British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   You just think you have settled in when... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/you-just-think-you-have-settled-when-382460/)

Jaxbar Jul 1st 2006 6:18 am

You just think you have settled in when...

Things have been going ok and you feel that maybe this could be your home after all...two things recently have made me get the
oahuuuahuhusosossob!!!! factor - that being when all your emotions break down into a single racking sob that comes out of nowhere.

1 -Hearing a song from my past that reminded me of a time and situation I didnt know that I missed.
2 - Coming in from a night with friends and almost subconsciously planning to turn the TV on and watching newsnight review or some other familiar tv then realising where you are.

Does anyone else have these inexplicable emotional outpourings (mine have never been public) its as if there is part of me that hasnt caught up yet.

BigDavyG Jul 2nd 2006 1:10 am

Re: You just think you have settled in when...

Originally Posted by Bradford Lass
Things have been going ok and you feel that maybe this could be your home after all...two things recently have made me get the
oahuuuahuhusosossob!!!! factor - that being when all your emotions break down into a single racking sob that comes out of nowhere.

1 -Hearing a song from my past that reminded me of a time and situation I didnt know that I missed.
2 - Coming in from a night with friends and almost subconsciously planning to turn the TV on and watching newsnight review or some other familiar tv then realising where you are.

Does anyone else have these inexplicable emotional outpourings (mine have never been public) its as if there is part of me that hasnt caught up yet.

It will probably always be there missus, just waiting to jump out at you when you least expect it.
Keep the head down and the mind busy and hopefully the occurances will be kept to a minimum.

If it makes you feel any better you may well experience similar pangs of longing even back in blighty, maybe thinking about summers past or some such.

Still, never mind - you'll soon have the hurricanes to take your mind of things :)

NC Penguin Jul 2nd 2006 2:51 am

Originally Posted by Bradford Lass

Watching England play footie (then lose)... :mad:

Hearing my friends in the UK's voices on the phone.

NC Penguin

gruffbrown Jul 2nd 2006 2:54 am

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
Watching England play footie (then lose)... :mad:

I'd just started the healing process as well......

snowbunny Jul 2nd 2006 2:55 am

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
I'd just started the healing process as well......

Me too, from Euro 2004.

gruffbrown Jul 2nd 2006 2:57 am

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
It will probably always be there missus, just waiting to jump out at you when you least expect it.
Keep the head down and the mind busy and hopefully the occurances will be kept to a minimum.

If it makes you feel any better you may well experience similar pangs of longing even back in blighty, maybe thinking about summers past or some such.

Still, never mind - you'll soon have the hurricanes to take your mind of things :)

'kin hell, I almost missed your post, where have you been? :eek:

BigDavyG Jul 2nd 2006 3:31 am

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
'kin hell, I almost missed your post, where have you been? :eek:

Back home, then back to a new job last week.
The fact that it actually looks like I'll have to work for my pay packet now means that I'll be a B.E. part timer from now on - no B.E. and no radio1 at work - the things I'll do for a few quid :scared: :(

gruffbrown Jul 2nd 2006 3:34 am

The fact that it actually looks like I'll have to work for my pay packet now means that I'll be a B.E. part timer from now on - no B.E. and no radio1 at work - the things I'll do for a few quid :scared: :(

Tssk, imagine :)

Ray Jul 2nd 2006 3:45 am

Whats happened to you ... you disappeared ..when I died ..
When I was resurrected you had gone

BigDavyG Jul 2nd 2006 3:47 am

Originally Posted by Ray
Whats happened to you ... you disappeared ..when I died ..
When I was resurrected you had gone

I wasn't a true believer

BigDavyG Jul 2nd 2006 3:59 am

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Is the job in the US or the UK? :confused:

US - downtown Chicago, so a 1 hour commute eachway now as well.
Seems quite interesting though, so I'll assess the situation at Christmas provided that I haven't been worked into the ground before then.

snowbunny Jul 2nd 2006 4:00 am

Seems quite interesting though, so I'll assess the situation at Christmas provided that I haven't been worked into the ground before then.

Hope not! Though it'll be c-c-c-cold by Christmas. :)

Ray Jul 2nd 2006 4:05 am

You will be near LIW .. she will be pleased...............

BigDavyG Jul 2nd 2006 4:09 am

Originally Posted by Ray
You will be near LIW .. she will be pleased...............

There's a first time for everything I suppose

Rompers Jul 2nd 2006 4:11 am

Welcome back Davy