Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

A year in the USA by RV

A year in the USA by RV

Old Jul 18th 2008, 10:52 am
Forum Regular

finca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud of
Default A year in the USA by RV

Hi there new to this section of the forum as I normally look at the Spanish site where we live.

I have loads of questions and no doubt expect there will be many on here with some great advice and help.

Three old wrinklies are thinking of buying an RV in the States and touring around for a year before selling it and returning home.

Questions:

Visas - what do we need
RV´s - where the best to look for buying. Doesn´t really matter where we use as a starting point so long as we don´t have to travel too far to get the vehicle.
How do we register as owners if we don´t live there.
What type and model would you advise.
What about prices.
Vehicle insurance
Driving tests - will we need one.
Dogs - we have a fully chipped and passported labrador. Can we bring him with us.
Health insurance - requirements and best places to get some

Any other problems and thoughts you may think of please do pass them on.

Very grateful for any advice.

Cheers

Steve
Old Jul 18th 2008, 11:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Tootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A year in the USA by RV

Someone may well come and correct me, but, AFAIK the B visas which is your only option on top of the 90 VWP is maximum 6 months.

How wrinkled lol? You would need a long holiday insurance, backpackers for the oldies type thing. I have no idea if anyone will cover that length of time in the USA though and it would likely be based on repatriation at the earliest possible time.

If you can sort those things, where you start may well be dictated by State Law on vehicle purchase, registration and insurance. I couldnt get insurance on a tourist VISA in VA for example, but you may be able to elsewhere.

This lot will wake up and be on soonish but I'd start with looking up the B2 tourist VISA on the US Embassy site for now http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_new...niv/index.html
Old Jul 18th 2008, 12:26 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by finca steve
Hi there new to this section of the forum as I normally look at the Spanish site where we live.

I have loads of questions and no doubt expect there will be many on here with some great advice and help.

Three old wrinklies are thinking of buying an RV in the States and touring around for a year before selling it and returning home.

Questions:

Visas - what do we need
RV´s - where the best to look for buying. Doesn´t really matter where we use as a starting point so long as we don´t have to travel too far to get the vehicle.
How do we register as owners if we don´t live there.
What type and model would you advise.
What about prices.
Vehicle insurance
Driving tests - will we need one.
Dogs - we have a fully chipped and passported labrador. Can we bring him with us.
Health insurance - requirements and best places to get some

Any other problems and thoughts you may think of please do pass them on.

Very grateful for any advice.

Cheers

Steve
You cannot do what you are planning to do. There is no visa that will allow you to spend one year continuously here in the US on vacation. As has already been stated, a B visa has a maximum duration of 6 months. You will all have to show strong ties to the UK to even be considered for a B visa.
Old Jul 18th 2008, 1:33 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbj1000
You cannot do what you are planning to do. There is no visa that will allow you to spend one year continuously here in the US on vacation. As has already been stated, a B visa has a maximum duration of 6 months. You will all have to show strong ties to the UK to even be considered for a B visa.
Wasn't there a thread not too long ago of someone who was planning to do this?

Steve - do a search!
Old Jul 18th 2008, 1:39 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira

Steve - do a search!
Probably. I lose track of the unrealistic "I want to move/live/retire/vacation endlessly in the US" threads, and the inevitable "how dare you tell me I can't do what I want to do" response. After all, we only get, what, 10 per day here?
Old Jul 18th 2008, 1:41 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira

Steve - do a search!
I posted this: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...05&postcount=1 a while back, but it's an old site. I would definately double check the info.
Old Jul 18th 2008, 1:45 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

could maybe do 6 month in the usa on a B visa and then cross over into canada and do some time there too (i have zero idea about canadadian visa requirements tho).
Old Jul 18th 2008, 2:06 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

It was my understanding that the B visa could be good for up to 10 years. The duration of the visit would be at the discretion of the agent at the POE.
Old Jul 18th 2008, 4:10 pm
Account Closed

Elliott is an unknown quantity at this point

Probably. I lose track of the unrealistic "I want to move/live/retire/vacation endlessly in the US" threads, and the inevitable "how dare you tell me I can't do what I want to do" response. After all, we only get, what, 10 per day here?

It makes you wonder how many people would leave the UK for a life in the USA if there were no restrictions.

last one out turn off the light
Old Jul 18th 2008, 7:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
It was my understanding that the B visa could be good for up to 10 years. The duration of the visit would be at the discretion of the agent at the POE.
I thought the visa itself was good for 10 years (could have multiple visits) - but the standard for each visit was 6 months. Or less, up to the discretion of the POE officer.

I cannot remember - but I thought there was perhaps some provision for requesting a year's entry... not sure though.
Old Jul 18th 2008, 8:09 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by finca steve