Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Yet Another US Citizenship Honor for Me!

Yet Another US Citizenship Honor for Me!

Old Apr 25th 2006, 11:47 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Yet Another US Citizenship Honor for Me!

Originally Posted by Rete
Yes, I had this done by request to our Senator when Jim became a US Citizen in 2003. We have had the flag folded as per the military way (triangle) and placed it in the approximate shadow box and hung it and the certificate on Jim's "I Love Me" wall in his computer room. His naturalization certificate is there as well along with the many commendations he has received over the years due to his service during 9/11/01 and setup and maintenance of the commander center for the Guard and his training of personnel for that division.
Well, the difference between Jim's flag flying and mine is that no-one I knew made the request. It came completely out of the blue as a welcoming gesture by the Senator.

I appreciate the thought but I won't be voting for him (once I register to vote).

NC Penguin
Old Apr 25th 2006, 11:53 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by NC Penguin

I appreciate the thought but I won't be voting for him (once I register to vote).

NC Penguin
You bloody ingrate!!!!!
Old Apr 26th 2006, 12:04 am
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

I get home this evening and I find a big Tyvek envelope sitting on my doorstep. I see that it's from Senator Richard Burr. I'm puzzled. I haven't even registered to vote yet.

Inside the envelope is a box. On the front of the box is printed "Valley Forge", "Made in the USA". I'm still none the wiser so I open the box. Inside is a huge cotton US flag. It's too big for my flagpole (hello AWP!). Still confused.

There's a lettersize envelope with the box. Inside the box is a certificate that reads:

"This is to certify that the accompanying flag was flown over the United States Capitol on April 3, 2006, at the request of the Honorable Richard Burr, United States Senator.

This flag was flown for <<insert my name here>> in celebration of becoming a United States citizen".

Aha. Now I get it. Pity I wasn't told in advance of the honor. I could've got someone to photograph the flag fluttering over the Capitol on the celebratory day. Oh well. It's the thought that counts.

Has anyone else received such an honor following acquisition of US citizenship?

Let's see. Got citizenship on February 16th. Then, I got the signed photo from the Prez, now this. What next? I hope GW doesn't drop in for some iced tea. He'll be disappointed. We only do hot tea in my household

NC Penguin
ahem...no I certainly did not!!! where the heck is my flag!

I never got a picci of the prez either.....have you been a very bad girl again??
Old Apr 26th 2006, 12:07 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celtic_Angel
ahem...no I certainly did not!!! where the heck is my flag!

I never got a picci of the prez either.....have you been a very bad girl again??
What are you insinuating?

Maybe I got all the pressies as a result of my participation in the Q & A session during the citizenship ceremony. I was the only one who had two questions for the Director of the Charlotte USCIS office...

NC Penguin
Old Apr 26th 2006, 1:14 am
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

What are you insinuating?

Maybe I got all the pressies as a result of my participation in the Q & A session during the citizenship ceremony. I was the only one who had two questions for the Director of the Charlotte USCIS office...

NC Penguin
and pray tell what were those questions??? Or am I too young to know!!
Old Apr 26th 2006, 3:14 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

UPDATE:

The flag and certicate was a surprise to me but I spoke to my MIL this evening and she spilled the beans. She and my FIL put in a request to Senator Burr to have the flag flown on my behalf. Not surprisingly, there's a charge for this.

She was glad to hear that I'd received the flag since the request was made about 6 weeks ago.

It was just another little "Congratulations for becoming an American" gift from them both.

NC Penguin
Old Apr 26th 2006, 3:19 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

UPDATE:

The flag and certicate was a surprise to me but I spoke to my MIL this evening and she spilled the beans. She and my FIL put in a request to Senator Burr to have the flag flown on my behalf. Not surprisingly, there's a charge for this.

She was glad to hear that I'd received the flag since the request was made about 6 weeks ago.

It was just another little "Congratulations for becoming an American" gift from them both.

NC Penguin
Nevermind all this flag bollocks..where's your picture?
Old Apr 27th 2006, 12:34 am
Here we go Pittsburgh!

ukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond repute

UPDATE:

NC Penguin
What was the charge? That was very nice of them - lucky you. All I got was a great party with family and friends. Oh wait........
Old Apr 27th 2006, 1:52 am
Back Again

UPDATE:

NC Penguin
awwwww.....how sweet

but that doesn't explain the naked picci of the prez that you received....you did say it was a naked one right?
Old Apr 27th 2006, 1:53 am
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

awwwww.....how sweet

but that doesn't explain the naked picci of the prez that you received....you did say it was a naked one right?
I thought Clinton was out of office
Old Apr 27th 2006, 1:57 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

awwwww.....how sweet

Naked? :scared: Fortunately, he, the current President, was fully clothed.

NC Penguin
Old Apr 27th 2006, 2:02 am
Back Again

Naked? :scared: Fortunately, he, the current President, was fully clothed.

NC Penguin
haha I know, even in jest it's not worth thinking about :scared: :scared:

are you going to fly your flag or keep it in one of those triangular display cases? it was a very sweet thought .

..my MIL won't hear the end of it

Old Apr 27th 2006, 2:23 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

It's too big for my flagpole (hello AWP!).
I should hope so

Congrats anyway
Old Apr 27th 2006, 2:30 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

haha I know, even in jest it's not worth thinking about :scared: :scared: are you going to fly your flag or keep it in one of those triangular display cases? it was a very sweet thought .
..my MIL won't hear the end of it
Iv'e heard she is going to do a photo shoot just wearing the flag ,.....
Old Apr 27th 2006, 4:16 am
Wind, earth, fire, water

User Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond repute

These honours doth pile up.

When's the bonfire?