Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Are You Happy You Made The Move To California?

Are You Happy You Made The Move To California?

Old Sep 17th 2014, 12:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are You Happy You Made The Move To California?

Originally Posted by VenturaBlvd
Going back to the OP and initial responses. There's so much hate for Los Angeles on BE.
It does have some nice/cool parts like Malibu, Pasadena, Hollywood Hills etc

How long have you been here?
Have you commuted through L.A. much? Avoided the potholes on the 405?
Used LAX much?
What about your tax rates? And the business fees?
What do you think of the city government and the way your taxes are spent?
How about corruption in the police force, in city hall, the crime rates, drug gangs, illegals etc..?
Corruption at the DWP.
Schools are a mess and sinking.
No serious plan for the drought.
The whole 5 corridor south of LA is so ugly/congested.
Billions being wasted on a substandard train.

I'm not being facetious but as a businessman and long time resident these are the issues which impact the quality of my life, and I find them lacking.

After 15 years I can't wait to close the door on LA.

I do love Orange County though, it's like night and day when you cross over. And the beach cities are gorgeous.

Last edited by Hotscot; Sep 17th 2014 at 12:51 am.
Old Sep 17th 2014, 8:58 pm
California Dreamin

Lilly77 is an unknown quantity at this point

I just moved to LA, been here nearly 2 months. I've had my major homesick-for-London moments, and I'm a double expat!!!!! (Born in cape town left at 18yrs, then another 18 years in London before moving here)
Actually we're in Santa Monica, which is nicer than LA I think, and slightly cooler and by the beach. Even though it's ROASTING right now.
My biggest issue is the driving, my OH hasn't put me on the insurance yet, we can only afford one car right now. But i'm feeling pretty stuck and missing my own life. As some previous poster said, CA is what you make it! I'm sure we'll feel settled soon (we don't even have our furniture yet!) but it will take TIME.
And yes I agree the cost of living is insane, grocery shopping is weird, it's way way too hot right now. But I still love it (even though I do miss my friends back home and the rain like crazy sometimes)
Old Sep 17th 2014, 9:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lilly77
I just moved to LA, been here nearly 2 months. I've had my major homesick-for-London moments, and I'm a double expat!!!!! (Born in cape town left at 18yrs, then another 18 years in London before moving here)
Actually we're in Santa Monica, which is nicer than LA I think, and slightly cooler and by the beach. Even though it's ROASTING right now.
My biggest issue is the driving, my OH hasn't put me on the insurance yet, we can only afford one car right now. But i'm feeling pretty stuck and missing my own life. As some previous poster said, CA is what you make it! I'm sure we'll feel settled soon (we don't even have our furniture yet!) but it will take TIME.
And yes I agree the cost of living is insane, grocery shopping is weird, it's way way too hot right now. But I still love it (even though I do miss my friends back home and the rain like crazy sometimes)
I think under California law that the spouse is covered to drive on the policy.
Old Sep 17th 2014, 9:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I think under California law that the spouse is covered to drive on the policy.
This! The spouse is normally automatically covered. Under CA law pretty much anyone can drive your car if you give them permission.
Old Sep 17th 2014, 9:14 pm
California Dreamin

REALLY?!?! i'm sure my OH said that my name was on the insurance policy - but crossed out with a big fat line - I will talk to him. It's driving me NUTSO not driving!
wow great news though!!!!!
Old Sep 17th 2014, 9:39 pm
California Dreamin

Also speaking of living costs being insane, are we allowed to enter the CA state lottery? It's $171mil tonight!!! *wishfulthinking*
Old Sep 17th 2014, 10:25 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Also speaking of living costs being insane, are we allowed to enter the CA state lottery? It's $171mil tonight!!! *wishfulthinking*
Most lotteries have in the small print that you need to be a US citizen or LPR to be eligible for a pay out.

