Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

"You Can Barely Speak English"

"You Can Barely Speak English"

Old Jul 12th 2004, 11:04 pm
Professional Mover

Location: Derry, NH Via Salem, NH via Ma, NC, ex Manchester, UK.
RoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to behold
Default "You Can Barely Speak English"

I was taking a complaint from an employee today who had been fired. The conversation went backwards and forwards over and over again as to why she had been fired and that it was policy in her case to fire employees immediately.

Anyway at the end of the conversation, as she wasn't hearing what she wanted to hear she said to me "Can I speak to someone else, I mean you can't hardly speak English!!!"

Bloody cheek!!! This from a red-neck!

Of course I said "I am English!"

She didn't stay on the phone..... I only have a light northern accent.... gave my co-workers a good laugh though!
Old Jul 13th 2004, 12:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "You Can Barely Speak English"

Originally posted by RoB1833
I was taking a complaint from an employee today who had been fired. The conversation went backwards and forwards over and over again as to why she had been fired and that it was policy in her case to fire employees immediately.

Anyway at the end of the conversation, as she wasn't hearing what she wanted to hear she said to me "Can I speak to someone else, I mean you can't hardly speak English!!!"

She didn't stay on the phone..... I only have a light northern accent.... gave my co-workers a good laugh though!
Ya gotta love them, or not.
Old Jul 13th 2004, 1:30 am
Corpsicle

nathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the rough

I'd revel in dedicating every ounce of my being to ensure she was denied unemployment, just to be spiteful

Sometimes my accent has a effect of calming down angry callers. I've had a few women go from being upset, to saying how hot my accent it, and completely forgetting about their issues.

I'm such an asset to me company
Old Jul 13th 2004, 4:37 am
Time Lord

dgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond repute

I've had someone tell me on the phone that my English was terrible. Got a few giggles out of that one.
Old Jul 13th 2004, 12:23 pm
Just Joined

marmite74 is an unknown quantity at this point

I hear you there I remember a particularly obnoxious telemarketer telling me I couldn't speak English, few choice words to be had there, strangely enough they never called back!

It can be useful for those annoying phonecalls as I just tell them I am here on vacation and couldn't possibly be interested in whatever they are selling me.

Still have been here three years everyone still comments on my accent but my family back home think I sound like a yank - no pleasing some people I guess!

Claire
Old Jul 13th 2004, 2:17 pm
Time Lord

dgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond repute

I've lived here for 4 years now, and I still can't do an American accent! Whenever I've tried it sounds like a strange amalgamation of Irish and Welsh.
Old Jul 13th 2004, 2:42 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

<<snip>>

Can you imagine the reaction if we Brits made a retort like that to Southerners or Americans, in general?
Old Jul 13th 2004, 2:45 pm
Blindside Fumbler

Tone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of light

I was asked by a car salesman if I could read English...
Old Jul 13th 2004, 5:25 pm
Forum Regular

Oggie Oi! has a spectacular aura aboutOggie Oi! has a spectacular aura aboutOggie Oi! has a spectacular aura about

Sometimes when I tell people that I am from the UK, they ask me how I know English.
Old Jul 13th 2004, 6:12 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by NC Penguin
Can you imagine the reaction if we Brits made a retort like that to Southerners or Americans, in general?
As a transplanted northerner down here in the south, I have asked many southerners to speak English goddamnit!!.
Old Jul 13th 2004, 6:19 pm
Blindside Fumbler

Tone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of light

Or will y'al speak English
Old Jul 13th 2004, 7:28 pm
"Where are the shovels?"

jambo_2004 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hasnt happened to me yet...if it does my answer will be "no I don't speak English badly, it's an accent...I'm sorry if you can't tell the difference (or what an accent is)...what's your excuse?"
Old Jul 14th 2004, 2:18 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Oggie Oi!
Sometimes when I tell people that I am from the UK, they ask me how I know English.
I've had similar comments, .... until I realized that Americans think that I said Ukraine. I have since conditioned myself to say "Britain" when asked where I come from as, strange though it may seem, most Americans (round here at least) don't use "UK"/ "United Kingdom" to describe my home country.
Old Jul 15th 2004, 1:42 pm
Forum Regular

resu is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Pulaski
I've had similar comments, .... until I realized that Americans think that I said Ukraine. I have since conditioned myself to say "Britain" when asked where I come from as, strange though it may seem, most Americans (round here at least) don't use "UK"/ "United Kingdom" to describe my home country.
Hahaha that's SO funny.

I don't know how many times I heard Sweden getting mixed up with Switzerland when I was in Arkansas for 4 months. Or questions like "do y'all speak English there?" or "is that in Europe?". But mixing up the U.K. with Ukraine is just hilarious.. I alsmost fell off my chair when I read that.

Cheers,
Ola
Sweden (U.K. this summer)
Old Jul 15th 2004, 2:02 pm
ElsieTheMaid

I've had "can you say something in English?"

Most of the time when people ask me where I'm from, I tell them Kansas City, Missouri. Half of them actually believe me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.