Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

You know you've been in the US too long when...

You know you've been in the US too long when...

Old Mar 5th 2013, 3:51 am
Banned

tarantula is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: You know you've been in the US too long when...

Originally Posted by paranoidandroid
Probably. Afterall, you do choose to live in the most pretentious state in the US.

Personally, I never use the term "restroom" even here ...unless of course it is actually a restroom, and not a toilet.
As for using "Parking Lot" or "Zee" ... Why use those terms if you're home where it's perceived as foreign? It doesn't make sense, and obviously just makes people think you're just trying to draw attention to yourself as not living there.
Some truth there! You have to consciously say car park and zed when you are in the UK. My husband uses the American equivalent when he is here so I why would't I when I am in the UK. It's kind of like being bi-lingual I guess!
Old Mar 5th 2013, 5:32 am
BE Forum Addict

FlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond repute

There's an amusing explanation for why the Ami's pronunciation of "Zed" is what it is and what they might do to correct the rest of the English-speaking world on the issue:

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/...e-letter-z-zed

Of course to pronounce it "Zed" here could be construed as pretentious.

Last edited by FlaviusAetius; Mar 5th 2013 at 5:36 am.
Old Mar 5th 2013, 6:25 am
Banned

Originally Posted by FlaviusAetius
There's an amusing explanation for why the Ami's pronunciation of "Zed" is what it is and what they might do to correct the rest of the English-speaking world on the issue:

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/...e-letter-z-zed

Of course to pronounce it "Zed" here could be construed as pretentious.

Old Mar 5th 2013, 4:50 pm
-------------------------

paranoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Uncle_Bob
you lose the ability to reverse into a parking space
Or to look for cars approaching as you walk out in front of them when walking across to the Parking Lot (especially for you - CAdreaming) at the grocery store?
Old Mar 5th 2013, 5:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

CAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Or to look for cars approaching as you walk out in front of them when walking across to the Parking Lot (especially for you - CAdreaming) at the grocery store?
Old Mar 5th 2013, 7:56 pm
The worse half of Weeze

Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute

Especially that one - will divine intervention stop them from being hit???
Old Mar 5th 2013, 8:43 pm

paranoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mr Weeze
Especially that one - will divine intervention stop them from being hit???
I feel like running them over, just to find out.
Old Mar 5th 2013, 8:55 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

I feel like running them over, just to find out.
I like the startled look in their eyes when they realize you aren't stopping.
Old Mar 5th 2013, 9:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
Round here, they seem more like zombies drawn inevitably towards any reversing vehicle. The eyes are dead.
Old Mar 5th 2013, 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by lansbury
Me too. I've actually had someone jump out of the way and rap their knuckles on my back window and shout at me as I went past.
Old Mar 5th 2013, 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Round here, they seem more like zombies drawn inevitably towards any reversing vehicle. The eyes are dead.
It's duhhhhhhh .
If you walk behind my car when it's reversing, it'll probably run you over.
Old Mar 5th 2013, 10:13 pm
Banned

It's duhhhhhhh .
If you walk behind my car when it's reversing, it'll probably run you over.
You'd be in big trouble if you did. You're supposed to check your rear view mirror :duh:
Old Mar 6th 2013, 2:18 pm
MCROW

DeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really nice

One day you hear your wife say "Jaab" instead of "Job"
Sadly still here in rural GA. Not actually killed any of the locals yet, other than in my dreams. House been for sale for 12 months, not a single person sent by estate agent. Many punters looked at the 20 acres of trees, but either silly offers, or declined by their bank. Had one punter, local drug dealer, mad keen until he walked around the office building, and saw the commendation plaques on the walls from various Law Enforcement Agency's DTF Sections. Now, of course no longer on walls and packed away...
The house is on 2+ acres with a third acre tacked on one end. Nothing in that field other than grass and 30 old pine trees. 3 Years ago, was so pissed off with this place, that I cut a Union Jack into three quarters of it. Can be seen on Google Earth, bit faint, but clear enough to see what it is. So, any time now Scotty, beam me up out of this place! 23 years is more than the average 'life sentence' for Murder.
Old Mar 6th 2013, 2:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

...a sandwich is not just a filling between two slices of Wonderloaf!
Old Mar 6th 2013, 3:19 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Guindalf
...a sandwich is not just a filling between two slices of Wonderloaf!
.... a sandwich is not just a snack or light lunch, it's a meal for two, ...... with leftovers!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.