Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Are you going to Register you American Born kids as Brits?

View Poll Results: Will you register your American Born child with the British Embassy?
Yes, I'm proud to be British and my child will be too!
83.87%
No, thats $500+ worth of beer.
3.23%
I think I might do later, see how it all goes.
6.45%
I am non commital on the subject!
6.45%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Are you going to Register you American Born kids as Brits?

Old Dec 8th 2005, 6:32 pm
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Are you going to Register you American Born kids as Brits?

After sending off to have my american born daughter registered as a British Citizen does anyone else intend on giving their children dual nationality? I was slightly put off by the $440 fee to register the child then there is the $140 passport fee after she is registered but personally I feel the options she would have as a British Passport holder far out way the cost. Plus if I waited until she was 16 or 17 who knows what the cost or the rules would be!
Old Dec 8th 2005, 6:33 pm
stara koka masna juha

cutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are you going to Register you American Born kids as Brits?

Originally Posted by Patrick
After sending off to have my american born daughter registered as a British Citizen does anyone else intend on giving their children dual nationality? I was slightly put off by the $440 fee to register the child then there is the $140 passport fee after she is registered but personally I feel the options she would have as a British Passport holder far out way the cost. Plus if I waited until she was 16 or 17 who knows what the cost or the rules would be!
i don't have kids, but if i did, i would! Think the rules thing would be the biggest concern. It's a nice gift to her, now she'll never have to sort it out for herself!
Old Dec 8th 2005, 6:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

kevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond repute

We registered our daughter pretty much as soon as we got out of the hospital. Want our daughter (and any future kids we may have) to have the widest choice available to them. $500 is a small price for that benefit in my opinion. Plus we're still in two minds about whether to return to the UK in time for schooling.
Old Dec 8th 2005, 6:53 pm
C'mon you Dragons

Schnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to behold

I'm not having any more kids but if I did I would register him/her/it as a British citizen. I was born in New Zealand and hold dual nationality for NZ and UK. My daughter was born in Blighty but qualifies for a NZ passport so she too has dual nationality (plus that means when we visit NZ we can bugger off for a beer and a raspberryade while Mrs Schnorbtiz is still clearing immigration ) My sentiment was the same, who knows when the rules and/or the cost will change. Do it while you know the score!
Old Dec 8th 2005, 6:59 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

If I did have nippers, I would.

I don't see why if I have to suffer the indignity of losing major football tournaments on penalties, that they shouldn't suffer too.
Old Dec 8th 2005, 7:07 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

I have dual nationality (Born in Aussie to British Parents, then raised in England), hubby is American. Our son was born in England, but at the moment only has an American Passport, but we plan on getting him his UK & Aussie ones as soon as we get some money to spare.
Old Dec 8th 2005, 7:12 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

I would vote yes, except there's not an accurate option for me to choose in your poll!

~ Jenney
Old Dec 8th 2005, 7:18 pm
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jenney & Mark
I would vote yes, except there's not an accurate option for me to choose in your poll!

~ Jenney
There are only 4 possible answers

yes
no
maybe
no opinion

why do you not fit into any of those?
Old Dec 8th 2005, 7:27 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

There are only 4 possible answers

yes
no
maybe
no opinion

why do you not fit into any of those?
The only "yes" option reads "Yes, I'm proud to be British and my child will be too!"

I'm not British.

~ Jenney
Old Dec 8th 2005, 7:38 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

I don't think you can have too many options in this ever-changing world.
Old Dec 8th 2005, 8:05 pm
Pagan Sex God

Originally Posted by Jenney & Mark
The only "yes" option reads "Yes, I'm proud to be British and my child will be too!"

I'm not British.

~ Jenney
I cant seem to change it, sorry, ignore the Im british thing then
Old Dec 8th 2005, 11:47 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Dont' have kids, but yeah, when I start spawning, I plan on registering the little gits I suppose...
Old Dec 8th 2005, 11:55 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Dont' have kids, but yeah, when I start spawning, I plan on registering the little gits I suppose...
Sky News will be eternally grateful .....
Old Dec 9th 2005, 12:15 am

Neathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of light

Yes, both our kids are dual citizens (US-Brit). We felt it was a small price to pay for the options it gives them. Plus, like others have said, we were concerned that if we didn't register them as British citizens now, if the rules changed, they wouldn't have that opportunity again.
Old Dec 9th 2005, 12:22 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

In some cases the child is *automatically* British if:

- where the parents are married, either parent is a British citizen *born or naturalised* in the UK; or
- if parents are not married, the mother is a British citizen born or naturalised in the UK.

In these situations it's still recommended to get a consular birth certificate from the British Embassy, as well as a British passport. It will make it easier for your child to prove status later on.

If child is not automatically British

An application for a Certificate of Registration as a British citizen is required if the child is not automatically British. Including situations where:

- the UK parent is British *by descent*; or
- the British father is not married to the mother (and the mother can't pass on British citizenship herself).

In some cases the application must be made before the child is 12 months old (eg child of a British citizen by descent), in other cases the deadline is age 18.

And where the parent is British by descent, there's normally a rule that requires 3 years UK residence of the parent, plus a British grandparent (of the child).

Other options may exist if you take the child to live in the UK, but if child only has a US passport then entry clearance is required. http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk

Jeremy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.