Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Are You Happy You Made The Move To California?

Are You Happy You Made The Move To California?

Old Sep 13th 2014, 5:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are You Happy You Made The Move To California?

Yeah, California is by far the most open minded place that I have lived in the states but you pay the price, especially if you live in North California or south California (cost of living).

Originally Posted by PositiveEnergy
The title says it all really.

I am wondering how many of you who have moved to California from England are happy living there and what it is you love about living in California?
Old Sep 13th 2014, 6:32 am

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by veryfunny
Yeah, California is by far the most open minded place that I have lived in the states but you pay the price, especially if you live in North California or south California (cost of living).
So basically all of California then?
Old Sep 13th 2014, 7:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

What about east California?
Old Sep 13th 2014, 3:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute

California is generally made up of three divisions: north, central and south.
I have been to all, lived in the north: silicon valley. Central California there is not much there but way cheaper than north or south. The question you should be asking is what is your life style like? That is a better way to find out if Cali is for you. What type of weather temperatures, cost of living, employment, type of people who you have subjects in common etc.
Originally Posted by N1cky
So basically all of California then?
Old Sep 13th 2014, 4:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by veryfunny
California is generally made up of three divisions: north, central and south.
I have been to all, lived in the north: silicon valley. Central California there is not much there but way cheaper than north or south. The question you should be asking is what is your life style like? That is a better way to find out if Cali is for you. What type of weather temperatures, cost of living, employment, type of people who you have subjects in common etc.
Yes, 'open minded' places are going to come at a premium. My son lives in San Luis Obispo, lovely college town, but go outside where it's cheaper and it's agricultural and/or military and not his scene at all.
Old Sep 13th 2014, 5:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yes, I have been through that town, personally I would be bored to death, places like sacromento, the wine counties, LA, San Diego, silicon valley, dublin are places I would live if I were back in Cali.

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Yes, 'open minded' places are going to come at a premium. My son lives in San Luis Obispo, lovely college town, but go outside where it's cheaper and it's agricultural and/or military and not his scene at all.
Old Sep 13th 2014, 6:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Bored to death in SLO? It's beautiful there.

LA is very much a dump in many places.
Traffic, overpopulation, heat...hellish.

And Sacramento? Dublin?
Old Sep 13th 2014, 7:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hotscot

And Sacramento? Dublin?
SLO is lovely. Just a bit boring around it, apparently. I think my son could do a lot worse than stay there though. It's the sort of place where you can leave your wallet on the bus and at the end of the route the driver picks it off the seat and hands it in

LA is horrible, gawd knows why people 'dream' of going there.
Old Sep 13th 2014, 7:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Sally Redux

LA is horrible, gawd knows why people 'dream' of going there.
Totally agree.
And one of the very worst airports, which is also a dump.
Old Sep 13th 2014, 7:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Totally agree.
OMG the airport is an utter disgrace.
Old Sep 14th 2014, 12:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Maybe beautiful but I will still get bored if there are not fun things to do, such museums, galleries, eateries (international) etc.

Not all of LA is the same, plus the surrounding areas are nice Santa Barabara etc.

Sacromento is certainly cheaper than the SF bay area, moneteray is another very nice place to live.

And Sacramento? Dublin?
Old Sep 14th 2014, 12:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Sorry Newark NJ, has that title.
Totally agree.
Old Sep 14th 2014, 1:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

"One of"
Old Sep 16th 2014, 8:16 pm
79f & Sunny

VenturaBlvd is an unknown quantity at this point

Going back to the OP and initial responses. There's so much hate for Los Angeles on BE.

It really is exactly what you make of it. Saying you hate Los Angeles is like saying you hate Southern England. It's just too big and too varied to hate it all.

I really love living here. I surf in Malibu twice a week. I run on the beach. I work hard and have my dream job. I'm lucky to have an affordable, beautiful apartment with rent that quite frankly is the envy of friends overpaying in London or NYC. I drive a car that would way too expensive in the UK but just right here, and have a group of friends (some SoCal natives, some east coast transplants and some British expats) that are nice, friendly, honest folks.

I feel grateful that I enjoy L.A. I guess if you came here to "make it" as an actress and ended up a waiter at the Cheesecake Factory, it would suck. But work hard, play hard, make friends, be entrepreneurial, don't be afraid to explore, MAKE SURE YOU GET A CAR, and California is pretty damn awesome.
Old Sep 16th 2014, 9:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by VenturaBlvd
Going back to the OP and initial responses. There's so much hate for Los Angeles on BE.

It really is exactly what you make of it. Saying you hate Los Angeles is like saying you hate Southern England. It's just too big and too varied to hate it all.

I really love living here. I surf in Malibu twice a week. I run on the beach. I work hard and have my dream job. I'm lucky to have an affordable, beautiful apartment with rent that quite frankly is the envy of friends overpaying in London or NYC. I drive a car that would way too expensive in the UK but just right here, and have a group of friends (some SoCal natives, some east coast transplants and some British expats) that are nice, friendly, honest folks.

I feel grateful that I enjoy L.A. I guess if you came here to "make it" as an actress and ended up a waiter at the Cheesecake Factory, it would suck. But work hard, play hard, make friends, be entrepreneurial, don't be afraid to explore, MAKE SURE YOU GET A CAR, and California is pretty damn awesome.
Malibu is nice. I'm sincerely glad that you like LA. It does have its cool aspects.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.