Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Are you £$£$£$ better off in the UK or the USA?

Are you £$£$£$ better off in the UK or the USA?

Old Nov 5th 2003, 5:22 pm
Wabbit Lord

waxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant future
Default Are you £$£$£$ better off in the UK or the USA?

Okey dokey,

We get many people saying how cheap America is, how dear the UK is, we also get many others stating...yeah but what about medical costs, insurance etc.......

So, for once and for all......

If you are in a similar job to the one you had in the UK, are your earnings similar, are you able to save more, have you got more disposable income etc etc?

I know material goods arent the be all and end all, and lets face it, being with our respective partners is the no.1 factor, but just to see if we can get some certainty on something which is objective and clear to compare, eg. financial status........

Are you better off £$£$£$£$£$£$ in the UK or the US?

Seeing as Im still in the UK, I cannot say for myself, but I do know that my job pays quite a bit more in the US, for the same kind of work.

Lee
Old Nov 5th 2003, 5:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

BritishInOhio will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Are you £$£$£$ better off in the UK or the USA?

Originally posted by waxwabbit
Okey dokey,

We get many people saying how cheap America is, how dear the UK is, we also get many others stating...yeah but what about medical costs, insurance etc.......

If you are in a similar job to the one you had in the UK, are your earnings similar, are you able to save more, have you got more disposable income etc etc?

I know material goods arent the be all and end all, and lets face it, being with our respective partners is the no.1 factor, but just to see if we can get some certainty on something which is objective and clear to compare, eg. financial status........

Seeing as Im still in the UK, I cannot say for myself, but I do know that my job pays quite a bit more in the US, for the same kind of work.

Lee
A lot better off, financially, here in the US.
Old Nov 5th 2003, 6:31 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

Husband earns vastly more than what he did in England, although that's mostly down to the Civil Engineering Industry in the UK. Companies win jobs by placing the lowest tender, rather than the best design, so wages are forced down in the UK. With the level of qualifications and training needed and the responsibilties involved with peoples safety, their earnings should be on a par with a consultant doctor or lawyer, but they are woefully lower than that. This was the deciding factor for us to move abroad. I'm probably sounding very mercenary now, and centered on the money, but it really isn't like that. My husband had a very high level resposibilty job, but the pay did not equate to this, and so we struggled from month to month to pay the bills. We weren't looking to find ways to earn the most money possible, just a bit more to make life a bit easier would have done. When we found out how much they were offering to pay my husband over here we were very surprised indeed.
Old Nov 5th 2003, 8:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

effi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud of

Okey dokey,

Lee
Definitely better off over here. As far as the medical insurance goes, well it is all down to your employer (if you have one). We pay $10 for a doctor visit, $5 for prescriptions, $50 for emergency room, but it depends on what size Co you work for and how much they themselves are willing to contribute, we contribute nothing for ours. On the whole I find the grocery prices back in the UK to be frightening. I was home in March and it scared me to death, I honestly don't know how people over there manage what with the price of petrol etc. and as for going out for a drink, well forget it.

My husband was in the RAF when we came over here for a liaison job at the UK office at Boeing in Philly, the Chinooks were coming back from the first gulf war to be updated so it turned out to be a 5 year tour. Towards the end of the tour, Boeing were so impressed with him they offered him a job and sponsorship, needless to say, we took it, that was 15 years ago and we have not regretted it. Although I would consider going back to the UK maybe to retire, that is something we are toying with right now, but in reality we will probably stay here, our only grandson is in Philly so that would make us stay.

So to answer your question, it is cheaper all round (for us anyway) to stay here.
Old Nov 5th 2003, 11:57 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

...... So, for once and for all......

If you are in a similar job to the one you had in the UK, are your earnings similar, are you able to save more, have you got more disposable income etc etc?.....
You are trying to provoke Patrick, .... aren't you?

Originally posted by effi
Definitely better off over here. As far as the medical insurance goes, well it is all down to your employer (if you have one). We pay $10 for a doctor visit, $5 for prescriptions, $50 for emergency room, but it depends on what size Co you work for and how much they themselves are willing to contribute, ......
Ditto.
Old Nov 6th 2003, 12:06 am
BE Enthusiast

jaytee is an unknown quantity at this point

U.S.A.! U.S.A.! U.S.A.! U.S.A.!

Okey dokey,

Lee
Old Nov 6th 2003, 12:26 am
British/Irish(ish) Duncs

Location: Cambridge MA, via Mississippi and Belfast Northern Ireland.
Duncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant future

Okey dokey,

Lee
Much of a muchness so far. I was broke in the UK and now i am broke here. Only here i have no medical cover and no profession as my qualifications dont transfer.

Still gas is much cheaper.

regards,

Duncan
Old Nov 6th 2003, 12:48 pm
Wabbit Lord

waxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant future

I wouldnt provoke Patrick, he is just a big cute teddy bear arent ya mate!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by Pulaski

Ditto.
Old Nov 6th 2003, 12:57 pm

BrigieDarling will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by Pulaski

Ditto.

You read my mind! I supose I should just put my mailbox on top of this window and wait for the 'Reported posts' to flood in!

Back to the topic.... I was paid VERY well here $350 compared to 70 quid a week in the UK! -- A completely different job, but if I'd applied for a job like that in the UK I would have never been considered! That's were the 'Land of Opportunity' rang true for me!

Not forgetting the Land of the Free Gift with Purchase!
Old Nov 6th 2003, 1:00 pm

BrigieDarling will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by Duncs
Much of a muchness so far. I was broke in the UK and now i am broke here. Only here i have no medical cover and no profession as my qualifications dont transfer.

Still gas is much cheaper.

regards,

Duncan
Duncan... You need a bit of good luck mate... that's all!
What is it that you'd like to do....
Can you use your skills in another context and broaden your horizons?

A lot of employers want people that have experience and a good attitude! Have a bit more confidence in yoursen love!
Old Nov 6th 2003, 4:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

robclews is an unknown quantity at this point

Quids in, good salary, great benefits, and if you put a value on "quality of life" then it's not even close

Rob
Old Nov 7th 2003, 12:01 am
Corpsicle

nathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the rough

I went from being a po' student to a reasonably cash strapped 9-5 wage slave. I fell into the trap of needing a job so bad, that when a good opportunity with a low wage came along, I took it even though it was much lower than what the guy originally offered, and what I was worth. I know that in time, everything will pan out, however. I'm a patient man, and this teaches me perspective.

But we live comfortably with a roof over our heads, heating, we have each other, and we have food on the table each night and money left over to treat each other.
Old Nov 7th 2003, 1:59 pm
Forum Regular

hhmaker is an unknown quantity at this point

I have been working in the Finance industry for 24 years. Until I came to the states, I lived from check to check and had a large amount of debt. Having been here for a number of years, I have no debt, and have managed to pay off my mortgage. The basic salary to cost of living ratio for me was the same in both the UK and USA. The difference is the bonus structure.
Okey dokey,

Lee
Old Nov 7th 2003, 2:38 pm
Forum Regular

BlightyBoy is on a distinguished road

Gas - cheaper (but use more due to bigger distances and lack of pavements for walking)
Electrical equipment - cheaper
Food - more expensive (look at the price of bread!)
Houses - cheaper though not so well built
Going out - drinks seem really expensive and then the big tips bump up the price. Big cover charges everywhere. Concerts probably more expensive.
Medical bills - far far more expensive
Old Nov 8th 2003, 10:03 am
Just Joined

ELAINE LISS is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy BETTER OFF IN THE USA

well I worked for the NHS - need I say more. As a transcriptionist I even get to work at home here, but money isn't everything?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.