British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Are you Happy in NYC? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/you-happy-nyc-842870/)

unique_boy Sep 10th 2014 6:07 pm

Are you Happy in NYC?

Stealing the idea from a similar thread. I made the move and arrived a couple weeks back. So far it has been very stressful, renting an apartment has proved challenging but thankfully that saga has come to an end.

Initial opinions are it is vastly different to London, I think I was spoilt by living and working in a relatively new area were everything was nice and shiny.

Some things I am enjoying, I love the way people sit at the bar in bars and the bar men will actually chat to you (probably just to get good tips) but I am already finding a few good tips leads to a free drink or two. Others the price of food, a sandwich + crisps in pret cost me $9 dollars!

Interested in knowing others opinions and how long it took to adjust or not adjust?! Also feel free to share your favorite places in the city!

For reference I am <30 with no kids, engaged and going to be living in Manhattan.

sir_eccles Sep 10th 2014 6:09 pm

Re: Are you Happy in NYC?

You may or may not get over NYC prices. I recall we used to call it the $20 tax for just stepping outside and has probably gone up since we left.

unique_boy Sep 10th 2014 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by sir_eccles (Post 11399957)
You may or may not get over NYC prices. I recall we used to call it the $20 tax for just stepping outside and has probably gone up since we left.

We had a same 10gbp in London where you went to the shop for a pint of milk and always seemed to spend a 10.

I certainly plan on bringing packed lunches once I have a kitchen!

Nutmegger Sep 10th 2014 6:53 pm

Lived in NYC for 13 years when I was young and fancy free, having moved from London -- afraid it was long ago and far away, so the places I used to haunt probably don't exist any longer! But every time I come into the city I fall in love with it all over again -- the energy on the street, the great museums, wandering around Grand Central Terminal, shopping at the Indian stores in Jackson Heights. My advice is always "Stop comparing!" Forget about how things are done in the UK, embrace how they are done in the US. It's a foreign country and things are different! Have fun. :thumbsup:

AlphaTangoMike Sep 10th 2014 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by unique_boy (Post 11399954)

Interested in knowing others opinions and how long it took to adjust or not adjust?! Haven't yet adjusted to the smell, nor the old/tired look of mostly everything.

Also feel free to share your favorite places in the city!
The airport lounge :p

Being serious for a minute, I much prefer London, it's generally a more pleasant experience. (Cleaner, friendlier, better supermarkets [Tesco on most corners]). I will be leaving NYC (Manhattan) at the first opportunity that I get.

rpjs Sep 10th 2014 7:10 pm

I don't live in NYC but work here - we lived for a few months in a corp apartment on the UES but then moved out to the 'burbs when we had to find a place for ourselves.

Pros:
1) Lots of "stuff", museums, galleries, music etc etc, just like London
2) The architecture. It's like a living museum of Art Deco / 20th Century. Grand Central Terminal is the best railway station in the world IMO.
3) Public transport is a steal - and it's air-conditioned! And the Metro-North commuter rail is way more reliable than Southeastern and their peers.

Cons:
1) Food scene is disappointing. Whilst I'd say "average" restos are better here than in London, we really haven't found many "good" ones that compare with our faves in London. Indeed a couple of the best we've encountered are up in our 'burb.
2) Subway stations are filthy and hot - tube stations look like you could eat your meal off the floor in comparison
3) It's very, very expensive, even compared to London. Accommodation in Manhattan is stupidly expensive - as bad as London. BUT move out of the city you get a lot more bang for your buck. We have a lovely 3-bed 2-bath house 25 miles from lower Manhattan for the equiv of GBP200K - you'd never find something like that within maybe a 100 miles of London.

Overall I think what I like the most is the spaciousness and better climate here. No day after day after day of grey drizzle. I don't mind the hotter summers and colder winters: that's what aircon and central heating are for!

unique_boy Sep 10th 2014 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by rpjs (Post 11400039)
I don't live in NYC but work here - we lived for a few months in a corp apartment on the UES but then moved out to the 'burbs when we had to find a place for ourselves.

Pros:
1) Lots of "stuff", museums, galleries, music etc etc, just like London
2) The architecture. It's like a living museum of Art Deco / 20th Century. Grand Central Terminal is the best railway station in the world IMO.
3) Public transport is a steal - and it's air-conditioned! And the Metro-North commuter rail is way more reliable than Southeastern and their peers.

Cons:
1) Food scene is disappointing. Whilst I'd say "average" restos are better here than in London, we really haven't found many "good" ones that compare with our faves in London. Indeed a couple of the best we've encountered are up in our 'burb.
2) Subway stations are filthy and hot - tube stations look like you could eat your meal off the floor in comparison
3) It's very, very expensive, even compared to London. Accommodation in Manhattan is stupidly expensive - as bad as London. BUT move out of the city you get a lot more bang for your buck. We have a lovely 3-bed 2-bath house 25 miles from lower Manhattan for the equiv of GBP200K - you'd never find something like that within maybe a 100 miles of London.

