Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Are You Taking an American's Job?

Old Aug 14th 2009, 5:10 pm
UK>Bay Area, CA>UK

Chrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Are You Taking an American's Job?

Originally Posted by chartreuse
Not yet, but I'm trying real hard.
I was just gonna say that!
Old Aug 14th 2009, 6:04 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
that's me done then.
We can be mad together.
Old Aug 14th 2009, 6:37 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jumping doris
We can be mad together.
yeah, it's not so bad being bovine. I can chew a cud with the best of 'em.
Old Aug 14th 2009, 7:20 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
yeah, it's not so bad being bovine. I can chew a cud with the best of 'em.
Old Aug 16th 2009, 2:40 am
LaCarteraEnLaCocina

Nits22 is a name known to allNits22 is a name known to allNits22 is a name known to allNits22 is a name known to allNits22 is a name known to allNits22 is a name known to allNits22 is a name known to allNits22 is a name known to allNits22 is a name known to allNits22 is a name known to allNits22 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by YoungSteve17
There is no such thing as "American Jobs"

They may be jobs based in the US but that doesn't mean they are reserved for people of US nationality.

Most jobs that south Americans come to do most yanks wouldn't do anyway
Sorry if I'm going off a tangent here but... excuse me? As a South American, I find these kind of comments offensive... I have a bachelors degree and I only live in the US to be with my husband. I just think this "Latinos only do the jobs Americans don't want" is the same kind of misconception that leads people to say the that immigrants are stealing American jobs. I just hate these generalizations.

Sorry, I just felt I had to say something about this comment...
Old Aug 16th 2009, 3:36 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by YoungSteve17
There is no such thing as "American Jobs"

They may be jobs based in the US but that doesn't mean they are reserved for people of US nationality.

Most jobs that south Americans come to do most yanks wouldn't do anyway
Most yanks did them for many years when the wage was decent, most farmers etc nowadays pay far less then any legal resident could live on.

Same thing is happening here in Canada now, I live in a farming area and now wages are so low it makes no sense for a legal resident to do the job, so they bring in workers from Mexico.

Its not that legal residents wont do it, its they can't live on the wage most of these jobs pay.
Old Aug 16th 2009, 3:00 pm

thinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bradford Lass
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJcqY...layer_embedded

Just saw this ad on TV, when I am looking for a job as well!

The website encourages people to complain to Obama and tell their friends, wonder if this will have a knock on effect on us here working or trying to find a job.
I have my N-400 interview soon; I'll be sure to complain about all you bloody foreigners taking jobs from us Americans as soon as I have the certificate of naturalization in hand
Old Aug 16th 2009, 5:41 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nits22
Sorry if I'm going off a tangent here but... excuse me? As a South American, I find these kind of comments offensive... I have a bachelors degree and I only live in the US to be with my husband. I just think this "Latinos only do the jobs Americans don't want" is the same kind of misconception that leads people to say the that immigrants are stealing American jobs. I just hate these generalizations.

Sorry, I just felt I had to say something about this comment...
The irony being of course, that Young Steve used 'South America' for his example. I don't think I've ever heard a whisper about SA in the 'jobs Americans won't do' argument.

A lot of people don't realize that Mexico is part of N America, and then there's that part in the middle....
Old Aug 16th 2009, 5:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

caleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond repute

Fortunately, there are no Americans* who can do my job (it's a very specific blend of physics, biology, optics, programming and engineering).

If my project gets canned, I'll be on the next flight home. But as long as the executives want it, they gotta keep me around. Which is nice. In fact they better bump my pay a bit at the next review or I might have to find other jobs that Americans can't do.

Of course, I am far too busy and important to have time to train someone else to do what I can do!

*There are two or three, but they are all professors at Ivy Leagues. Good luck getting them on the cheap!
Old Aug 17th 2009, 3:26 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
A lot of people don't realize that Mexico is part of N America, and then there's that part in the middle....
Though the problem in my area does tend to be from Brazilians and Ecuadorians, amusingly though, most bar a handful did come here by legal means at some stage and then just stayed....car wash joints, fast food joints and landscaping seem to be the big employers.

Most of them are really cool folks though and can't hold a grudge to them for it, bar one bloke who is just an arse hole, being an illegal is irrelevant there though
Old Aug 17th 2009, 4:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

CelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caleyjag
Fortunately, there are no Americans* who can do my job (it's a very specific blend of physics, biology, optics, programming and engineering).

If my project gets canned, I'll be on the next flight home. But as long as the executives want it, they gotta keep me around. Which is nice. In fact they better bump my pay a bit at the next review or I might have to find other jobs that Americans can't do.

Of course, I am far too busy and important to have time to train someone else to do what I can do!

*There are two or three, but they are all professors at Ivy Leagues. Good luck getting them on the cheap!
It sounds to me that you would make a great posterboy for the UK education debate.
Old Aug 17th 2009, 5:12 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CelticRover
It sounds to me that you would make a great posterboy for the UK education debate.
aye, but he's a bit of a flip flopper there too
Old Aug 17th 2009, 5:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

caleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
aye, but he's a bit of a flip flopper there too
No. I am a 100% product of the fine, fine Scottish public education system. Primary, secondary, undergraduate and PhD!

I just piddled about in the US on academic exchanges and postdocs and whatnot.

I'm not too sure how the English/Welsh/N. Irish system measure up (they are rather different), but as far as I'm concerned the Scottish education system is fantastic. I'd go as far as to say it's world class. I don't know if the facts back that up, but it's the match of anything I have encountered on my travels. Too bad so many Scots don't appreciate how lucky they are.
Old Aug 18th 2009, 2:39 pm
Forum Regular

cpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of light

Don't know about taking an Americans job but my company keeps giving its employees the distinct impression we are currently occupying an Indian's job.
Old Aug 18th 2009, 8:33 pm
Forum Regular

Scott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OP
No.

I am taking two Americans jobs.

Sorry.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.