Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Are You Happy You Made The Move To California?

Are You Happy You Made The Move To California?

Old Sep 6th 2014, 5:10 pm
Just Joined

PositiveEnergy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Are You Happy You Made The Move To California?

The title says it all really.

I am wondering how many of you who have moved to California from England are happy living there and what it is you love about living in California?

Last edited by PositiveEnergy; Sep 6th 2014 at 5:31 pm.
Old Sep 6th 2014, 5:15 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are You Happy You Made The Move To California?

Originally Posted by PositiveEnergy
The title says it all really.

We are moving to California in 2015 and it got me wondering how many of you who have moved there from England are happy living there and what it is you love about living in California?
Too wide a question, CA is huge, so it depends what area, and what kind of person you are, if you'll have jobs...

To purely answer your question. We hated living in Los Angeles, but love living in the Bay Area.
Old Sep 6th 2014, 5:31 pm
Just Joined

I am only interested in others who have moved to California regardless of the area. The question is not about me moving there so ignore that bit. In fact I will edit it my first post.
Old Sep 6th 2014, 5:43 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the replies. It's interesting. I don't want to talk about myself. I am only interested in others experiences as I have always been fascinated as to why some people are able to settle and others can't. I've chosen California to ask the question as we'll be moving there ourselves next year in any event.
Old Sep 6th 2014, 6:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the replies. It's interesting. I don't want to talk about myself. I am only interested in others experiences as I have always been fascinated as to why some people are able to settle and others can't. I've chosen California to ask the question as we'll be moving there ourselves next year in any event.
OK, so you *are* moving to California but the question isn't about *you* moving to California because you want other people to talk about *their* experiences but *you* "don't want to talk about" yourself ...
Old Sep 6th 2014, 6:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

That's not the way it works around these parts.

You are expected to contribute, to add to the body of knowledge as a whole.

I moved to CA 15 years ago. It's been great but I'm tired of it and can't wait to move back to Scotland although unfortunately it'll be a few years yet.
Old Sep 6th 2014, 6:22 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

There are so many differentials -- we're all individuals with deep-seated likes and dislikes. If you say if you are moving for business or marriage, are in your twenties or in your forties, have or don't have children, and which part of CA you are thinking of, people can give you informed answers, rather than generic responses that have no relation to what your experience is likely to be.
Old Sep 6th 2014, 6:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Where are you moving and why?
Have you ever been here?
What did you think of it?
Old Sep 6th 2014, 6:53 pm
Just Joined

My apologies for asking the question in the first place.
Old Sep 6th 2014, 7:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

So much negativity in your positive energy....

Toodles!
Old Sep 6th 2014, 7:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

We're only asking that you join in, friendly like...
Old Sep 6th 2014, 7:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hotscot
We're only asking that you join in, friendly like...
Obviously you were asking too much....
Old Sep 6th 2014, 8:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

I moved to Monterey last year and love it, absolutely love it! The weather is good all year round, the golf is fantastic, the people are friendly, the scenery is awesome, the margarita'a are strong, San Francisco is just up the road, I could go on and on. Having been coming to California regularly the past 12 years, as others have said, it's a big place that's very different depending on where you end up. Head south and it's a concrete jungle. Traffic jams, smog, miles and miles of the same. Head north a little and it gets a little more picturesque and varied IMO. The only thing I would change is in my area, decent careers are extremely limited. Having said that, in the UK, I had a career earning a very good wage and everyone was miserable and constantly moaned. Here, I don't think I earn 50% of what I did back home, yet everyone at work is much more positive.
Old Sep 6th 2014, 8:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markonline1
Here, I don't think I earn 50% of what I did back home, yet everyone at work is much more positive.
That is also highly individual. My husband was just saying how much friendlier and happier his UK workplace is.
Old Sep 6th 2014, 8:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
That is also highly individual. My husband was just saying how much friendlier and happier his UK workplace is.
Yeah of course. I worked for BAA, an ex government owned organization where there were plenty of people that had worked there for 20 years plus and everyone was under worked and over paid. A prime recipe for moaning LOL.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.