Overall I think what I like the most is the spaciousness and better climate here. No day after day after day of grey drizzle. I don't mind the hotter summers and colder winters: that's what aircon and central heating are for!

I would agree on the accomodation front, from what I have seen you get a lot more for your money living outside of manhattan and far more in comparison with London. Having said that I feel we couldn't move to NY and not live in Manhattan for the first year, feels like a passage of rights. It is very expensive but in the grandscheme of life it will even out!

I haven't been impressed with the food scene but have not explored it that much.

Though working in Times Square I already find myself cursing tourists so I must be settling in :lol:

Nutmegger Sep 10th 2014 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by unique_boy (Post 11400062)

Though working in Times Square I already find myself cursing tourists so I must be settling in :lol:

Does your job involve a guitar and underpants? :sneaky:

sir_eccles Sep 10th 2014 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by unique_boy (Post 11400062)

I used to avoid Times Square like the plaque.

rpjs Sep 10th 2014 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by sir_eccles (Post 11400090)

I work at 40th & Broadway so I can just avoid it myself. Mind you, Bryant Park gets pretty chocker of an evening too.

Next year $EMPLOYER is moving to the WTC though so no more walking from GCT and I'll get to thread my way past the tourists going to the 9/11 memorial instead. :(

civilservant Sep 10th 2014 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by sir_eccles (Post 11400090)

Something wrong with your mouth Eccs? :D

Pulaski Sep 10th 2014 8:42 pm

After 8 months, working on East 40th, and commuting from Westchester County, Mrs P and I packed all our worldly goods into a Penske truck, and left. It is the only time in my life I have quit a job without having a job to go to. Draw your own conclusions. :rolleyes:

unique_boy Sep 10th 2014 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 11400133)
After 8 months, working on East 40th, and commuting from Westchester County, Mrs P and I packed all our worldly goods into a Penske truck, and left. It is the only time in my life I have quit a job without having a job to go to. Draw your own conclusions. :rolleyes:

You hated commuting? :huh:

I am on 7th so pretty much right in the middle.

jaffy23 Sep 10th 2014 9:33 pm

I just did two years in Murray Hill. I work in the Metlife building behind Grand Central. I loved our time in the City. It's expensive but there is always something to do at any time, the parks are really nice, lots of great (high end) places to eat out and Seamless for eating in. You get what you pay for with the subway - it's cheap without silly zones and cooled, but dirty and with um, interesting clientele. Not as bad as the buses crosstown though - eesh! Walking to work was a great start (except the hazards!) to my day and if the weather went bad, a quick subway ride home.

Renting is expensive, but found the electric bill cheaper. No council tax and water costs, plus the included heating and hot water (especially in the colder months) will make it seem reasonable especially if you have had oil heat in the UK or US!

Once we discovered Peapod our grocery shopping experience became more pleasant if slightly limited. Fairway market if you have one close is the next best thing.

That said, we found ourselves, and heading out of the City for every holiday weekend, and then just any weekend! Anywhere that wasn't a city. I started to feel like I was constantly being aggravated by cars not stopping, delivery cyclists going the wrong way or on the path.

It was fun, we had good times and good stories, but ultimately we made the move to White Plains. 35 minutes express to Grand Central and for the same price as NYC have a 2 bedroom with central air, an underground parking spot and my train ticket ($249).

Enjoy the City - its amazing, but don't let it drain you.

unique_boy Sep 10th 2014 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by jaffy23 (Post 11400200)
I just did two years in Murray Hill. I work in the Metlife building behind Grand Central. I loved our time in the City. It's expensive but there is always something to do at any time, the parks are really nice, lots of great (high end) places to eat out and Seamless for eating in. You get what you pay for with the subway - it's cheap without silly zones and cooled, but dirty and with um, interesting clientele. Not as bad as the buses crosstown though - eesh! Walking to work was a great start (except the hazards!) to my day and if the weather went bad, a quick subway ride home.

Renting is expensive, but found the electric bill cheaper. No council tax and water costs, plus the included heating and hot water (especially in the colder months) will make it seem reasonable especially if you have had oil heat in the UK or US!

Once we discovered Peapod our grocery shopping experience became more pleasant if slightly limited. Fairway market if you have one close is the next best thing.

That said, we found ourselves, and heading out of the City for every holiday weekend, and then just any weekend! Anywhere that wasn't a city. I started to feel like I was constantly being aggravated by cars not stopping, delivery cyclists going the wrong way or on the path.

It was fun, we had good times and good stories, but ultimately we made the move to White Plains. 35 minutes express to Grand Central and for the same price as NYC have a 2 bedroom with central air, an underground parking spot and my train ticket ($249).

Enjoy the City - its amazing, but don't let it drain you.

Thanks for the response! I will be living midtown west. I am pretty used to the hustle and bustle coming from London but I feel in another two years I'll be yearning for a garden or some piece and quiet. I'll check out peapod.