Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Yet another health insurance thread

Wikiposts

Yet another health insurance thread

Old Sep 14th 2010, 1:03 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Yet another health insurance thread

My company's HR just said that there are a couple of minor changes to our health plan next year:

1) The cost is going up "slightly".

2) There's a new, voluntary "wellness" program where a nurse takes your blood and asks you questions and gives you health advice. If you opt in for this you get $20 off your premium each month.

Skeptical me saw this as the insurer paying you to get additional health info which it could later use against you when you claim.

Anyone have any experience of this? HR has said the paperwork won't be available for a while yet so no more info at present.
Old Sep 14th 2010, 2:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

traceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Yet another health insurance thread

Originally Posted by tonrob

Skeptical me saw this as the insurer paying you to get additional health info which it could later use against you when you claim.

Anyone have any experience of this? HR has said the paperwork won't be available for a while yet so no more info at present.
When DH changed jobs about 6 months ago I was bombarded with letters asking me to sign up to the health plans on line surveys, they promised a 'discount' if I did, I got so many i ignored them, I've no idea what they ask but it just seems fishy bombarding me and not DH or DS as we're all on the same plan.
Old Sep 14th 2010, 3:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds a bit like a trick the banks used last year to beat the incoming law. They ask if you are interested in a loan from them, invite you to apply and once you give them permission, they deny you the loan, chop your credit card limit(s) and/or adjust your interest rates up. I know because they did that to me.
Old Sep 14th 2010, 3:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

I have the same concern with my OH's company. His smallish company was just acquired by a (much) bigger corporation. They offer a $24/mo discount for non-smokers. There was hinting that they verify you are a non-smoker by taking a hair sample. Now, I don't know the science behind hair sampling, and if, indeed they can tell if someone smokes from a hair sample, but my larger concern was what else would they decide to test for once they have the sample? Personally, I'm not so quick to hand over blood/tissue/dna samples to insurance companies - who the hell knows what they have up their sleeves when it comes to figuring out how to deny claims and whatnot. :curse:
Old Sep 14th 2010, 7:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
Personally, I'm not so quick to hand over blood/tissue/dna samples to insurance companies - who the hell knows what they have up their sleeves when it comes to figuring out how to deny claims and whatnot. :curse:
You're right to be concerned - there was some story a while ago about scientists being able to determine from your DNA whether you were more likely to be at risk of certain diseases - with the link here being that the insurance company might try to up your premiums based on that risk. Now, I guess you could say, what's the difference between, say, a family history of heart disease that you might already disclose, and information that your body provides?

Though I rarely quote Wikipedia, here goes: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genetic_testing
Old Sep 14th 2010, 10:24 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmm.... maybe I'm right to be concerned?

If it makes any difference it's a group insurance thingy s everyone at work pays the same premium. My worry is that they'll somehow use whatever they find to deny future claims. I admit I really know bugger all much about this stuff above and beyond feeling vulnerable under the US system and not trusting the insurance companies.
Old Sep 15th 2010, 7:01 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

attn: tonrob
Re: Subject Line

Query: Why do you hate us?
Old Sep 15th 2010, 8:05 am
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute

Where I work they've been doing something similar for the last couple of years. You have to fill out a survey, they record your weight, BP, cholesterol levels etc. Then there was also a "challenge" you had to complete such as doing a certain amount of exercise for a month of some dieting things. If you did all this you'd get a discount in the premium for the next year. I haven't bothered as I didn't think it was worth the effort for the saving (I think ~ $100 each for the year). But they've changed it for the next year where they just do the measurement and if you're values are in the acceptable range, then so long as you maintain that you'll get the reduction. If any of you're values are outside the acceptable range, then you have to work on getting one into the acceptable range. I'm probably going to do this as I'm pretty healthy, so it should be a no-op and they've increased the saving to $300 each.

I think the theory is that healthier employees cost less, whether they'll use the data they collect for any nefarious reasons I don't know.
Old Sep 15th 2010, 9:14 am
N99sea

naomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, wellness programs are very popular amongst employers these days, the idea is they make for a "healthier workforce" and save for costs in the long term. I have one at my work, and if you complete (or say you've completed) a bunch of healthy initiatives, you save money on next year's premium. We don't have to give a blood sample though, don't really like the idea of that!
Naomi.
Old Sep 16th 2010, 3:17 am
Wondering if...

celticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob
My company's HR just said that there are a couple of minor changes to our health plan next year:

1) The cost is going up "slightly".

2) There's a new, voluntary "wellness" program where a nurse takes your blood and asks you questions and gives you health advice. If you opt in for this you get $20 off your premium each month.

Spooky! If it wasn't for a slight misalignment in dates, i.e. how far down the process you are, we could be working for the same company.

I feel that an individual's level of concern as to any ulterior motive will depend on the company they work for. I'm comfortable with buying in to this sort of scheme based on my employer.

The cynical me says "who benefits most?" and I see a big market for the management outfits, i.e. the company who administers the scheme, works with you to provide medical advice, etc. I suspect there's a new market opening up to get a slightly different angle on the health care $$$$$$ .
Old Sep 16th 2010, 3:44 am
Septic Sprout

Originally Posted by meauxna
attn: tonrob
Re: Subject Line

Query: Why do you hate us?
Because you drink crap beer and don't like sprouts.