Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Yet another Brit wanting to move..few questions though!

Yet another Brit wanting to move..few questions though!

Old Sep 12th 2009, 4:50 pm
Account Closed

pigletsweet is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Yet another Brit wanting to move..few questions though!

Hi Guys/Girls

Im a mature student (30) with an uncle (who is also my step dad) who has a Candadian/brit dual passport and currently works in Canada but is going to work in USA.

Now, i am about to join Uni here, but need my degree to be completed in USA as its in psychology and needs to be accredited in USA to work there.

Wen my step dad goes to USA in few months to work, mum is joining him with my young brother on his work visa. He is well paid and mum would like a home in Florida. Mum will either join him and get young un' to comeplete school there or do his exams here and stuff him in college out there.

How could I join them? I notice he could/will become a PR but that can take many years? and I could transfer Uni in my 2nd year but need a co signed loan. If they move out there aside from Uni fees..they will pay for my living transport ect.
I do appreciate however that its a long detailed process and I have taken a realistic view spending many hours doing my homework on this though it is a tad mind boggling.

My UK degree in Psycholgy will prove harder to use than getting a USA one.

Any help is gratefully received and i understand much of this has been asked before but I cant find some of this on the threads.

Many Thanks
Old Sep 12th 2009, 5:01 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Yet another Brit wanting to move..few questions though!

Might want to look through the immigration forum.

Your folks will have to be USC's to realistically bring you over because your probably looking at around the 10 year mark if they sponsor you as greencard holders, though I don't know how it works with ageing out if your over 21, marriage and all that makes a difference.

Getting a student visa is a separate issue....and why do you think getting a US degree would help you here getting a job? The subject area would be the major hurdle, in that it'll likely give you sod all chance of finding a job in the US.

Welcome to BE though
Old Sep 12th 2009, 5:17 pm
Account Closed

Many thanks for a reply,

Yes there are a few diff routes I think, sadly I hoping if he is working there that I can get a US loan if I go to say with him and use this to apply the funds to Uni there.

I have mailed institues and places and they will take me an International student providing I meet criteria.

Well I know this will be no walk in the park, so I get my head down and do more homework!!
Old Sep 12th 2009, 5:31 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

You need to show you have the funds available either in the bank or by other means to get the student visa in the first place, so relying on that track, you'd probably not get the visa...and also be unlikely to get a loan anyway as a none permanent resident.
Old Sep 12th 2009, 5:36 pm
Account Closed

Many Thanks,

I did read in a few Uni advice sites that if I go over once I have applied and secure a loan with my step dad..if he has PR by then....I can use the funds to support the rest of my study as I shall do my firts 2 years here so I will need just 2 years funds.
I shall also work here while at Uni and save towards the funds. My step dad is well paid indeed so I hope he will help.

Well see
Thank you