Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

You are what you eat?

You are what you eat?

Old Dec 20th 2004, 6:38 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Re: You are what you eat?

Originally Posted by ironporer
So choose not to buy those, most supermarkets have a bakery dept. where you can buy European style bread, baked fresh each day. Our Publix has the best baguettes and French bread I have ever had. Or... buy a bread machine and make your own.
You have to pulling my leg. I have serious doubts that any American grocery store bakery can bake excellent baguettes and French bread.

Have you ever even bought bread or baked goods from a family run bakery in the US? Some artisan bakers in the US are keeping traditional baking techniques alive. La Brea (provides bread to Harris Teeters in my area) is not one of them...

NC Penguin
Old Dec 21st 2004, 12:13 am
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: You are what you eat?

Originally Posted by sibsie
It's worked in my favour here. I don't like American bread, sweets, choccie or fast food. I've dropped 25lbs since I moved here. I do have a far more active lifestyle but I put most of it down to being really picky about what I eat.
Blimey Sibs there'll be nothing left of you girl!
I know what you mean though first time I spent 6 months in the USA in 2002 I lost 25lbs too.
Old Dec 21st 2004, 2:36 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
You have to pulling my leg. I have serious doubts that any American grocery store bakery can bake excellent baguettes and French bread.
What, you don't like soggy baguettes and floppy French bread?
Old Dec 21st 2004, 2:49 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
What, you don't like soggy baguettes and floppy French bread?
Soggy and floppy rarely feature in my shopping vocabulary...

NC Penguin
Old Dec 21st 2004, 5:08 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

You have to pulling my leg. I have serious doubts that any American grocery store bakery can bake excellent baguettes and French bread

NC Penguin
No leg pulling at all- although Publix calls their's "Cuban" bread, it is excellent. Great crispy outer crust and tender crumb inside. Baguettes come in the traditional 'skinny' loaves, and are also excellent. They even have a 'shephards' bread- big round loaves with thick crust...My wife loves it and even admits that it is up to Spanish quality.

If you have Publix up in NC, giv'em a try.
Old Dec 21st 2004, 5:38 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

No leg pulling at all- although Publix calls their's "Cuban" bread, it is excellent. Great crispy outer crust and tender crumb inside. Baguettes come in the traditional 'skinny' loaves, and are also excellent. They even have a 'shephards' bread- big round loaves with thick crust...My wife loves it and even admits that it is up to Spanish quality.

I don't think there are any Publix near me. I've given up on grocery store bread. Ninth St. (local bread manufacturer in Durham, NC) bread is OK but it's all wheat based.

I get my bread from Gulghupf in Durham (www.gulghupf.com). They even have a section of the site dedicated to "Breadeducation". See-

http://www.guglhupf.com/breaduca/breaduca.html

NC Penguin

NC Penguin
Old Dec 21st 2004, 6:30 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Cuban bread is delicious, though I find they don't bake it for as long as they should.

White Mountain Bread (the loaf you're referring to) is the only bread I'll buy here (bake my own). It is up to Spanish/Portuguese standards.
Old Dec 21st 2004, 9:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

effi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Bob
"...According to the National Consumer Council some supermarkets appear to be taking healthy eating more seriously than others.

Differences in labelling, salt levels in own-label products and store layout all have an impact on customers' diets, a report found. ...

http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0...264230,00.html

So how would you rank or rate grocery stores over here then?
I grew up in the 60s so am probably older than most of you on here. Meat and 3 veg and a moderate amount of excercise is all that is needed. Too much fast food shite over here. Americans in general are lazy when it comes to cooking. My hairdresser was asking me the other day what I was having for dinner, I replied "shepherds pie and veg" I had to explain to her how to make it. She said "so how do you cook the potatoes", I said "boil them" she said "how do you do that ". Good grief it is unbelievable. I work a normal work day, and still come home and cook from scratch every night. By the time the pizza man gets to the door you can have cooked a meal for yourself.

Supermarkets in general are no different than in the UK, of course you are going to find it tough to get the Brit stuff, this is the US after all. My shopping habits did not change much when I moved here. I find though that there is better access to more varied foodstuffs. Good God, I can remember when the only time I saw an orange was in my Xmas stocking, now I live where the trees grow on the side of the street. Tomatoes back in the UK years ago were a once a year thing in the summer for a couple of weeks, and they cost an arm and a leg. I could go on and on. A good varied diet and excercise is all that is needed to maintain a healthy weight. Oh, I also get my bread fresh baked at my local Safeway. They too have shepherds bread, lovely stuff. You can keep the packaged kind, absolute crap, soggy and too sweet, no wonder the dentists make out like bandits over here.
Old Dec 21st 2004, 9:51 pm
Never right in the head!

Yosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by effi
I grew up in the 60s so am probably older than most of you on here. Meat and 3 veg and a moderate amount of excercise is all that is needed. Too much fast food shite over here. Americans in general are lazy when it comes to cooking. My hairdresser was asking me the other day what I was having for dinner, I replied "shepherds pie and veg" I had to explain to her how to make it. She said "so how do you cook the potatoes", I said "boil them" she said "how do you do that ". Good grief it is unbelievable. I work a normal work day, and still come home and cook from scratch every night. By the time the pizza man gets to the door you can have cooked a meal for yourself.

Supermarkets in general are no different than in the UK, of course you are going to find it tough to get the Brit stuff, this is the US after all. My shopping habits did not change much when I moved here. I find though that there is better access to more varied foodstuffs. Good God, I can remember when the only time I saw an orange was in my Xmas stocking, now I live where the trees grow on the side of the street. Tomatoes back in the UK years ago were a once a year thing in the summer for a couple of weeks, and they cost an arm and a leg. I could go on and on. A good varied diet and excercise is all that is needed to maintain a healthy weight. Oh, I also get my bread fresh baked at my local Safeway. They too have shepherds bread, lovely stuff. You can keep the packaged kind, absolute crap, soggy and too sweet, no wonder the dentists make out like bandits over here.
My sentiments exactly

my diet hasn't changed at all, roast dinner on a sunday, baked potatoes, chicken, beef, sausages, plenty of veg through out the week.

Work out at least 3 times a week, work at the moment has been very hectic, but still manage to exercise.

I try and stear clear of any deserts over here, way to bloody sweet!
Old Dec 23rd 2004, 7:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SarahUK
Sorry, no offence to the Americans on the board but I think American food is shite! Things that I took for granted in the UK I can no longer get over here, for example, Greek yoghurt, lamb that doesn't cost $1bn per lb, fromage frais, good bacon, creme fraiche decent chocoalte bars etc etc. I think the fact that everything you can get in Tesco is now only available in speciality deli stores speaks volumes. Everything in Walmart will kill you! Have you tried looking at the labels? Its almost impossible to buy anything without hydrogenated oils or high fructose corn syrup in - I'm scared of getting diabetes over here - and becoming a big fat pie.
The difference between being a girlfriend in the UK and a wife in the USA?
About 30lbs.
No offence to me at all. I found, sorry to repeat myself, that there are just as many processed horrible foods in the middle aisles of Sainsburys as there are in Safeway here in Washington. And yes I miss food from the UK as well....got very used to things there.
Old Dec 23rd 2004, 7:55 pm
Forum Regular

Big Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of light

We've got a chain of markets called Larry's up here on the Seattle eastside...the best supermarket I've every been in for fresh bread, seafood etc, ethnic foods, organics etc. Only trouble is you need to bring a wheelbarrow of $$$ everytime you shop there.

Trader Joe's is pretty good too.
Old Dec 23rd 2004, 8:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Big Vern
We've got a chain of markets called Larry's up here on the Seattle eastside...the best supermarket I've every been in for fresh bread, seafood etc, ethnic foods, organics etc. Only trouble is you need to bring a wheelbarrow of $$$ everytime you shop there.

Trader Joe's is pretty good too.
We go to Trader Joe's as well - Bellevue. Not heard of Larry's, where is that? Also, if you're wanting to spend some money and get something from the UK - British Pantry in Redmond....their fish and chips aren't too bad, but expensive.
Old Dec 23rd 2004, 11:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

NC Penguin
Have to agree there. The best baquettes I ever had were in France.
Old Dec 23rd 2004, 11:09 pm
The fattest member

fatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to all

Originally Posted by AmerLisa

I have to agree with that too French bread is the best, Although there's a much bigger access to all kinds of crazy vegetables here, the Americans don't know how to cook a decent loaf of bread, having said that I like their cornbread which I'd never had till I came here.
Old Dec 23rd 2004, 11:10 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
There was a pretty decent bakery in Oxford, very weird, the wife was Austrian and made fantastic Austrian breads and the hubby was a frog...odd combo to end up in blighty...but hey, nice bakery
opposite LB's, a fantastic Lebanese place too...very yummy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.