Reload this Page >

Yet another newbie tax thread

Yet another newbie tax thread

Old Mar 3rd 2014, 5:00 pm
Just Joined

rjm_cmyk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Yet another newbie tax thread

Hi,

I entered the US on a K1 visa on 17th December. We didn't marry until last month. Current logic is as follows.

1) Spouse is going to file separately
2) I was resident from the 17th so have to do dual status tax return
3) No US income to end of CY
4) No UK income 12/17 - 12/31

So my initial research on here and elsewhere suggests the 1040EZ form is OK and use 1040NR as the statement of NR income .

Does this sound right or am I just at the entrance of a maze of twisty passages which will make my AOS forms look like a breeze ?

Thanks

Richard
Old Mar 4th 2014, 5:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Jscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Yet another newbie tax thread

You entered the US on 17th December 2013 and didn't earn any money or have any UK income after that? Then you don't need to file a tax return for 2013.

If you're saying you weren't married until January 2014 then your spouse was single during 2013 and should file as single (or Head of Household if her situation allowed). It's your status on Dec 31 2013 that matters for the tax return due April 15 2014.

Next year (i.e. the tax return based on your 2014 situation which you will file in April 2015) you will both need to file married, based on worldwide income (and probably a joint return will give you the best return).
Old Mar 4th 2014, 4:12 pm
Just Joined

rjm_cmyk is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for that - you've confirmed what others have said.. TVM
Old Mar 5th 2014, 12:24 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Just wondering - it might be worth filing a dual status tax return for 2013, even one showing zero income, in order to show that tax returns were filed and also to set the statute of limitations.