British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Young British family should we move to florida (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/young-british-family-should-we-move-florida-927460/)

chantelle14286 Aug 25th 2019 5:22 pm

Young British family should we move to florida

Hi looking for some advice from other British expats who moved to Florida. We’re a young family with a 6 year old and 3 year old. I was born in Florida but have lived in the uk since I was very young. We live in the south of England, my husband is an IT project manager and is seeing lots of jobs in his field in Tampa. Although we are not unhappy in England house prices are so extortionate and we don’t think we’ll ever be able to afford a detached 4 bedroom home. They start at about £550k in our area. We’re seeing lots of beautiful pool houses in Tampa for around $380k so it all seems very attractive. From looking on glass door my husband thinks his salary would be around $120k in Tampa. I’m a us citizen and it seems my husband will get his permanent visa without a problem. We’re excited about the prospect of a bigger house with a pool and being close to beaches etc but I do worry about the lack of paid annual leave for returning to Europe for holidays etc. It’s such a huge move to sell our house in England and we don’t know whether to take the plunge. What are the pros and cons and should we expect a better quality of life for us and the kids in Florida? Many thanks in advance!

SanDiegogirl Aug 25th 2019 5:24 pm

Re: Young British family should we move to florida

Some info already on this subject:

https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-...r-life-927369/

civilservant Aug 25th 2019 6:01 pm

There's a Hurricane spinning up in the Western Atlantic right now, there's one of your reasons to avoid FL.

tom169 Aug 25th 2019 7:02 pm

I've found paid time off to be a non issue if you're in a decent job. I have more time off now than I did in the UK, but I do have to take sick days out of that.

SanDiegogirl Aug 25th 2019 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by chantelle14286 (Post 12727274)
Hi looking for some advice from other British expats who moved to Florida. We’re a young family with a 6 year old and 3 year old. I was born in Florida but have lived in the uk since I was very young.

Sounds like you are not eligible to pass on your US citizenship to your children ? If so, you'll need to sponsor your husband and the children..... that means a higher financial requirement.

chantelle14286 Aug 25th 2019 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by tom169 (Post 12727321)
I've found paid time off to be a non issue if you're in a decent job. I have more time off now than I did in the UK, but I do have to take sick days out of that.

thats really good to know. That’s one of our biggest worries that there’s no minimum statutory leave so we wouldn’t be able to come home to the uk for a couple of weeks a year to visit family. Is it becoming more common there to get decent annual leave?

civilservant Aug 25th 2019 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by chantelle14286 (Post 12727327)

thats really good to know. That’s one of our biggest worries that there’s no minimum statutory leave so we wouldn’t be able to come home to the uk for a couple of weeks a year to visit family. Is it becoming more common there to get decent annual leave?

Not really, no. It's totally state dependent. Most States have no (ie zero) mandatory annual leave requirement.

rpjs Aug 25th 2019 11:36 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl (Post 12727325)
Sounds like you are not eligible to pass on your US citizenship to your children ? If so, you'll need to sponsor your husband and the children..... that means a higher financial requirement.

As the children would be immigrating in the custody of a USC parent, doesn’t that mean that they automatically become US citizens on arrival? If so that means they would not require I-864 sponsorship.

SanDiegogirl Aug 26th 2019 12:05 am

Originally Posted by rpjs (Post 12727398)

As the children would be immigrating in the custody of a USC parent, doesn’t that mean that they automatically become US citizens on arrival? If so that means they would not require I-864 sponsorship.

You might be right.... can't remember all the rules...... but if not US citizens to start with would they not need sponsoring?

Sure an expert will be along soon....

rpjs Aug 26th 2019 12:38 am

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl (Post 12727405)
You might be right.... can't remember all the rules...... but if not US citizens to start with would they not need sponsoring?

Sure an expert will be along soon....

I think they still need immigrant visas but an I-864W waives the support requirement.

SanDiegogirl Aug 26th 2019 12:43 am

Originally Posted by rpjs (Post 12727408)

I think they still need immigrant visas but an I-864W waives the support requirement.

Think what I mean is wouldn't the children, if not US citizens, need a visa to move to the US........

lizzyq Aug 26th 2019 2:25 am

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl (Post 12727411)
Think what I mean is wouldn't the children, if not US citizens, need a visa to move to the US........

As I understand it, as non-US citizens the children would each need an immigrant visa to enter the USA, but upon entry to the USA in the care of their US citizen parent would immediately become citizens .

scrubbedexpat099 Aug 26th 2019 3:05 am

Still have to sponsor the Husband so a family 4, a reduced amount if they use a Joint Sponsor.

sherbert Aug 26th 2019 4:51 am

Many of the start ups/more modern IT companies offer unlimited leave (of course this doesn't mean that you can up sticks for 5 weeks whenever you want).

Cook_County Aug 26th 2019 8:16 am

Originally Posted by chantelle14286 (Post 12727274)
Hi looking for some advice from other British expats who moved to Florida. We’re a young family with a 6 year old and 3 year old. I was born in Florida but have lived in the uk since I was very young. We live in the south of England, my husband is an IT project manager and is seeing lots of jobs in his field in Tampa. Although we are not unhappy in England house prices are so extortionate and we don’t think we’ll ever be able to afford a detached 4 bedroom home. They start at about £550k in our area. We’re seeing lots of beautiful pool houses in Tampa for around $380k so it all seems very attractive. From looking on glass door my husband thinks his salary would be around $120k in Tampa. I’m a us citizen and it seems my husband will get his permanent visa without a problem. We’re excited about the prospect of a bigger house with a pool and being close to beaches etc but I do worry about the lack of paid annual leave for returning to Europe for holidays etc. It’s such a huge move to sell our house in England and we don’t know whether to take the plunge. What are the pros and cons and should we expect a better quality of life for us and the kids in Florida? Many thanks in advance!

If there is a mortgage on the UK home, you'll want to budget for some US tax payable on the foreign currency mortgage gain when the mortgage is paid off, whether or not you move to the States.