Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Yet Another Health Insurance Matter

Yet Another Health Insurance Matter

Old Dec 6th 2005, 2:00 am
BE Forum Addict

mandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Yet Another Health Insurance Matter

My husband broke his ankle at our friends' house on Labor Day weekend.

Last week we got a letter from a subrogation company acting on behalf of our health insurance company. We have to give them our friends' name and address as they are liable for hubby's medical costs. We don't want to sue our friends but because hubby inadvertantly told the hospital it happened at a friends' party we have no choice.

Being British we don't know whether to sue for our out of pocket expenses too, which at the moment are over $1,000.

Our friends have told us not to worry about it as their insurance will cover the costs but we still feel really bad doing it.
Old Dec 6th 2005, 2:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Lizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to all
Default Re: Yet Another Health Insurance Matter

Blimey. I'm still getting over the fact that it's your friends fault cos it was done in their house!!!
If it's down to their insurance and they're ok with it all I'd claim the $1000 out of pocket expenses (that's alot of taxis innit? )
Old Dec 6th 2005, 2:14 am
BE Forum Addict

mandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lizzi
Blimey. I'm still getting over the fact that it's your friends fault cos it was done in their house!!!
If it's down to their insurance and they're ok with it all I'd claim the $1000 out of pocket expenses (that's alot of taxis innit? )
Hubby slipped playing (drunken) soccer on their wet grass which I cannot believe is our friends' fault but there you go.

I should charge hubby for taxi services as I spent 6 weeks driving him here, there and everywhere.

The $1,000 is only what we have had to pay out in medical costs which weren't covered by insurance.
Old Dec 6th 2005, 4:00 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandpete
My husband broke his ankle at our friends' house on Labor Day weekend.

Last week we got a letter from a subrogation company acting on behalf of our health insurance company. We have to give them our friends' name and address as they are liable for hubby's medical costs. We don't want to sue our friends but because hubby inadvertantly told the hospital it happened at a friends' party we have no choice.

Being British we don't know whether to sue for our out of pocket expenses too, which at the moment are over $1,000.

Our friends have told us not to worry about it as their insurance will cover the costs but we still feel really bad doing it.
Don't consider it your friend's "fault". The accident simply occured on your friend's property.

If that friend has good home insurance, he should have adequate cover for occurances such as what happened to your husband.

NC Penguin
Old Dec 6th 2005, 6:08 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Sue 'em...it sucks, but it's what they pay home decent home insurance to cover
Old Dec 6th 2005, 6:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Hubby slipped playing (drunken) soccer on their wet grass which I cannot believe is our friends' fault but there you go.
Now I realise why American Football players wear all that padding
Old Dec 6th 2005, 7:18 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Sue 'em...it sucks, but it's what they pay home decent home insurance to cover
Reminds me of the owner of a small manufacuring company who who injured himself at work, due to some action or situation that he (as owner) was responsible for. He (as an employee) sued the company and the insurance had to pay the claim.

You gotta' love it...only in America.
Old Dec 6th 2005, 7:20 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ironporer
Reminds me of the owner of a small manufacuring company who who injured himself at work, due to some action or situation that he (as owner) was responsible for. He (as an employee) sued the company and the insurance had to pay the claim.

You gotta' love it...only in America.
Insurance companies don't tend to lose money, I'd hate to see what his workers comp premium was the next year.........
Old Dec 6th 2005, 8:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute

Not that I have a garden or anything but what part of your insurance actually pays this type of claim. I dont have buildings insurance only contents..I have to say this type of thing makes my blood boil, its an utter disgrace! Can someone please tell me at what point do we take responsibility for our own actions, no bloody wonder this country is screwed up.
Old Dec 6th 2005, 9:01 pm
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ladylisa
Not that I have a garden or anything but what part of your insurance actually pays this type of claim. I dont have buildings insurance only contents..I have to say this type of thing makes my blood boil, its an utter disgrace! Can someone please tell me at what point do we take responsibility for our own actions, no bloody wonder this country is screwed up.
Renters insurance should also include liability insurance.

You dont take responsibility....its always someone elses fault. Any lawyer will tell you that.
Old Dec 6th 2005, 9:10 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

It's one insurance company sueing another insurance company.

happens all the time.
Old Dec 6th 2005, 9:12 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc

happens all the time.
Endless cycle.
The insurance companies get paid, the lawyers get paid and everyone else gets screwed.
Old Dec 7th 2005, 3:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Hubby wanted to be responsible for his own actions but the health insurance thought otherwise.

We have to make a claim against our friends' liability insurance.

Hubby was drunk so I assume our friends could be blamed for supplying him with alcohol . The grass was wet because there was about 30 people using our friends' pool, so I guess it's their fault for having a pool in the first place .

Personally I think it was my husband's own stupid fault for drinking far too much and then trying to show off his footballing skills in front of friends and our teenage son .
Old Dec 7th 2005, 9:44 am
UK & US Citizen

ScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc

happens all the time.
Won't their premiums increase because of this?
Old Dec 7th 2005, 12:08 pm
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Hubby wanted to be responsible for his own actions but the health insurance thought otherwise.

We have to make a claim against our friends' liability insurance.

Hubby was drunk so I assume our friends could be blamed for supplying him with alcohol . The grass was wet because there was about 30 people using our friends' pool, so I guess it's their fault for having a pool in the first place .

Personally I think it was my husband's own stupid fault for drinking far too much and then trying to show off his footballing skills in front of friends and our teenage son .
And that is one of the big differences between Brit attitudes (in the main) and US attitudes (in the main)...If we are dumb enough to hurt ourselves doing something stupid then we laugh at it and carry on. Americans need someone/something to blame. (not all oh not not at all all of them though).

On an aside I heard on the radio about some welsh bloke that just got 14 days in the slammer for trying to make a fraudulent claim against the council saying he tripped over a paving slab and hurt his knee when infact he did it playing footy. Duh!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.