Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Yet Another US Citizenship Honor for Me!

Yet Another US Citizenship Honor for Me!

Old Apr 25th 2006, 12:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Yet Another US Citizenship Honor for Me!

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
I get home this evening and I find a big Tyvek envelope sitting on my doorstep. I see that it's from Senator Richard Burr. I'm puzzled. I haven't even registered to vote yet.

Inside the envelope is a box. On the front of the box is printed "Valley Forge", "Made in the USA". I'm still none the wiser so I open the box. Inside is a huge cotton US flag. It's too big for my flagpole (hello AWP!). Still confused.

There's a lettersize envelope with the box. Inside the box is a certificate that reads:

"This is to certify that the accompanying flag was flown over the United States Capitol on April 3, 2006, at the request of the Honorable Richard Burr, United States Senator.

This flag was flown for <<insert my name here>> in celebration of becoming a United States citizen".

Aha. Now I get it. Pity I wasn't told in advance of the honor. I could've got someone to photograph the flag fluttering over the Capitol on the celebratory day. Oh well. It's the thought that counts.

Has anyone else received such an honor following acquisition of US citizenship?

Let's see. Got citizenship on February 16th. Then, I got the signed photo from the Prez, now this. What next? I hope GW doesn't drop in for some iced tea. He'll be disappointed. We only do hot tea in my household

NC Penguin
I became a citizen 8th Feb 2006 and didn't get a gift. Anyone can apply for a flag which as flown over the capitol they do 100's a day they fly them for a few minutes. My neighbour had one flown over the capitol in memory of her father.
Old Apr 25th 2006, 1:42 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I had this done by request to our Senator when Jim became a US Citizen in 2003. We have had the flag folded as per the military way (triangle) and placed it in the approximate shadow box and hung it and the certificate on Jim's "I Love Me" wall in his computer room. His naturalization certificate is there as well along with the many commendations he has received over the years due to his service during 9/11/01 and setup and maintenance of the commander center for the Guard and his training of personnel for that division.

I get home this evening and I find a big Tyvek envelope sitting on my doorstep. I see that it's from Senator Richard Burr. I'm puzzled. I haven't even registered to vote yet.

Inside the envelope is a box. On the front of the box is printed "Valley Forge", "Made in the USA". I'm still none the wiser so I open the box. Inside is a huge cotton US flag. It's too big for my flagpole (hello AWP!). Still confused.

There's a lettersize envelope with the box. Inside the box is a certificate that reads:

"This is to certify that the accompanying flag was flown over the United States Capitol on April 3, 2006, at the request of the Honorable Richard Burr, United States Senator.

This flag was flown for <<insert my name here>> in celebration of becoming a United States citizen".

Aha. Now I get it. Pity I wasn't told in advance of the honor. I could've got someone to photograph the flag fluttering over the Capitol on the celebratory day. Oh well. It's the thought that counts.

Let's see. Got citizenship on February 16th. Then, I got the signed photo from the Prez, now this. What next? I hope GW doesn't drop in for some iced tea. He'll be disappointed. We only do hot tea in my household

NC Penguin
Old Apr 25th 2006, 1:53 pm
Account Closed

kingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura aboutkingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura aboutkingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura about
Angry Re: Yet Another US Citizenship Honor for Me!

NC Penguin
Well congrats on the citizenship. I am hoping to go for citizenship too in about 3 years. Was the exam thing difficult to do? I understand you have to sit an exam on American history and stuff?

I am still waiting for my green card to come through, and then I have to get the conditions on that card removed, then wait another 3 years before can apply for citizenship. Phew!! I am just at the beginning of all this!!
Old Apr 25th 2006, 2:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

mickmills has a reputation beyond reputemickmills has a reputation beyond reputemickmills has a reputation beyond reputemickmills has a reputation beyond reputemickmills has a reputation beyond reputemickmills has a reputation beyond reputemickmills has a reputation beyond reputemickmills has a reputation beyond reputemickmills has a reputation beyond reputemickmills has a reputation beyond reputemickmills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kingfisher241049
Well congrats on the citizenship. I am hoping to go for citizenship too in about 3 years. Was the exam thing difficult to do? I understand you have to sit an exam on American history and stuff?

