Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Are you going to Register you American Born kids as Brits?

View Poll Results: Will you register your American Born child with the British Embassy?
Yes, I'm proud to be British and my child will be too!
83.87%
No, thats $500+ worth of beer.
3.23%
I think I might do later, see how it all goes.
6.45%
I am non commital on the subject!
6.45%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Are you going to Register you American Born kids as Brits?

Old Dec 9th 2005, 2:12 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are you going to Register you American Born kids as Brits?

Usually if the rules do change, it changes by date, as in...'if you were born after so & so, you are no longer entitled...' & the date is usually around the time the new rule takes effect. So by waiting it shouldn't be too much of a problem.
Old Dec 9th 2005, 2:30 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patrick
I cant seem to change it, sorry, ignore the Im british thing then
Ok -- I voted "Yes." I just pretended I was Mark.

~ Jenney
Old Dec 10th 2005, 12:50 am

Neathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Partystar
Usually if the rules do change, it changes by date, as in...'if you were born after so & so, you are no longer entitled...' & the date is usually around the time the new rule takes effect. So by waiting it shouldn't be too much of a problem.
I'm sure you're right, but I wasn't willing to take the chance .
Old Dec 10th 2005, 2:10 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partystar

It doesn't always work that way.

If children *automatically* acquire British citizenship then a law change would not strip them of that status if they already had it. It would only affect those born after a future date.

However where a child is not a British citizen automatically, and needs to apply for a Certificate of Registration, then a law change could affect anyone (date of birth irrelevant) who had not been *granted* British citizenship.

Jeremy