They probably only enforce it on the big ones though.
Old Sep 17th 2014, 10:50 pm
79f & Sunny

VenturaBlvd is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Hotscot
It does have some nice/cool parts like Malibu, Pasadena, Hollywood Hills etc

How long have you been here?
Have you commuted through L.A. much? Avoided the potholes on the 405?
Used LAX much?
What about your tax rates? And the business fees?
What do you think of the city government and the way your taxes are spent?
How about corruption in the police force, in city hall, the crime rates, drug gangs, illegals etc..?
Corruption at the DWP.
Schools are a mess and sinking.
No serious plan for the drought.
The whole 5 corridor south of LA is so ugly/congested.
Billions being wasted on a substandard train.

I'm not being facetious but as a businessman and long time resident these are the issues which impact the quality of my life, and I find them lacking.

After 15 years I can't wait to close the door on LA.

I do love Orange County though, it's like night and day when you cross over. And the beach cities are gorgeous.
I've been here 3 years but also had family here my entire life (ironically down in Orange County) so would spend a month a year since I was a baby.

I've lived in Beachwood Canyon, Malibu and Brentwood, and commute to Santa Monica, and travel/explore most neighborhoods that I won't get shot in - DTLA, SGV, Pasadena, MDR, South Bay, Calabasas.

Sure, there are plenty of issues here in LA - but by and large, I feel most things are worth putting up with in terms of my quality of life. I guess it's apples and oranges. I actually find Orange County a little tedious for my liking. Newport and Laguna are fine but anywhere more than a mile inland becomes a dull and endless expanse of Spanish red-roofed McMansions and Lexus SUVs. Fine, but not exactly the epicenter of anything.

As for those nasty potholes, that's what I got an SUV for
Old Sep 17th 2014, 11:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute

lol, live in the sf bay area and you will scream, when it comes to property prices.
Old Sep 21st 2014, 2:07 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Most lotteries have in the small print that you need to be a US citizen or LPR to be eligible for a pay out.

I'm not sure about the "P", ours only says "legal resident", i.e. excluding illegals.
Old Sep 21st 2014, 5:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Oregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob

These are the Facts from THE BIG ONE, same pretty much applies to all State Lotteries, if you are legally over the age of 18 and purchase a ticket and win, you get to keep the Money, if you are illegally here and win,You get the Lump sum one time payoff, Minus due Taxes and a free flight back to your home country. It was/is more of a Taxation issue for the long term payouts that States have issues with.

A Powerball ticket must be purchased only from a terminal operated by a licensed retailer in a state that sells the Powerball game. If you legally purchase a Powerball ticket, you can play the game and you can collect prizes. You do not have to be a citizen or a resident to play the game. You can be a tourist. That said, some states (MD, NC, ND) do have rules that seem to imply that a winner must produce evidence of citizenship or a federal SSN, but there are other ways to hold back taxes for a winner who does not have a U.S. SSN.

Powerball - Contact

Last edited by Oregon4now; Sep 21st 2014 at 5:17 pm.
Old Sep 21st 2014, 6:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PositiveEnergy
My apologies for asking the question in the first place.
I'm just amazed you pulled the plug, you ask a question but its so vague, People need real info in order to help you and give you a reply, we cant spend hours posting our life stories with hope it may pertain to some info you need.

Plenty of people have moved here and plenty have moved back, I think you need a positive attitude to make it in the USA, without it you will be dead in the water.

Give it another shot and see how it goes, Good Luck.
Old Sep 21st 2014, 6:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Don't know if she ever came back and it's turned into a long thread...
Old Sep 21st 2014, 6:17 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hotscot
Don't know if she ever came back and it's turned into a long thread...
If the OP ever came back they never posted. They only show as having made four posts, and their fourth was #9 on this thread.
Old Sep 21st 2014, 6:23 pm
Not around much..

SDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond repute

REALLY?!?! i'm sure my OH said that my name was on the insurance policy - but crossed out with a big fat line - I will talk to him. It's driving me NUTSO not driving!
wow great news though!!!!!
He doesn't keep you locked in the closet as well does he?

You should be fine, just keep the card or a copy (or on your cell) in the car.