Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Was this you at Schlotzsky's today?

Was this you at Schlotzsky's today?

Old Aug 16th 2007, 4:35 pm
Forum Regular

goldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to behold
Default Was this you at Schlotzsky's today?

I was in the queue for drive thru at Schlotzsky's deli in Cary, NC today around noon. Ahead of us was the coolest blue mini Cooper. Two Union Jacks in the rear window, registration read, 'BLIMIE'.

Made my day!

Though I did wonder if the driver misses Britain as much as I do and hates NC...
Old Aug 16th 2007, 4:53 pm
Account Closed

southern comfort is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Was this you at Schlotzsky's today?

Originally Posted by goldcrown
I was in the queue for drive thru at Schlotzsky's deli in Cary, NC today around noon. Ahead of us was the coolest blue mini Cooper. Two Union Jacks in the rear window, registration read, 'BLIMIE'.

Made my day!

Though I did wonder if the driver misses Britain as much as I do and hates NC...
Schlotzsky's ? no wonder you hate NC
Old Aug 16th 2007, 5:01 pm
Forum Regular

goldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to behold

It was our first time trying the place. I thought if I saw two Union Jacks on a Cooper in the queue, that was a good sign.

It wasn't very good. Nothing tastes good here, though. The London Fish & Chips is alright.

I live in suburban wasteland where everyone around me says, 'it's so great here, best place to be if you have kids'. Give me a break. Plus everything for kids in the 'Carolina Parent' and other mags is in Raleigh and Durham, some in Chapel Hill.

Why I left the most beautiful place I've ever lived (UK) for this, I do not know. Well, I know, but it's small comfort.
Old Aug 17th 2007, 12:03 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Made my day!

I don't do Schlotsky's and I certainly would be found dead in Cary during the daytime on a weekday...
Old Aug 17th 2007, 12:06 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

It was our first time trying the place. I thought if I saw two Union Jacks on a Cooper in the queue, that was a good sign.

It wasn't very good. Nothing tastes good here, though. The London Fish & Chips is alright.

I live in suburban wasteland where everyone around me says, 'it's so great here, best place to be if you have kids'. Give me a break. Plus everything for kids in the 'Carolina Parent' and other mags is in Raleigh and Durham, some in Chapel Hill.

Why I left the most beautiful place I've ever lived (UK) for this, I do not know. Well, I know, but it's small comfort.
I pick up Carolina Parent for a laugh from time to time and there certainly is enough stuff going on in Wake County for kids. Since you live in the US, you're going to have to get used to shuttling your kids to activities by car. You don't live in village any more.

Happily, Durham is nothing like Cary.
Old Aug 17th 2007, 1:54 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
I don't do Schlotsky's and I certainly would be found dead in Cary during the daytime on a weekday...
If you're confident about your demise in Cary, that's a bigger problem than a shite toasted deli sandwich.
Old Aug 17th 2007, 2:14 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

If you're confident about your demise in Cary, that's a bigger problem than a shite toasted deli sandwich.
If I have to go to Cary, it's not in the daytime.

You really need to get out more. Have you been to Durham? I think your kids would enjoy the Museum of Life and Science. My Brit friends took their son there in 2006. They had a good time, especially the boy.
Old Aug 17th 2007, 2:21 am
Forum Regular

We've been to Life & Science Museum five times. Six for my son, as his Cary daycamp (he's tracked out currently) went there as well. In fact, they bus the children only to Raleigh or Durham for all activities outside the centre.

Visited so far:
Hillsborough
Carrboro
Pittsboro
Durham incl. Durham Bulls game, eating downtown, seeing historic buildings, been to the Streets more times than I can count
North Raleigh (wow around Falls Point, gorgeous)
Raleigh (Crabtree Mall, and downtown, love the historic homes around Glenwood)
Mebane
Chapel Hill (great vibe)
Lots of lake swimming (Jordan, Crabtree, etc)
Sailing
Cary, Raleigh, Hillsborough Farmer's Markets
Course all over Cary, easy enough to do that

We like to see a new place every day of the weekend. Thankfully, the kids are agreeable, long as we walk around downtowns (like Carrboro) or get something yummy to eat. Or Frankie's once in a while.
Old Aug 17th 2007, 2:27 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

We've been to Life & Science Museum five times. Six for my son, as his Cary daycamp (he's tracked out currently) went there as well. In fact, they bus the children only to Raleigh or Durham for all activities outside the centre.

