Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Are you worried about travelling?

Are you worried about travelling?

Old Dec 23rd 2003, 10:12 pm
Rock Goddess

Rockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond repute
Question Are you worried about travelling?

I'm flying to Connecticut for Christmas, and I don't know about you, but all this talk of hightened terrorist activity is making me rather nervous. It's all very well to say it could happen anywhere and you shouldn't worry about it, but I am thinking more about it at the moment. My Dad (bless him) even called me up and asked me to cancel my flight. I don't want to worry him but I've been waiting 3 years to spend Christmas with my partner and I'm not going to cancel it, but even so, it's a scary prospect. Are you flying over Christmas?
Old Dec 23rd 2003, 10:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

Nope. Thats what I hate about this terror level alert system they have in place over here. Talk about scare mongering. Fox News had "Terror alert level high" at the bottom of the screen all damn day on sunday. Nice way to welcome in one of the busiest travel times.
Old Dec 23rd 2003, 11:16 pm
Forum Regular

sparkler has a reputation beyond reputesparkler has a reputation beyond reputesparkler has a reputation beyond reputesparkler has a reputation beyond reputesparkler has a reputation beyond reputesparkler has a reputation beyond reputesparkler has a reputation beyond reputesparkler has a reputation beyond reputesparkler has a reputation beyond reputesparkler has a reputation beyond reputesparkler has a reputation beyond repute

I know, I've been changing my mind about going at Christmas because of this heightened terror alert. It's a real pain because this is the only time when I can get time off to see my man in the US. I'm still thinking it over and should make up my mind in a day or two! However, it is good to know there is a lot of security now. How confusing!!!! sparkler.
Old Dec 23rd 2003, 11:35 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

My fiance is an airline pilot, my dad was an airline pilot and I've been flying since I was born.

We've lived through worse times in terms of terrorism than this. If you were in London during the 70's and 80's with the IRA campaign it was a hell of a lot worse. If there was a real risk airports would be closed and planes wouldn't be flying.

I think the current warnings are more along the lines of telling people that now Saddam has been caught there is a chance of a retaliation and not to be complacent.

A lot of my friends have lost their jobs in the airlines and have no chance of future employment. Get yer bums on seats and don't give into propaganda and a pyschological terror battle.

My fiance starts a three day trip tomorrow, I'll be flying just after Christmas and I really don't give it a second thought.
Old Dec 24th 2003, 2:27 am
BE Forum Addict

snorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond repute

I'm of the opinion that changing the details of our every day lives other than being more aware generally is pandering to the terrorists and damaging the economy - which is exactly what they want.

Many airlines are hanging on by the skin of their teeth as it is. Someone can probably find the statistics on your likelihood of being killed by an act of terrorism, I would guess it's not very high.

I guess like many others I am waiting to see if this latest elevation of security levels amounts to anything but we can't all just stay inside our own homes waiting for something to happen.

I'm with Pimbot - the scare mongering isn't helping anyone. There is a big difference between asking people to be alert and frightening everyone silly.
Old Dec 24th 2003, 3:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute

I should think its one of the safest times to fly - security should be tight. Terrorists strike when people are least expecting it- not when the whole country is on high alert.
Old Dec 24th 2003, 3:16 am
British/Irish(ish) Duncs

Location: Cambridge MA, via Mississippi and Belfast Northern Ireland.
Duncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant future

The whole thing is Orwellian drivel. keep the population afraid of the external enemy and they will be more compliant and controllable.

Besides which the drive to the airport will still be the most dangerous part of the journey. Around 48,000 killed on the road each year as compared to how many by terrorists? besides Al queda arent about to try the same idea again they will move on. personally i am more concerned about things like the pathetic lack of security at lots of border crossings or the 95% of shipped good arriving at ports everyday without being customs inspected or poisons in the water supply or just good old fashioned big van/truck bombs everything you need for that is already here in the USA. You cant control it so dont let it wreck your life. Life is a risk so just live it.

regards,

Duncan
Old Dec 24th 2003, 3:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Duncs
The whole thing is Orwellian drivel. keep the population afraid of the external enemy and they will be more compliant and controllable.

Duncan
Yep that's what I think too...... anyone who hasn't read 1984 should put it on their Christmas list.
Old Dec 24th 2003, 4:14 am
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

This Alert system is, without a doubt, the dumbest thing in the world ever. It only accomplishes the opposite of what it sets out to achieve.

The best way to combat terrorism is by constant vigilance, by implementing this system it gives people a false sense of security, they see extra police and military aircraft overhead and think they do not need to be vigilant as someone else is doing it.

The Alert system also does the terrorists job for them, by elevating the status all the news channels have gone into some bizarre feeding frenzy running off 100's of scenerios scaring people - thus causing terror thus being the terrorists and Al Queda has done **** all and has won!

This is bush watching his arse, by sticking the alert up if anything happens he can say he told us it was coming, if nothing happens he looks like he averted a terrorist attack!

Now I am going to watch Fox News, be so scared that I will never leave the house again!

Patrick
Old Dec 24th 2003, 2:48 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

If the soldiers are willing to do what they're doing in Iraq, surely the least we can do is continue with travel plans, and be alert?