Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Young British family should we move to florida

Young British family should we move to florida

Old Aug 25th 2019, 5:22 pm
Just Joined

chantelle14286 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Young British family should we move to florida

Hi looking for some advice from other British expats who moved to Florida. We’re a young family with a 6 year old and 3 year old. I was born in Florida but have lived in the uk since I was very young. We live in the south of England, my husband is an IT project manager and is seeing lots of jobs in his field in Tampa. Although we are not unhappy in England house prices are so extortionate and we don’t think we’ll ever be able to afford a detached 4 bedroom home. They start at about £550k in our area. We’re seeing lots of beautiful pool houses in Tampa for around $380k so it all seems very attractive. From looking on glass door my husband thinks his salary would be around $120k in Tampa. I’m a us citizen and it seems my husband will get his permanent visa without a problem. We’re excited about the prospect of a bigger house with a pool and being close to beaches etc but I do worry about the lack of paid annual leave for returning to Europe for holidays etc. It’s such a huge move to sell our house in England and we don’t know whether to take the plunge. What are the pros and cons and should we expect a better quality of life for us and the kids in Florida? Many thanks in advance!
Old Aug 25th 2019, 5:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Young British family should we move to florida

Some info already on this subject:

Is it a better life?
Old Aug 25th 2019, 6:01 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

There's a Hurricane spinning up in the Western Atlantic right now, there's one of your reasons to avoid FL.
Old Aug 25th 2019, 7:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

I've found paid time off to be a non issue if you're in a decent job. I have more time off now than I did in the UK, but I do have to take sick days out of that.
Old Aug 25th 2019, 7:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chantelle14286
Hi looking for some advice from other British expats who moved to Florida. We’re a young family with a 6 year old and 3 year old. I was born in Florida but have lived in the uk since I was very young.
Sounds like you are not eligible to pass on your US citizenship to your children ? If so, you'll need to sponsor your husband and the children..... that means a higher financial requirement.
Old Aug 25th 2019, 7:12 pm
Just Joined

chantelle14286 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tom169
I've found paid time off to be a non issue if you're in a decent job. I have more time off now than I did in the UK, but I do have to take sick days out of that.
thats really good to know. That’s one of our biggest worries that there’s no minimum statutory leave so we wouldn’t be able to come home to the uk for a couple of weeks a year to visit family. Is it becoming more common there to get decent annual leave?
Old Aug 25th 2019, 7:39 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

thats really good to know. That’s one of our biggest worries that there’s no minimum statutory leave so we wouldn’t be able to come home to the uk for a couple of weeks a year to visit family. Is it becoming more common there to get decent annual leave?
Not really, no. It's totally state dependent. Most States have no (ie zero) mandatory annual leave requirement.
Old Aug 25th 2019, 11:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
Sounds like you are not eligible to pass on your US citizenship to your children ? If so, you'll need to sponsor your husband and the children..... that means a higher financial requirement.
As the children would be immigrating in the custody of a USC parent, doesn’t that mean that they automatically become US citizens on arrival? If so that means they would not require I-864 sponsorship.
Old Aug 26th 2019, 12:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by rpjs

As the children would be immigrating in the custody of a USC parent, doesn’t that mean that they automatically become US citizens on arrival? If so that means they would not require I-864 sponsorship.
You might be right.... can't remember all the rules...... but if not US citizens to start with would they not need sponsoring?

Sure an expert will be along soon....

Last edited by SanDiegogirl; Aug 26th 2019 at 12:22 am.
Old Aug 26th 2019, 12:38 am
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

You might be right.... can't remember all the rules...... but if not US citizens to start with would they not need sponsoring?

Sure an expert will be along soon....
I think they still need immigrant visas but an I-864W waives the support requirement.
Old Aug 26th 2019, 12:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by rpjs

I think they still need immigrant visas but an I-864W waives the support requirement.
Think what I mean is wouldn't the children, if not US citizens, need a visa to move to the US........
Old Aug 26th 2019, 2:25 am
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

Think what I mean is wouldn't the children, if not US citizens, need a visa to move to the US........
As I understand it, as non-US citizens the children would each need an immigrant visa to enter the USA, but upon entry to the USA in the care of their US citizen parent would immediately become citizens .
Old Aug 26th 2019, 3:05 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Still have to sponsor the Husband so a family 4, a reduced amount if they use a Joint Sponsor.
Old Aug 26th 2019, 4:51 am
BE Enthusiast

sherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond repute

Many of the start ups/more modern IT companies offer unlimited leave (of course this doesn't mean that you can up sticks for 5 weeks whenever you want).
Old Aug 26th 2019, 8:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Cook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond repute

Hi looking for some advice from other British expats who moved to Florida. We’re a young family with a 6 year old and 3 year old. I was born in Florida but have lived in the uk since I was very young. We live in the south of England, my husband is an IT project manager and is seeing lots of jobs in his field in Tampa. Although we are not unhappy in England house prices are so extortionate and we don’t think we’ll ever be able to afford a detached 4 bedroom home. They start at about £550k in our area. We’re seeing lots of beautiful pool houses in Tampa for around $380k so it all seems very attractive. From looking on glass door my husband thinks his salary would be around $120k in Tampa. I’m a us citizen and it seems my husband will get his permanent visa without a problem. We’re excited about the prospect of a bigger house with a pool and being close to beaches etc but I do worry about the lack of paid annual leave for returning to Europe for holidays etc. It’s such a huge move to sell our house in England and we don’t know whether to take the plunge. What are the pros and cons and should we expect a better quality of life for us and the kids in Florida? Many thanks in advance!
If there is a mortgage on the UK home, you'll want to budget for some US tax payable on the foreign currency mortgage gain when the mortgage is paid off, whether or not you move to the States.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.