Visited so far:
Hillsborough
Carrboro
Pittsboro
Durham incl. Durham Bulls game, eating downtown, seeing historic buildings, been to the Streets more times than I can count
North Raleigh (wow around Falls Point, gorgeous)
Raleigh (Crabtree Mall, and downtown, love the historic homes around Glenwood)
Mebane
Chapel Hill (great vibe)
Lots of lake swimming (Jordan, Crabtree, etc)
Sailing
Cary, Raleigh, Hillsborough Farmer's Markets
Course all over Cary, easy enough to do that

We like to see a new place every day of the weekend. Thankfully, the kids are agreeable, long as we walk around downtowns (like Carrboro) or get something yummy to eat. Or Frankie's once in a while.
You have covered some ground. When it gets cooler, you should visit Duke Gardens and Duke Chapel (not on a game day though).

If you're near East Campus at Duke, you should stop by Locopops for paletas. Your children will enjoy them (just don't let them lick the mango chile. I just ate one yesterday. Talk about hot!). While you're near East Campus, take a walk down Ninth St.

If you would like further suggestions about what to see and do in Durham, just send me a PM.

PS: if you go to Crabtree Valley Mall at weekends, you're obviously a sadist.:-)
Old Aug 17th 2007, 2:34 am
Forum Regular

We were not only at Crabtree at the weekend, it was prom night on one of our visits. Interesting to see the dresses and tuxes. Crabtree has shops we don't in Cary (like j.crew) so it's worth it to me.

We made the mistake of going to Duke on a very rainy day so didn't see much. We must go to the gardens, I agree.

I think we have seen all the subdivisions, and the new building in these areas (not for Carrboro, well done on them for preventing the Cary type growth). So much changing so quickly. If someone would give me one of those mansions in North Raleigh (like in SD 'Devon'), I'd take it. But so many homes are forgetable...well, not Kitt's Creek. What an oddity that is...

Thanks for the offer of ideas! There is a ton 'to do in the Triangle and beyond. I prefer something else (life in Britain) but I do realise I have three children under five and I do not hold them back. But in my heart, this is not where I want to be. I'm glad everyone and their mother loves it here, tho, no shortage of people raving to me how heavenly Cary is...
Old Aug 17th 2007, 3:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

We were not only at Crabtree at the weekend, it was prom night on one of our visits. Interesting to see the dresses and tuxes. Crabtree has shops we don't in Cary (like j.crew) so it's worth it to me.

We made the mistake of going to Duke on a very rainy day so didn't see much. We must go to the gardens, I agree.

I think we have seen all the subdivisions, and the new building in these areas (not for Carrboro, well done on them for preventing the Cary type growth). So much changing so quickly. If someone would give me one of those mansions in North Raleigh (like in SD 'Devon'), I'd take it. But so many homes are forgetable...well, not Kitt's Creek. What an oddity that is...

Thanks for the offer of ideas! There is a ton 'to do in the Triangle and beyond. I prefer something else (life in Britain) but I do realise I have three children under five and I do not hold them back. But in my heart, this is not where I want to be. I'm glad everyone and their mother loves it here, tho, no shortage of people raving to me how heavenly Cary is...
Hope you enjoy yourself as best as you're able while you're here. Good for you for exploring!
Old Aug 18th 2007, 2:38 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by KJ2007
Hope you enjoy yourself as best as you're able while you're here. Good for you for exploring!
Thanks very much!

And NCPenguin, as far as 'not living in a village anymore', seems I have moved to a village. Too many subdivisions with 'Village' in the name, imo, and we're in one of 'em. Moved from an English town to an faux English village!
Old Aug 18th 2007, 3:44 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

Thanks very much!

And NCPenguin, as far as 'not living in a village anymore', seems I have moved to a village. Too many subdivisions with 'Village' in the name, imo, and we're in one of 'em. Moved from an English town to an faux English village!
Don't be fooled by the name of subdivisions. All over the Triangle, there are subdivisions with pretentious names, some alluding to the UK and/or the gentry.

If you look at the stats for Cary, you'll see the explosion in the number of residents. If you think it's bad now, you won't believe how bad traffic will be in say 2-3 years time.