Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

You Wouldn't Get This In England!

You Wouldn't Get This In England!

Old Sep 30th 2006, 6:29 pm
Forum Regular

kev_in_hawaii has much to be proud ofkev_in_hawaii has much to be proud ofkev_in_hawaii has much to be proud ofkev_in_hawaii has much to be proud ofkev_in_hawaii has much to be proud ofkev_in_hawaii has much to be proud ofkev_in_hawaii has much to be proud ofkev_in_hawaii has much to be proud ofkev_in_hawaii has much to be proud ofkev_in_hawaii has much to be proud ofkev_in_hawaii has much to be proud of
Default You Wouldn't Get This In England!

I was just tidying up the room and accidently disturbed an anole's (tiny lizard - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anole ) hiding place. A small, open box that had been covered over time with various papers. So I put some papers back on, with a gap so it could escape.

Now it keeps peeping over the box, just enough of its head to see, giving me the eye, and then disappearing again, haha. Very funny to watch!

Not something you would tend to experience back in the suburbs of London

Anyone else have unusual creature experiences since moving to the USA
Old Sep 30th 2006, 7:07 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: You Wouldn't Get This In England!

The wildlife here is one of the most positive aspects of Texas for us.

Small gekos like this one keep finding their way into our house.

Larger ones, with purple bellies, run around the outside of our windows at night, catching the insects that are attracted to the light.

We could live without the giant cockroaches that sometimes find their way under the poison-treaded door sills and then run wildly around the house for the few minutes they take to die.

We love the huge praying mantids (mantisses? manti?) that we find sometimes in the back yard.

Last weekend, fossil hunting in a local creek, we were stalked by assassin bugs . I'd heard of them, but didn't recognise them until one was crawling up my leg.

I can certainly live without experiencing the "initially painless" fangs of America's largets blood-sucking insect (if you don't count lawyers)!

:scared: :scared: :scared:
Old Sep 30th 2006, 7:18 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kev_in_hawaii

yeah, but nothing quite so fun...stinking skunks....random porcupine that played havoc with the rubbish...I saw it's fat arse scurrying away the other day *l*

Almost ran over a wolf and a coyote, not at the same time, but both were slightly surreal and creepy, out in the middle of no where maine at night.

See far more deer on the roads here, saw plenty in Austria, and quite a few in Windsor, but randomly on the roads, more often than not splattered by the roads, but you do see them....yet to see a stupid moose in the wild, but that would be fun.

Seeing a real live racoon was also fun rather than as usual road kill or as a hat.

Not seen any foxes or hedgehogs, ain't bothered by foxes, but I swear I can hear one every couple of nights around here...and rather miss the hedgehogs, don't know why, but there rather fun.

Cardinals and Blue jays are rather fun to see, surprised by how small the cardinals really were though, compared to these fat blue jays.

yet to see a bear in the wild either, that would be nice...FIL has seen plenty and had one attack his cab a couple times, oh the joy
Old Sep 30th 2006, 7:20 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Our cat keeps bringing back garter snakes
Old Sep 30th 2006, 7:46 pm
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

We have an abundant supply of all sorts of arachnids...black widows, brown widows, banana spiders etc.

And of course gators. And Armadillos
Old Sep 30th 2006, 8:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
We have an abundant supply of all sorts of arachnids...black widows, brown widows, banana spiders etc.

And of course gators. And Armadillos
Sweet funny little things Armadillos
Old Sep 30th 2006, 8:21 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Lot's of poxy squirrels, which I'd like to exterminate.
Chipmunks and Groundhogs, which are cute.
Skunk roadkill smells like nothing I've ever smelt before and heaven help you if you get some on your tyres.
Seen the odd Coyote in the neighbourhood.

Lightning bugs are pretty neat as well.
Old Sep 30th 2006, 8:42 pm
No income tax no V.A.T.

Rodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
Lot's of poxy squirrels, which I'd like to exterminate.
Chipmunks and Groundhogs, which are cute.
Skunk roadkill smells like nothing I've ever smelt before and heaven help you if you get some on your tyres.
Seen the odd Coyote in the neighbourhood.

Blimey...... There is Coyote's in Jersey????
Old Sep 30th 2006, 8:43 pm
Forum Regular

luivega has a reputation beyond reputeluivega has a reputation beyond reputeluivega has a reputation beyond reputeluivega has a reputation beyond reputeluivega has a reputation beyond reputeluivega has a reputation beyond reputeluivega has a reputation beyond reputeluivega has a reputation beyond reputeluivega has a reputation beyond reputeluivega has a reputation beyond reputeluivega has a reputation beyond repute

Fireflies rock my world

I swear they give off some kind of mood enhancing drug, because everytime they're around I feel happy.

I think childhood memories of Tinkerbell may be the real cause of the feelgood factor of fireflies though.

Andrea
Old Sep 30th 2006, 8:46 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gruffbrown

yeah, there cool, saw a random little swarm of them the other day, not seen any since though
Old Sep 30th 2006, 8:50 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rodney you plonker
Blimey...... There is Coyote's in Jersey????
There is...meep meep.
Old Sep 30th 2006, 8:51 pm
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kev_in_hawaii
I was just tidying up the room and accidently disturbed an anole's (tiny lizard - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anole ) hiding place. A small, open box that had been covered over time with various papers. So I put some papers back on, with a gap so it could escape.

Now it keeps peeping over the box, just enough of its head to see, giving me the eye, and then disappearing again, haha. Very funny to watch!

Not something you would tend to experience back in the suburbs of London

Cockroaches in the first apartment I had here
Old Sep 30th 2006, 8:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
Cockroaches in the first apartment I had here
I never even seen one till I moved over here
Old Sep 30th 2006, 8:58 pm
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britvic
I never even seen one till I moved over here
Me neither. I used to share the apartment with a Mexican guy who had 2 jobs. I used to sleep on the couch and he would come back after his second job and wake me up frying spam.
Oh the memories of the sweet frying spam :scared:

No wonder we had roaches
Old Sep 30th 2006, 9:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by lionheart
Me neither. I used to share the apartment with a Mexican guy who had 2 jobs. I used to sleep on the couch and he would come back after his second job and wake me up frying spam.
Oh the memories of the sweet frying spam :scared:

No wonder we had roaches
Oh sorry Tom, I cant return the Karma but that did make me laugh.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.