British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   To the Yorkies here (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/yorkies-here-319629/)

cindyabs Aug 12th 2005 2:52 pm

To the Yorkies here

Last night we watched Calendar Girls and I was oohing and aahing over the scenery and said on numberous occasions during the movie that it would be nice to live there. My husband, the Brummie, said he wouldn't care for it but he thought I would fit right in !? He didn't clarify and it left me wondering whatever he meant. :confused:
So would a New England girl (well actually woman of a certain age :o ) find happiness transplanted to the Dales?

AmerLisa Aug 12th 2005 2:55 pm

Re: To the Yorkies here

It is absolutely beautiful there Cindy. We lived in the town where they premiered the movie (Harrogate) although I didn't go...wasn't invited. :rolleyes: :D Anyway, the autumn is very nice and the walks are lovely. I'd go back in a heartbeat.... ;)

cindyabs Aug 12th 2005 3:00 pm

I had a great grandmother born in Bradford and I spent a week in York but that's as much as I know.

Rompers Aug 12th 2005 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by cindyabs
Last night we watched Calendar Girls and I was oohing and aahing over the scenery and said on numberous occasions during the movie that it would be nice to live there. My husband, the Brummie, said he wouldn't care for it but he thought I would fit right in !? He didn't clarify and it left me wondering whatever he meant. :confused:
So would a New England girl (well actually woman of a certain age :o ) find happiness transplanted to the Dales?

Yorkshire is beautifull. Actually we have just got back from a trip to New England and some of the scenery was very similar. Have you read any of Bill Bryson's books (he is an American who lived in the Yorkshire dales)

cindyabs Aug 12th 2005 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by Rompers
Yorkshire is beautifull. Actually we have just got back from a trip to New England and some of the scenery was very similar. Have you read any of Bill Bryson's books (he is an American who lived in the Yorkshire dales)

Hi-yes read all of 'em except for the one on Africa. I think the fall foliage in New England is one of the most beautiful scenes in the world.

Brit'n'TX Aug 12th 2005 3:11 pm

are you sure he didn't mean you should pose for a risque calendar? :p

yorkie2 Aug 12th 2005 3:24 pm

Okaaaaay

I am From Yorkshire (you wouldn't have guessed from the user name would you?) :D

I have lived in Leeds all my life, but am close enough to visit the dales with regularity. My American wife loves the dales and the rolling countryside with the drystone walls climbing everywhere, it truly can be the most beautiful place.

Rather than the excellent Bill Bryson books, which frankly do not speak over much about Yorkshire - I would suggest you get hold of some of the "All Creatures Great and Small" series by James Herriot. Lovely nice tales of the work of a rural vet in the Yorkshire of the 30's - times may have changed, but the countryside hasn't nor has the accents he portrays in them, but what comes across best is the obvious depth of his love for the sheer majesty of the dales countryside, and the way he describes it.

Your husband, being a city boy from Brum, may be happier based in a city like Leeds, but still close enough to the country to get there in an hour or so.

Cheers

Steve

Edited to add: All of the scenes in the Calendar girls film, are less than an hour from Leeds - some much closer than that e.g. The Cow & Calf rocks in Ilkley (where the son throws the newspapers from)

Dimsie Aug 12th 2005 3:37 pm

I'm another Yorkie - born and bred. Lived in East Yorkshire and Leeds for much of my life.

I don't know enough about New England or you, cindy, to know whether you'd "fit in" in the Dales. I personally would prefer to live in York or Leeds and use the Dales for trips and holidays, but if you are fond of rural pursuits, the Dales would suit you well. To live there I think you'd need to be the sort of woman who likes making her own jam, attending the WI (Women's Institute) - I don't know the US equivalent of that - but that's what Calendar Girls belonged to, and being part of a rural community, who may or may not let you in to their groups/cliques.
If you can relate to some of the characters in the film, I guess you'd fit in fine.

I love Yorkshire. I love Lancashire too. Hell - I love England, and Scotland and Wales !!!

cindyabs Aug 12th 2005 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by Brit'n'TX
are you sure he didn't mean you should pose for a risque calendar? :p

To quote a line from the movie-

We're going to need more buns!!! :D

dbark Aug 12th 2005 4:42 pm

Hi Cindy,

I'm not a Yorkie, more of a Kentish maid, but I do love the county. A Yorkie friend refers to it as "God's country" (although I have heard that term used for other places too, I forget which.) As someone else said, either watch or read All Creatures Great and Small, or other James Herriot titles, and watch Last of the Summer Wine, which was made there.

britvic Aug 12th 2005 4:51 pm

To quote a line from the movie-

We're going to need more buns!!! :D

I'm pretty sure they say we'er going to need bigger bun's :) When I first met hubby in England, he asked if Brit women eat lot's of carrots "why" well cant help noticeing there big boob's, whare his base was in Cambridge noticed alote of carrot truck's " blesshim " had to largh at that :D

Sarah Aug 12th 2005 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by britvic
I'm pretty sure they say we'er going to need bigger bun's :) When I first met hubby in England, he asked if Brit women eat lot's of carrots "why" well cant help noticeing there big boob's, whare his base was in Cambridge noticed alote of carrot truck's " blesshim " had to largh at that :D

I know there was soemthing in there about carrots and tits but apart from that I have no idea what you just said.

CitySimon Aug 12th 2005 6:04 pm

If you like Yorkshire, you'll love Lancashire (Gods Country)!

Sarah Aug 12th 2005 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by CitySimon
If you like Yorkshire, you'll love Lancashire (Gods Country)!

Hooray! Another Lancastrain! I'm from the armpit of hell that calls itself "Blackburn" and where might you be from?

CitySimon Aug 12th 2005 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by Sarah
Hooray! Another Lancastrain! I'm from the armpit of hell that calls itself "Blackburn" and where might you be from?

I'm a Preston lad born and bred. :)

The War of the Roses is not over (but it's only fought in the FCC Div2)