Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

You live in...............

You live in...............

Old Jul 20th 2005, 12:31 pm
ImHere

Default Re: You live in...............

Originally Posted by sibsie
Well you can blame the bad driving on the Mass snowbirds. Sad lack of Dunkin Donuts down your way though. I'm lost without my latte in the morning and Starbucks are on a perm ban with me.
Aye there is a HUGE snowbird population down here, Mass, NJ, NH and NY mostly...and a lot of the buggers have become permanent fixtures..I thought they are supposed to flee the hurricanes during the summer?! Its got to the point where you are more likely to hear a New England accent than a Florida one, and every other person says they are from Noo Yoik. And I think their average age seems to be 94.

We have a DD about half a mile from us in the nearest strip mall and there seems to be plenty around. I think they have built them all to passify all the NY/NJ population.

Old Jul 20th 2005, 12:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

emmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ImHere
Aye there is a HUGE snowbird population down here, Mass, NJ, NH and NY mostly...and a lot of the buggers have become permanent fixtures..I thought they are supposed to flee the hurricanes during the summer?! Its got to the point where you are more likely to hear a New England accent than a Florida one, and every other person says they are from Noo Yoik. And I think their average age seems to be 94.

We have a DD about half a mile from us in the nearest strip mall and there seems to be plenty around. I think they have built them all to passify all the NY/NJ population.
Florida has a accent?......don't think i've ever heard it
Old Jul 20th 2005, 12:43 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
5. Cars in front of you are often driven by headless people

That is so true-my mother sits on two seat cushions so she can see over the steering wheel!!!

We get the FL little people here in the summer ...they drive my daughter insane pulling out infront of her..not stopping at stop signs.....if she ruled the world...old folk would be shot if under 5ft 3ins....she also has to deal with them in the shop where she works.......and she is not a people person.......
Old Jul 20th 2005, 12:44 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ImHere
Aye there is a HUGE snowbird population down here, Mass, NJ, NH and NY mostly...and a lot of the buggers have become permanent fixtures..I thought they are supposed to flee the hurricanes during the summer?!
Maybe that's why all my FL friends are leaving in droves. I just heard from my bessie mate. He's off too. Got a job flying for Emirates in Dubai.
Old Jul 20th 2005, 1:16 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

I'll do Chicago:
1. ...when everyone you know either grew up in Chicago or within a 100 mile radius of Chicago.
2. ...when you're talking to people in the suburbs who speak of downtown as if it's some remote and exotic place populated entirely by pinko commies and gangstas, even though it's twenty minutes away. Also, they've never actually been downtown.
3. ...when you're talking to people who live in the city and speak of the suburbs as a vast monochomatic wasteland of Republicans, churches, strip-malls, repressive spousal abuse and SUVs. Also, they've never actually been to the suburbs.
4. ...when you consume more than five brats a week.
5. ...when you know what a brat is.
6. ...when your neighbors are so friendly, guileless and just gosh darn terrific that you want to poke their eyes out.
7. ...when you see people out scrubbing their driveway with bleach and vacuuming their lawn (seriously, this is the cleanest and neatest city in the world...)
8. ...when you've never actually been to either Navy Pier or the Taste of Chicago.
9. ...when you revere the ancient and venerable Wrigley Field for what it really is: the largest bar in the world.
10. ...when you wear a windbreaker when it's -20 degrees outside.
11. ...when you know of fifteen good places for a great Italian beef, ten for a great deep-dish pizza, 8 for great gyros...but have no idea where to get good Chinese food.
12. ...when someone is 5'8" and 350 pounds and they look skinny reletive to the other land whales roaming around.
13. ...when you have become so innured to scandal that the mayor would actually have to murder a child on national TV for you to get shocked at the corruption and criminality of the local government.
14. ...when you you get used to having the climate of Siberia in the winter and Malaysia in the summer.
15. ...when you never want to leave (I love it here.)

Last edited by Hiro11; Jul 20th 2005 at 1:19 pm.
Old Jul 20th 2005, 4:06 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by emmals
Florida has a accent?......don't think i've ever heard it

Over in the western part-Panhandle, yup, they got one!
Old Jul 20th 2005, 5:00 pm
ImHere

Originally Posted by cindyabs
Over in the western part-Panhandle, yup, they got one!
Down here think more Don Quixote style

Actually the genuine Floridians (if you can find one) sound a bit like a watered down Georgian accent.

Old Jul 20th 2005, 5:04 pm
ImHere

Originally Posted by sibsie
Maybe that's why all my FL friends are leaving in droves. I just heard from my bessie mate. He's off too. Got a job flying for Emirates in Dubai.

The Palm Beach County (where I am) is basically a hot suburb of NY now. South think Cuban. West think Alligators. Its all very heavily populated. 1.3 million permanent residents in Palm Beach County alone (more than in all of Maine eh Bob). All the Floridians are heading north.

Old Jul 21st 2005, 10:15 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patrick
You live in North Carolina if .....
When someone asks you if you saw "the race yesterday" you don't need to ask "Which race?"
Old Aug 22nd 2005, 4:16 pm
"Bit o' cake"

lisabertini is a jewel in the roughlisabertini is a jewel in the roughlisabertini is a jewel in the roughlisabertini is a jewel in the rough

North Carolina is lovely ... especially our little corner of it. You shouldn't take the piss - one might think you ingrateful.

Originally Posted by Patrick
You live in North Carolina if

When people first meet you they ask which church you belong to

There are more churches than bars

Somehow racism is justified in the Bible

tourists can easily be spotted by there normal sized tires

there are more strip clubs than churches

being called a redneck is considered a compliment

There are more Dixie flags than stars and stripes flying

Every 5th street is named after a confederate general (robert e lee drive, stonewall jackson blvd etc)

people drive in Hurricanes but the streets a empty if there is even a rumour of snow