Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Young, car loving mechanical engineer. Is the US a good place for me?

Young, car loving mechanical engineer. Is the US a good place for me?

Old May 23rd 2014, 12:56 am
Just Joined

Callum2102 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Young, car loving mechanical engineer. Is the US a good place for me?

Hi, I'm in my early 20s and am working as a Mechanical Engineer. I love cars, especially American muscle cars. Apparently America has a better car culture than the UK and the lifestyle seems better in terms of food and leisure.

Cars and fuel are cheaper in the US. So are homes, food and the cities are beautiful.

I've been considering a few areas that I'd move to such as Seattle, Houston and Detroit. They have industries that require Mechanical Engineering.

Should I visit the US before I move and if so for how long?
Does anyone with experience have advice, regrets or are you happy you left?
How hard would it be for me to get into the US and how long could it take?
Is the US as glamorous as us Brits imagine? Is there an American dream?
Old May 23rd 2014, 1:31 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Young, car loving mechanical engineer. Is the US a good place for me?

Welcome to BE.

Before you go any further please read through this...http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulask...ork_in_the_USA. If you fit into any of the categories then you may be in with a chance of moving to the US. The US is one of the most difficult countries in the world to move to.
Old May 23rd 2014, 1:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Young, car loving mechanical engineer. Is the US a good place for me?

Originally Posted by Callum2102
Is the US as glamorous as us Brits imagine? Is there an American dream?
Everything free in America
For a small fee in America
Old May 23rd 2014, 2:06 am
BE Enthusiast

FlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond repute

the cities are beautiful.
I've been considering a few areas that I'd move to such as [...] Detroit.
Old May 23rd 2014, 2:13 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FlyingDutchman6666

At least housing is cheap.
Old May 23rd 2014, 2:37 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know what's right and what's real anymore
And I don't know how I'm meant to feel anymore
And when do you think it will all become clear?
'Cause I'm being taken over by The Fear

Life's about film stars and less about mothers
It's all about fast cars and cussing each other
But it doesn't matter cause I'm packing plastic
And that's what makes my life so f***ing fantastic

And I am a weapon of massive consumption
And it's not my fault it's how I'm programmed to function

Old May 23rd 2014, 3:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

How hard would it be for me to get into the US and how long could it take?
Very hard. For most people it will never happen.
Old May 23rd 2014, 4:14 am
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

I think it's a myth that America has this car culture. To the vast majority of people, a car is purely a vehicle to get from A to B and so they are happy driving in soulless, uninspiring, battered old tanks of cars. I think it has this misconception because many are too lazy to walk anywhere, including the end I the street, and drive everywhere.
Old May 23rd 2014, 4:55 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markonline1
I think it's a myth that America has this car culture. To the vast majority of people, a car is purely a vehicle to get from A to B and so they are happy driving in soulless, uninspiring, battered old tanks of cars. I think it has this misconception because many are too lazy to walk anywhere, including the end I the street, and drive everywhere.
It's a myth if you're not part of it, but it is easier in the US for someone to have several cars, a small collection you might say, not because of the price of cars, or the price of petrol, but because you can have enough space to store a couple of old cars that you are renovating, or lovingly tend and polish, and take out on sunny summer days.

..... Is there an American dream?
There is, and some of us are living it. ...... Are you single? If so have you considered on-line dating? American girls love a British accent, ..... it doesn't even have to be an accent that would be considered attractive in the UK! My slightly flattened Sheffield vowels are enough to cause American women to go goey in an instant. It's quite bizarre.

My accent causes "accent glaze" where women just want to listen to you talk, but what you actually say does not seem to matter. It's rare that, after 12 years in the States, I don't notice at least one case of "accent glaze" every couple of weeks.

Last edited by Pulaski; May 23rd 2014 at 5:03 am.
Old May 23rd 2014, 5:04 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FlyingDutchman6666
My sentiments exactly, although I would also have added this ...
Old May 23rd 2014, 6:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Brigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Pulaski
It's a myth if you're not part of it, but it is easier in the US for someone to have several cars, a small collection you might say, not because of the price of cars, or the price of petrol, but because you can have enough space to store a couple of old cars that you are renovating, or lovingly tend and polish, and take out on sunny summer days.
:
So true particularly in my neck of the woods!
Old May 23rd 2014, 6:09 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brigette
So true particularly in my neck of the woods!
And everywhere from Virginia to Florida, and west to Texas, and for that matter in most or all of all but a handful of states.
Old May 23rd 2014, 6:43 am
BE Forum Addict

kodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
My accent causes "accent glaze" where women just want to listen to you talk, but what you actually say does not seem to matter. It's rare that, after 12 years in the States, I don't notice at least one case of "accent glaze" every couple of weeks.
My 14 yr old has just brought home his 8th grade year book LITTERED with girls commenting on how they adore his accent, and how they just love to hear him talk, doesn't matter what he's saying; one of his male friends wrote 'I wish I was British!' in the book in big letters.
Old May 23rd 2014, 10:13 am
Forum Regular

audi4t is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm amazed AND disturbed at the number of American homes that collect and display old refrigerators and ranges on their porch. Is this a blatant display of the US appliance culture or simply trying to impress neighbors with recent upgraded purchases. This phenomenon appears particularly prevalent in rural areas with abundant space. � ����� ����� ����� ����� ����
Old May 23rd 2014, 10:20 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by audi4t

I'm amazed AND disturbed at the number of American homes that collect and display old refrigerators and ranges on their porch. Is this a blatant display of the US appliance culture or simply trying to impress neighbors with recent upgraded purchases. This phenomenon appears particularly prevalent in rural areas with abundant space. ����������������� ��������������
Have a look at some of the houses featured here..

http://neighborshame.com/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.