Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Yet another Brit wanting to move to the US...

Wikiposts

Yet another Brit wanting to move to the US...

Old Apr 3rd 2014, 5:54 am
Just Joined

BradWBA is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Yet another Brit wanting to move to the US...

Well you've probably seen this hundreds of times but, yes, I am looking to move to the US (probably New York) in the future from England.

I am currently 19 years old about 6 months away from going to a very respectable university (Uni of Sheffield) to study for a Masters Degree in Aerospace Engineering (including a year in industry).

I know a lot of people say that getting a Green Card and moving to the US is a lot harder than it seems, but I feel like I have a good chance. I have done a fair bit of research on the situation (e.g. http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulask...ork_in_the_USA ), but I'm still always looking for new information. I finish my course when I'm 24 and will be looking to move there shortly after.

If you have any tips, advice or information on if it is even a possibility for me to move there, advice if I move there or what life is like in New York, that would be lovely! Posts from US citizens and Brits who have moved to the US would be fantastic. Thanks!
Old Apr 3rd 2014, 6:12 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Yet another Brit wanting to move to the US...

Hi and welcome to BE.

With a field like aerospace engineering, I'm not sure how well-suited NYC would be for you. Be open to getting a job anywhere in the USA to begin with. As a new graduate, you might not have much luck with an H-1B visa, you have to have something very special to bring to the table for a US employer to want to spend the money to hire you over someone already in the USA.

Maybe after graduation, get a job with a company in the UK that has offices in the USA, and then after a year of employment, ask for a transfer.

Or, consider doing a PhD in the USA, that would open up a lot more doors for your potential employment in the USA, plus you could meet the love of your life at school, who just happens to be a USC (the easiest route to the USA is through marriage to a USC).

Rene
Old Apr 3rd 2014, 6:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Southy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, I'm not allowed to help as not only are you a West Brom fan, but you went to Sheffield Uni not Hallam.
Good luck, I suppose
Old Apr 3rd 2014, 6:20 am
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute

I might be wrong but I don't think NYC is a hub of aerospace engineering jobs.
Anyway, if you do find something over here, my advice would be don't even think about coming over (to live in NYC) for less than 50k a year.
Old Apr 3rd 2014, 6:25 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Could you do your degree in the US instead? If you want to move there anyway, that would have a lot of advantages if you can.
Old Apr 3rd 2014, 6:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Or at least your year in industry.
Old Apr 3rd 2014, 6:53 am
Just Joined

BradWBA is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Hi and welcome to BE.

With a field like aerospace engineering, I'm not sure how well-suited NYC would be for you. Be open to getting a job anywhere in the USA to begin with. As a new graduate, you might not have much luck with an H-1B visa, you have to have something very special to bring to the table for a US employer to want to spend the money to hire you over someone already in the USA.

Maybe after graduation, get a job with a company in the UK that has offices in the USA, and then after a year of employment, ask for a transfer.

Or, consider doing a PhD in the USA, that would open up a lot more doors for your potential employment in the USA, plus you could meet the love of your life at school, who just happens to be a USC (the easiest route to the USA is through marriage to a USC).

Rene
Originally Posted by Sarah
I might be wrong but I don't think NYC is a hub of aerospace engineering jobs.
Anyway, if you do find something over here, my advice would be don't even think about coming over (to live in NYC) for less than 50k a year.
Thanks for the replies, I have the choice of doing aerospace or mechatronic & robotic engineering at university, so M&R could be better (although it could be equally as rare in NYC).

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Could you do your degree in the US instead? If you want to move there anyway, that would have a lot of advantages if you can.
Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Or at least your year in industry.
I can't do my degree in the US, but there is a good chance to do my year in industry there, which could be very helpful I guess.
Old Apr 3rd 2014, 7:21 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Why NYC? I lived and worked in London for 15 years, though my family roots are in Sheffield, and IMO New York is hëll on earth even though living in the US had long been a goal of mine.

Unless you're looking for a job in which New York is a recognized center, such as advertising, fashion, banking, finance, medicine, etc. I would recommend casting you thoughts across a much wider area, with aircraft and related manufacturing scattered across a number of (IHMO) much more desirable locations than NYC.
Old Apr 3rd 2014, 7:35 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Why NYC??

I can think of at least 2 places that would be FAR more likely to get you a job - Washington State and South Carolina. And that's just Boeing. Airbus is also opening a plant in the Alabama.
Old Apr 3rd 2014, 7:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
Why NYC??
It looks cool in the movies?
Old Apr 3rd 2014, 7:47 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

..... I can think of at least 2 places that would be FAR more likely to get you a job - Washington State and South Carolina. And that's just Boeing. Airbus is also opening a plant in the Alabama.
More aircraft are made in Kansas.
Old Apr 3rd 2014, 7:48 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
More aircraft are made in Kansas.
True, but I wouldn't want to live in Kansas - too many tornados
Old Apr 3rd 2014, 8:07 am
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Personally I love living in the NYC 'burbs and working in the city - get the best of both worlds. Mind you it is mind-boggling expensive here - almost makes London look cheap by comparison.
Old Apr 3rd 2014, 8:15 am

Originally Posted by rpjs
... it is mind-boggling expensive here - almost makes London look cheap by comparison.
Nuff said. I used to rent an apartment in Valhalla and commute to NYC, but left for several reasons, of which a key one was that we stood no chance of being able to afford a house on what I had erroneously thought was an adequate salary. ..... I later discovered my employer was a skinflint who was screwing me.

If anyone ever wants me to go back to work in NYC, they'll need to pay me about four times my current salary.
Old Apr 3rd 2014, 8:20 am
Wolf In Sheeps Clothing

Sheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond repute

Why NYC??

I can think of at least 2 places that would be FAR more likely to get you a job - Washington State and South Carolina. And that's just Boeing. Airbus is also opening a plant in the Alabama.
Boeing in Charleston, SC (apparently the best place to live in the US?) would be great place to live and much cheaper than NYC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.