Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

You know you've started becoming like an American when...

You know you've started becoming like an American when...

Old Jul 16th 2008, 1:32 am
BE Forum Addict

surly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: You know you've started becoming like an American when...

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
So in fact, you are pronouncing Mexican words like a typical American.
Maybe a North Carolinian but probably not a Californian.
One time a 'Singapore Chinese' manager I worked for introduced a new Mexican employee as Jesus, as in 'Jesus Christ'. It caused quite a laugh with the group.

Last edited by surly; Jul 16th 2008 at 2:40 am.
Old Jul 16th 2008, 1:37 am
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by surly
Maybe a North Carolinian but probably not a California.
One time a 'Singapore Chinese' manager I worked for introduced a new Mexican employee as Jesus, as in 'Jesus Christ'. It causes quite a laugh with the group.
O Dios mio!
Old Jul 16th 2008, 1:44 am
Pain in the Butt

Wildandcrazy0525 has a brilliant futureWildandcrazy0525 has a brilliant futureWildandcrazy0525 has a brilliant futureWildandcrazy0525 has a brilliant futureWildandcrazy0525 has a brilliant futureWildandcrazy0525 has a brilliant futureWildandcrazy0525 has a brilliant futureWildandcrazy0525 has a brilliant future

...you watch Fox News.
Off with his head!
Old Jul 16th 2008, 2:31 am
BE Enthusiast

emailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really nice

...A to zeeee
...bullshit bingo
...complaining if there is not your favourite sweetener for coffee
...moaning (in SoCal) if it drops below 70 (see, see, Fahrenheit already. It's funny, I am "just" about old enough to stay in F over C, and have never really made the change over. No point now, eh!)
Old Jul 16th 2008, 9:53 pm
Just Joined

CatrinE is just really niceCatrinE is just really niceCatrinE is just really niceCatrinE is just really niceCatrinE is just really niceCatrinE is just really niceCatrinE is just really niceCatrinE is just really nice

Originally Posted by ugacrew
You know you've caught yourself doing something, saying something, or anything like and American and had that moment to yourself where you've just paused to take in the moment or reject it completely. What was the first thing that took you off guard?
Accidentally saying Origino instead of Oregano..... I still feel shame.
Old Jul 17th 2008, 11:20 am
Forum Regular

FlatDog is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by maddogcharlie
........when you know that electrical wiring, white is neutral and black is hot (Edit LIVE) and down is off and up is on for electrical switches. (Yeh thanks buddy (Edit Mate) that ones zapped me a couple of times !)
The down is off gets me every time still, only been here a year though. It confuses the hell out of me.

Also, when you start using the word "Restroom".

I've also been caught out on using the term "mate". Someone only told me the other day to stop doing it as it's gay over here and to say Buddy instead.

Last edited by FlatDog; Jul 17th 2008 at 11:22 am.
Old Jul 17th 2008, 2:20 pm
Forum Regular

pabby has a spectacular aura aboutpabby has a spectacular aura aboutpabby has a spectacular aura about

When discussing middle east activity with some Americans I pronounced Iraq, 'eyerack', much to the disgust of my english chum who was present. As soon as I said it I knew it was wrong!
Old Jul 19th 2008, 7:26 am
Forum Regular

Maggiecoke is just really niceMaggiecoke is just really niceMaggiecoke is just really niceMaggiecoke is just really niceMaggiecoke is just really niceMaggiecoke is just really niceMaggiecoke is just really niceMaggiecoke is just really niceMaggiecoke is just really niceMaggiecoke is just really nice

When you get your ID out before entering your local pub.

My mum came over and she is in her 70's, she got asked for ID for fags! She was very pleased until I told her that they ID everyone in bum f**k nowwhere Idaho.
Old Jul 19th 2008, 8:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

You go for a whiz during a commercial break and realize you actually appreciate commercials on TV.

You enjoy an ice-cold beer on a hot day.

You experience a hot day.

You take for granted a shower that does not fluctuate in temperature when someone else in the city/universe flushes a toilet.

You install, use and enjoy a garage door opener.

You appreciate American sized fridges and wonder how anyone can cope with a UK sized one.

You say ... "now we're cookin' with gas", or "lets blow this pop stand"

You enjoy a baseball game

You wear a clean shirt every day (this was an old pet peeve of mine regarding newly arrived Brits in California ... they figured they could get away with the same shirt for a week ... <stinky>...)

You use 'figured' in the manner of the previous sentence ...

You go into work on Saturday and Sunday to finish stuff off you didn't have time for during the week

You go to the grocery store at 1am and think nothing of it

You get used to cloudless skies ...

You are comfortable taking leftovers home from a restaurant

Last edited by Steerpike; Jul 19th 2008 at 8:54 am.
Old Jul 19th 2008, 1:32 pm
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CatrinE
Accidentally saying Origino instead of Oregano..... I still feel shame.
Bay-zil now replaces Basil.
Tho Erbs still has an "H" in it.
Tho has replaced Though just cuz I'm lazy.
Wrench has taken the place of Spanner
Cuz a Spanner is a special-use tool (if you didn't know).
There's a large can of "Lawnmower Beer" in the fridge now that its 90F

and

All my trousers have been stolen and replaced with pants.
The buggers took my pants too and substituted underwear.

Old Jul 19th 2008, 1:45 pm
lush

Juswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Xebedee
Bay-zil now replaces Basil.

All my trousers have been stolen and replaced with pants.
The buggers took my pants too and substituted underwear.

LOL
Old Jul 19th 2008, 3:01 pm
Resident Sillycow

mellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond repute

... you start to accept that it's normal to have mayonnaise on a sandwich instead of butter.
... you like the right on red rule for driving (I know it's not applicable countrywide).
... you're comfortable quoting temperature in Farenheit and distance in miles.
... you eat and/or drink whilst driving on a regular basis.
... a 12oz drink is small.
... you prefer to use a drive-thru instead of going into a shop/business.
... you can correctly navigate voice activated commands when you call "Customer Service" (I'm definitely still working on this:curse.
... you've switched to drinking coffee instead of tea.
... you watch Fox News.
i dont think i will ever get comfy with right on red - thats just pure insane!
but i have always quoted distance in miles...a 12oz drink IS to small, i like mayo...im a coffee addict andi watch fox news........

BUT voice activated commands are going to be the death of me - took me 25 mins to pay my phone bill the other day - its not my fault stupid computer woman doesnt understand me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Jul 19th 2008, 3:03 pm
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mellybrown
i dont think i will ever get comfy with right on red - thats just pure insane!
but i have always quoted distance in miles...a 12oz drink IS to small, i like mayo...im a coffee addict andi watch fox news........

BUT voice activated commands are going to be the death of me - took me 25 mins to pay my phone bill the other day - its not my fault stupid computer woman doesnt understand me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Watching Fox News doesn't make you an American. Fox News is the third Anti-Christ. Run Melly! Run for your life towards reasonable unbiased news coverage that ISN'T at the beck and call of the Republican agenda.

Otherwise keep it up.
Old Jul 19th 2008, 5:37 pm
lush

Juswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond repute

You've started becoming American when a 3 hour drive is no biggie...and then you drive it home again too.

The idea of that in England would have horrified me! I'm thinking the clear roads up here help
Old Jul 19th 2008, 5:58 pm
Forum Regular

pabby has a spectacular aura aboutpabby has a spectacular aura aboutpabby has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Juswus
You've started becoming American when a 3 hour drive is no biggie...and then you drive it home again too.

The idea of that in England would have horrified me! I'm thinking the clear roads up here help
Did you deliberately say 'no biggie'? If not, thats another giveaway.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.