British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   You Alone or W/Your Spouse? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/you-alone-w-your-spouse-633230/)

janadeen Sep 30th 2009 2:00 am

You Alone or W/Your Spouse?

Curious -

For those of you who've gone thru an N400 interview - if you went with your spouse to the appointment - were you allowed to take your husband/wife into the actual interview with you?

Thanks.

Just Jenney Sep 30th 2009 2:55 am

Re: You Alone or W/Your Spouse?

I was not allowed to accompany Mark into the interview room at Norfolk. However, I'm glad I went to the appointment with him, because they approved him and then told him to come back later that afternoon for the oath ceremony. If I hadn't gone, I would've missed "the moment" so in the end it was worth the wait! :)

~ Jenney

Noorah101 Sep 30th 2009 3:16 am

Originally Posted by janadeen (Post 7976316)
Curious -

For those of you who've gone thru an N400 interview - if you went with your spouse to the appointment - were you allowed to take your husband/wife into the actual interview with you?

Thanks.

I went with my husband to his N-400 interview, but was not called in to the interview room. To my knowledge, the USC spouse is not required to be at the N-400 interview. It is an interview only for the applicant, not the USC spouse, and if you are there, you won't be allowed into the interview room unless the ConOff specifically asks you to come in - and I imagine that wouldn't be a good sign.

Rene

Rete Sep 30th 2009 12:31 pm

Curious -

Thanks.

I went with DH but no, your spouse will not be allowed into the interview room. It is solely their petition and the interview does not include the other half of the married couple in anyway.

The AO might, if it is made known to them that the spouse is in the waiting room, come out to meet with you briefly. They did in our instance.

ian-mstm Sep 30th 2009 12:58 pm

... were you allowed to take your husband/wife into the actual interview with you?

No, the spouse is not allowed into the interview room.

Ian

TracyTN Sep 30th 2009 1:05 pm

I'll be going with hubby for sure - no way I am missing an 'immigration field trip'. :D I'm gutted that I won't be able to actually attend the interview, though. :( Brits get all the fun.

jeffreyhy Sep 30th 2009 2:16 pm

No.

Regards, JEff

Curious -

Thanks.

Just Jenney Sep 30th 2009 6:51 pm

Just wanted to add that there ARE cases where a relative can accompany the applicant into the N400 interview. There was a woman interviewing the same day as Mark, and her 20-something adult son was allowed to accompany her. I asked him about it, and he told me that her English wasn't all that great and he was allowed to assist with translation -- but not for the English exam part. That she had to do on her own. The mother and son were from Vietnam.

~ Jenney

SecretGarden Oct 1st 2009 12:35 am

I accompanied Mr. Pink to the interview but was not called in with him at all, so waited in the waiting room. The officer did come out to meet me though, but only because I had the official family calendar; they both wanted to make sure he would be able to attend the oath ceremony she was assigning him to. :o

~SecretGarden

janadeen Oct 1st 2009 10:26 am

Thanks everyone.

Indeed, I'm for sure going with him on the day - never any question there. Just curious about the actual interview.

Nothing brings my linebacker of a husband to his knees faster and harder than a test - ANY kind of test. Like most people, he's nervous about the test. But his nerves are of a sort that I can't even begin to explain. As the date approaches, his anxiety seems to increase ever more.

I should add that part of this is because has a learning disability, and has always had, a complex about this.

And yes, we've looked into all of the exemptions surrounding this matter but, he's still having a tough time. (and it hasn't been as straightforward as we'd have hoped)

I know that my being in the room wont actually do anything - after all, it's not like I can hold up flash cards showing him the answer. Just was hoping to sit next to him for a bit more support.

Thanks much everyone.

Just Jenney Oct 1st 2009 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by janadeen (Post 7980297)
Indeed, I'm for sure going with him on the day - never any question there. Just curious about the actual interview.

My advice: Bring a good book! :)

Nothing brings my linebacker of a husband to his knees faster and harder than a test - ANY kind of test. Like most people, he's nervous about the test. But his nerves are of a sort that I can't even begin to explain. As the date approaches, his anxiety seems to increase ever more.
It might help to remind him that this is one of the few tests he'll probably take in his life where he's given all of the exam questions BEFORE the test -- AND their answers! And of the 100 questions, he will only be asked 10, and of those 10, he only needs to correctly answer 7 of them. Considering that English is his first language, the odds are greatly in his favor of passing. :thumbup:

Just for reference, here were the questions that Mark had to answer -- notice that several of them were easy-peasy:

1) How many stripes are there on our flag?
2) How many states are there in the Union?
3) What makes up Congress?
4) For how long do we elect each Senator?
5) What are the duties of the Supreme Court?
6) Who is the current Governor of the state you live in?
7) What were the 13 original states called before they were states?
8) What is the introduction to the Constitution called?
9) Name one right or freedom guaranteed by the First Amendment.
10) Where does freedom of speech come from?

I can almost guarantee that after it's all over, your husband will wonder what he was all worked up about!! :thumbsup:

~ Jenney

Noorah101 Oct 1st 2009 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by Jenney & Mark (Post 7981247)
And of the 100 questions, he will only be asked 10, and of those 10, he only needs to correctly answer 7 of them.

Actually, he only needs to correctly answer six out of ten. :)

Rene

jeffreyhy Oct 1st 2009 5:20 pm

If he's good, he will only be asked 6 questions.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by Jenney & Mark (Post 7981247)
And of the 100 questions, he will only be asked 10, and of those 10, he only needs to correctly answer 7 of them.

~ Jenney

Originally Posted by Noorah101 (Post 7981276)

Rene

Just Jenney Oct 1st 2009 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by Noorah101 (Post 7981276)

Rene

Even better!! :)

~ Jenney

Dan725 Oct 1st 2009 8:35 pm

I went on my own - wife was at work. Only reason I can think for going together is it would alleviate the waiting boredom; although I thought it was quite interesting watching the different people in the office - some had their whole families waiting outside, some had lawyers hovering around, others were just there like me on their own. Good people watching spot, the immigration office!