British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Yo Merica are you open today? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/yo-merica-you-open-today-908271/)

Former Lancastrian Jan 22nd 2018 12:04 pm

Yo Merica are you open today?

Morning neighbours
Many of us up here to the North of you are wondering if its worth dusting the snow off our sleighs, hitching up the dog teams and locking the igloo and pay you a visit but rumour has it your country is closed is this correct?

Will we be able to visit a National Park, go on a NASA tour or History Museum today?

How can the Land Of The Free And The Home Of The Brave be closed or are we getting it wrong and its just the Government side of things that are shut down and us Canucks will still be able to buy cheap milk and eggs and other stuff.

civilservant Jan 22nd 2018 12:50 pm

Re: Yo Merica are you open today?

You can get your cheap milk and eggs, but if it relies on the Feds then forget about it! :)

Pulaski Jan 22nd 2018 12:55 pm

The world goes on, but without interference from the Federal government. I can't think of anywhere where my life will be impacted any time soon. ..... My passport is still good for several more years.

FWIW I think National Parks are closed during a Federal shut-down.

Rete Jan 22nd 2018 12:58 pm

Excuse me! But it is "Hey America" We don't say Yo here unless you are African/American and no one, absolutely, no American that I have known for nearly 70 years calls it "merica" We pronounce the "A" like in AH. And yes, Canucks, including my lovely in-laws outside of Montreal, can still come to the US for cheaper food stuffs and gasoline. It is only the usually non-working government that is officially not working today. Don't know about the National Parks but mail delivery is still ongoing.

Pulaski Jan 22nd 2018 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by Rete (Post 12424488)
.... mail delivery is still ongoing.

Yours might be, our next delivery won't be until Friday.

scrubbedexpat099 Jan 22nd 2018 1:07 pm

No difference I have noticed.

civilservant Jan 22nd 2018 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12424497)

Why? I was under the impression that PO services were considered essential, and that most of the money that pays for the service is generated by the sale of said service.

Rete Jan 22nd 2018 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12424497)

Not according to what I've read about what is and is not closed. Postal services as usual it stated. In fact, I saw a postal truck yesterday (yes, on Sunday) making deliveries.

Pulaski Jan 22nd 2018 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by Rete (Post 12424521)
Not according to what I've read about what is and is not closed. Postal services as usual it stated. In fact, I saw a postal truck yesterday (yes, on Sunday) making deliveries.

Originally Posted by civilservant (Post 12424510)
Why? I was under the impression that PO services were considered essential ....

Postal services are not considered "essential" by us, in fact the mail is almost entirely junk, and therefore a dämned irritation! :frown: So we have it on hold each week and delivered on Fridays. :)

@Rete: Mail is delivered on Sundays exclusively for Amazon under the contract that Amazon has with USPS.

Former Lancastrian Jan 22nd 2018 1:39 pm

Thinking outside of the box don't most of us like to complain about inefficient Govt workers and services to a degree so with the non essentials being shut down couldn't we argue that The Cheeto is Making America Great Again.
Also just think as well that once Brexit has been achieved you will be able to export your chlorine washed chicken to the UK as at the moment you cant as the EU has banned the importation of such chicken.
Chlorine-washed chicken Q&A: food safety expert explains why US poultry is banned in the EU | The Independent

I expect by the noon vote there will be if passed another 3 weeks worth of funding available provided both sides can agree and the Republicans can get the 60 votes required :lol:

scrubbedexpat099 Jan 22nd 2018 1:47 pm

my Post Office is not open on a Sunday so delivery is somewhat irrelevant.

do need to wander over there, waiting for it to warm up and wind die down, brutal out there.

PetrifiedExPat Jan 22nd 2018 1:58 pm

The sooner USPS shuts down for good, the better. Nothing but complete trash through the door everyday, and I get a feeling my taxes are subsidizing it...

rpjs Jan 22nd 2018 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by civilservant (Post 12424510)
Why? I was under the impression that PO services were considered essential, and that most of the money that pays for the service is generated by the sale of said service.

I think it's more because USPS is a government-owned corporation which has its own accounts and revenue stream. I should imagine that USPS won't receive any of its government subsidy payments while the shutdown is in progress and could eventually close down if the shutdown lasted so long that it ran out of its own cash reserves. Similarly Amtrak is still open for business at the moment. USCIS is mostly open because it's mostly funded by user fees.

rpjs Jan 22nd 2018 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by Rete (Post 12424488)
We don't say Yo here unless you are African/American

...or from Philly.

Former Lancastrian Jan 22nd 2018 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by rpjs (Post 12424599)
...or from Philly.

And the odd bit of New Jersey or so Im led to believe.