Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Are you happy in the US?

Are you happy in the US?

Old Mar 20th 2010, 2:05 am
BE Enthusiast

chrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are you happy in the US?

Originally Posted by Luton74
Lived in the states for quite awhile, never really liked it, but i am finally returning to my birth country in June. Sad thing is i have lots of family spread across England but i am not close with any of them so i will be alone over there too, thats ok i talked to my self alot(lol).
Hey you got us
Old Mar 20th 2010, 2:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chrisfromusa
Hey you got us
Yeah, we'll talk to anybody!!
Old Mar 20th 2010, 3:25 am
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishtart
Yeah, we'll talk to anybody!!
In the world of the intarwebz I am the crazy-eyed panhandler from Pioneer Square, who mumbles to himself and shouts unintelligible nonsense at passers-by...
Old Mar 20th 2010, 3:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nettlebed
...who mumbles to himself and shouts unintelligible nonsense at passers-by...
The zombie apocalypse is near!
Old Mar 20th 2010, 5:14 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

In the world of the intarwebz I am the crazy-eyed panhandler from Pioneer Square, who mumbles to himself and shouts unintelligible nonsense at passers-by...
I always thought that was Ray ...
Old Mar 20th 2010, 11:28 am

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
The zombie apocalypse is near!
He'll be OK. These guys have a WA chapter...
Old Mar 20th 2010, 5:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Assanah
Hi guys,
I have a greencard and loved living in the US I am in Germany right now. Unfortunately, my partner has no visa for the US. That is why we are applying for a residency permit for NZ. I have been reading a lot in forums about NZ and OZ and have to say that there is a lot of negativity which I have not found in US forums. Now, that worries me. Are immigrants happier in the US than in NZ/OZ? Or I am to dump to find the "2 years here and still it is crap-" threads here.
Ann
I am as happy as a pig in shit during spring, summer and fall and as miserable as shit during winter.
Old Mar 20th 2010, 7:06 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

I'm the guy with the guitar who sings backup.
My sister always liked that guy.
Old Mar 22nd 2010, 10:50 pm
B65
Forum Regular

B65 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have found it the hardest place to live, Spent 6 years in Bahrain Loved it! 2 years in Guam loved it...... 10 years i the US....I am as lonley as hell.... struggle everyday... Married to an american who has a good job... I feel trapped most days... Most of the people (not many) i have met are all pains in the arse..... I made wonderful friends all over the world and normally am very bubbly.... USA has changed me... Most of the women I have met are fake and game players..they have no sense of humour at all... maybe it is just the rural part of the east coast i live in( shrugging shoulders).
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 3:59 am
Just Joined

omnebonumabalto will become famous soon enough

I came to the states in 1974 because it's a great place for opportunity and have like it ever since.I love the can do atmosphere that I never found in the UK. As I have got older I do miss my family but could not live with the weather over there, it depresses me too much. I would love to live summer there and winter here in Florida. Yes Americans don't know Irony and humour like we do. Also getting to know them intimately is a very tough job especially if your upbringing is so different.Not the country but maybe urban vs. farm. We lived in Iowa for a while and the people were great but had no concept of needing people.They were so interlocked farm people used to their own family and extended family. There is no perfect place and the more you travel, the more you want a little bit of this place and that place into your new place. People good neighbours and shopkeepers etc are my gold standard. When I first lived in Dallas and realized one day that if I dropped dead, nobody within 500 miles would know or care it was a sobering thought. So now I look for neighbor hoods to live,shop and work in. Where i can belong and belong to. If it's not the right city then it's time to move life is too short.
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 5:58 am
BE Enthusiast

chrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by B65
I have found it the hardest place to live, Spent 6 years in Bahrain Loved it! 2 years in Guam loved it...... 10 years i the US....I am as lonley as hell.... struggle everyday... Married to an american who has a good job... I feel trapped most days... Most of the people (not many) i have met are all pains in the arse..... I made wonderful friends all over the world and normally am very bubbly.... USA has changed me... Most of the women I have met are fake and game players..they have no sense of humour at all... maybe it is just the rural part of the east coast i live in( shrugging shoulders).
I've had the same problem as you, ended up resorting to having a British gf not that I can complain anyway but it's not all bad, I lived in the rural northeast. Though I do miss my own culture and people

Last edited by chrisfromusa; Mar 23rd 2010 at 6:01 am.
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 12:28 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chrisfromusa
I've had the same problem as you, ended up resorting to having a British gf ....
I've thought of that strategy but knowing my wife, she'd make me suffer. We own a heavy iron skillet and she probably slap me around the head with it.
Old Mar 24th 2010, 12:36 am
BE Enthusiast

simongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond repute

To go back to the original question, I think there are several differences with migrants to the US and migrants to Australia. Most people from Europe come to the US because of marriage or a job (a professional job). From what I have read on the Australia forums, a lot of people move to OZ just because they can! (they score enough points and they are not older than 45) .Moving across the world because of the sunshine or whatever is a little different than moving because it's where your partner is from or your job transferred you for x number of years. Plus the distance. From the east coast of the US, I can get a flight to the UK relatively cheaply and be there in 7 hours. I've heard (from the forums) that it costs thousands to fly from Australia, takes a day or two and so you can't do that very often. Plus the time difference must be difficult too. On the east coast of the US, we are 5 hours different from the UK. I am not sure of the time difference from Australia to the UK, but it must be a lot! This must make it difficult to keep in touch with family. Just some of my thoughts about the two countries.
Old Mar 24th 2010, 1:25 am
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by simongb
<invaluable advice snipped>
Hey: your avatar is all wrong: it's a BA plane, and it's in the air. Needs fixing...
Old Mar 24th 2010, 8:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Assanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by simongb
To go back to the original question, I think there are several differences with migrants to the US and migrants to Australia. Most people from Europe come to the US because of marriage or a job (a professional job). From what I have read on the Australia forums, a lot of people move to OZ just because they can! (they score enough points and they are not older than 45) .Moving across the world because of the sunshine or whatever is a little different than moving because it's where your partner is from or your job transferred you for x number of years. Plus the distance. From the east coast of the US, I can get a flight to the UK relatively cheaply and be there in 7 hours. I've heard (from the forums) that it costs thousands to fly from Australia, takes a day or two and so you can't do that very often. Plus the time difference must be difficult too. On the east coast of the US, we are 5 hours different from the UK. I am not sure of the time difference from Australia to the UK, but it must be a lot! This must make it difficult to keep in touch with family. Just some of my thoughts about the two countries.

Actually I came to a similiar conclusion. I also think it is the attitude of the immigrants. Most people that immigrate to the US seem to be more realistic about life changes, finding everlasting hapiness etc. We all know that the US is not paradise and that you have to work hard. But it seems that many immigrants to OZ/NZ dream of paradise. Maybe it is also the different images that Europeans have: most think of the US as having no social security system, death penalty, high crime rates etc. But these negative views about OZ/NZ are somehow missing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.