I am still waiting for my green card to come through, and then I have to get the conditions on that card removed, then wait another 3 years before can apply for citizenship. Phew!! I am just at the beginning of all this!!
I will be starting all the paperwork for my citizenship later this year.

http://www.uscis.gov/graphics/citize...ards/index.htm

This has a list of the questions that may be asked in the exam.
Old Apr 25th 2006, 2:38 pm
Account Closed

kingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura aboutkingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura aboutkingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura about
Smile Re: Yet Another US Citizenship Honor for Me!

Originally Posted by mickmills
I will be starting all the paperwork for my citizenship later this year.

http://www.uscis.gov/graphics/citize...ards/index.htm

This has a list of the questions that may be asked in the exam.
Many thanks. These will be very useful.

Old Apr 25th 2006, 3:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sentosa
I became a citizen 8th Feb 2006 and didn't get a gift. Anyone can apply for a flag which as flown over the capitol they do 100's a day they fly them for a few minutes. My neighbour had one flown over the capitol in memory of her father.
That may be so but it appears that the OP did not request the flag to be flown herself. The OP's Senator made the request and it was a surprise.
Old Apr 25th 2006, 4:17 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

you will be eligible 3 years after becoming a conditional permanent resident.
Old Apr 25th 2006, 5:04 pm
Former Blonde

FlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Manc
you will be eligible 3 years after becoming a conditional permanent resident.
Only if based on marriage to a USC, otherwise it's five years.
Old Apr 25th 2006, 5:09 pm
Account Closed

Cool Re: Yet Another US Citizenship Honor for Me!

Originally Posted by FlyergirlUK
Only if based on marriage to a USC, otherwise it's five years.
Yes I am married to a U.S. Citizen.
Old Apr 25th 2006, 5:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

mickmills has a reputation beyond reputemickmills has a reputation beyond reputemickmills has a reputation beyond reputemickmills has a reputation beyond reputemickmills has a reputation beyond reputemickmills has a reputation beyond reputemickmills has a reputation beyond reputemickmills has a reputation beyond reputemickmills has a reputation beyond reputemickmills has a reputation beyond reputemickmills has a reputation beyond repute

I must have mis-read something somewhere. I thought you could apply 90 days before the 3rd anniversasry of your marriage to USC?

Last edited by mickmills; Apr 25th 2006 at 5:30 pm.
Old Apr 25th 2006, 5:46 pm
Former Blonde

FlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by mickmills
I must have mis-read something somewhere. I thought you could apply 90 days before the 3rd anniversasry of your marriage to USC?
No, the date is dependent upon the date on your green card, not the date of your marriage.

To qualify you must have been married for three years, yes, but you also need to have been a permanent resident, (conditional or not) for three years, (you can apply 90 days prior to the end of those three years).
Old Apr 25th 2006, 5:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

No, the date is dependent upon the date on your green card, not the date of your marriage.

To qualify you must have been married for three years, yes, but you also need to have been a permanent resident, (conditional or not) for three years, (you can apply 90 days prior to the end of those three years).

Thanks for the info.
Old Apr 25th 2006, 6:34 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

It's three years (less 90 days) from the date of your green card (conditional or not).
Old Apr 25th 2006, 6:43 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
It's three years (less 90 days) from the date of your green card (conditional or not).

Assuming they managed to get the date on your green card correct, of course!
Old Apr 25th 2006, 6:50 pm
Concierge

Actually the marriage date is important:

1. You file three years from date of residency (less 90 days) if:

a. You are eligible based on marriage to a USC

b. Your marriage to a USC is still valid and you are living together and the marriage is past its third anniversary.

2. If you got your residency on a condition other than marriage to a USC and were eligible under the 5 year rule, you would be eligible for the 3 year rule instead if say you married a USC the 1st year you were waiting. Then after three FULL years of marriage you are eligible to petition for naturalization.

Remember the 90 days earlier rule only applies to the filing of the petition. The marriage must be a full three years in length on the day of filing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.