Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Year 9-Grade 10???

Wikiposts

Year 9-Grade 10???

Old Aug 10th 2008, 6:52 pm
Forum Regular

Catgirl has a brilliant futureCatgirl has a brilliant futureCatgirl has a brilliant futureCatgirl has a brilliant futureCatgirl has a brilliant futureCatgirl has a brilliant futureCatgirl has a brilliant future
Default Re: Year 9-Grade 10???

Originally Posted by penguinsix
Hi,

A few things to note:

1) Get her immunization records together immediately. Shots are taken very seriously here and there some she may not have had (Hep B for example) that are required. Each state differs so you'll need to do some research on the schools in question

2) You should get a good copy of her transcripts and if possible course syllabuses. I would not chat with the 'receptionist' at the school but make an appointment with the guidance counsellor or even a vice principal to see where they recommend she enter. As 9th grade in the US is the 'Freshman' year of the four year high school she'll have some required classes for her ninth grade and then other classes that she can take in 9-10-11-12.

As others have noted, she'll be ahead in some subjects and behind in others. Her US government & history studies are certainly not up to par with her American colleagues, and she'll have some spelling issues (colour, etc) that will annoy her from time to time. Math and Science may be slightly off from where she is, and they sometimes teach it differently here.

3) Prepare yourself. You're going to be heavily involved (well, you'll be expected to be involved) in a lot of the teaching and school. PTA (Parent Teacher Associations) will meet and discuss classes and teachers and other issues regularly, and parents are often asked to chip in to help from everything to buying a few extra school supplies to volunteering time to help with the extracurricular activities (which will make your daughter's head spin).

I'd recommend diving in head first as it will be a great social entree into the community. High school football (American style) is a big event in many communities, and Friday nights will draw folks to the stadiums (which ends up being one big social todo regardless of the quality of play on the field).

Where in SC are you moving to?
Thank you for taking the time to reply, I appreciate everyone's advice.

We're moving to Charleston. She just had some extra jabs at the visa medical centre so she's up to date with the US requirements. Also, when we were living abroad (2004-2007) she went to american schools so she's covered some of the american history etc.
Old Aug 12th 2008, 1:39 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

I concur with what others have said, put her in Grade 9, that way she won't be the 'new' girl in school and it will help her acclimatize quicker.

My son turned 15 this month and will be going into grade 10 next week. He has always been one of the youngest in his grade, many of his friends are 10 - 18 months older than him due to where birthdays fall and the fact some parents/school have chosen to hold the child back a grade. Having such a large 'age range' in a grade is the norm here.
Old Aug 12th 2008, 6:41 am

robskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sue
I concur with what others have said, put her in Grade 9, that way she won't be the 'new' girl in school and it will help her acclimatize quicker.

My son turned 15 this month and will be going into grade 10 next week. He has always been one of the youngest in his grade, many of his friends are 10 - 18 months older than him due to where birthdays fall and the fact some parents/school have chosen to hold the child back a grade. Having such a large 'age range' in a grade is the norm here.
Same as my daughter, she turns 15 next week and will be going into 10th grade, as the very youngest in her grade. Not sure if all high schools are the same but she has mixed grades in her classes anyway, so freshmen mix with sophmores etc.
I would agree to putting her in 9th grade
Old Aug 12th 2008, 2:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Catgirl
I honestly think that she is just fed up with moving in general. We went from London to Kosovo for a year, then on to Abu Dhabi for 2 years (where she absolutely loved it), then had to come back to London for a year and now moving to the states, hopefully for a long time. Every time she had to start a new school she had to work very hard to prove herself, change from one system to another, make new friends all over again...I feel for her and with weeks away from us all moving, I don't think I want to move at all, suddenly London seems so beautiful (even with the nonstop rain this past week).
I'm sure it must be hard to move so much. Look at it this way, is 9th grade the beginning of high school in your area? If so that's the perfect grade to start in socially. Many of the kids will be meeting each other for the first time (I'm guessing more than one school feeds into this high school) and it should be a good time to enter a new school and to meet friends. There are so many fun activities to get involved in when she's in high school too. Hopefully she'll find a few she likes and will have a big group of friends in no time.
Old Aug 12th 2008, 3:18 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

For a 14 year old, 9th grade would be typical for that age. The US system has a kindergarten for age 5, with 1st grade commencing the next year for age 6. The final grade level is 12th grade. Most high schools begin at 9th grade (freshman year) and end with the 12th grade (senior year).

Assuming that your child is a good academic performer, I would suggest that you get her onto an honors track right away. If there are magnet schools in the area, seek them out and choose an appropriate one.

Do your research to determine whether some of the public schools are better than the others. Don't just assume that she should attend the school closest to your home, particularly if there are several options available in your area. You should determine whether the public schools are actually any good; in some parts of the country, they are disdained and private school attendance is the norm. The part of town in which you live and the school that you choose could make a big difference between attending a very good school and being stuck in a poor one.

Starting in about the 10th grade, you will also want to look into Advanced Placement courses. Taking several of these and performing well in them will help her in getting into a quality university. Some schools have an International Baccalaureate program instead, but AP is the more prevalent of the two.

Best of luck.
Old Aug 13th 2008, 1:46 pm
Forum Regular

rochdalediva is a name known to allrochdalediva is a name known to allrochdalediva is a name known to allrochdalediva is a name known to allrochdalediva is a name known to allrochdalediva is a name known to allrochdalediva is a name known to allrochdalediva is a name known to allrochdalediva is a name known to allrochdalediva is a name known to allrochdalediva is a name known to all

Hi,
I have to agree with the others, American schooling is certainly different to the UK. See if you can convince her to start at grade 9, she'll be in with a new intake, she'll have stuff like orientation so she knows what's going on the teachers will be a little kinder. A lot of Americans keep their kids at home until they are a little older before they send them to school, especially boys so they are bulk up for football!!
Make sure you talk to a student counselor - not a secretary. At my son's school the counselor could shuffle the students schedule around so they have the classes they need/like. Make her/him your friend or at least don't piss them off. At my son's school they had a lot of power in getting student the required classes or even changing them into a different one if something was not right.
Old Aug 15th 2008, 10:14 am
Just Joined

webster2007 is an unknown quantity at this point

I would agree with most here that 9th grade would be the best bet. I'm a science teacher and have taught both in the UK and US (North Carolina) high schools, and as a kid attended both UK and US high schools. I know what its like to move and try and fit into new schools, and so as in most cases 9th grade will be a new start for most of the students - moving up from middle school - she would be on similar turf with the others.

From a science point of view, the teaching style is very different. At high school that do e.g. biology for a semester and this can range from KS3 upto A'level topics, and then won't do it again at all. You will find she will have a bit of a head start in science as in the UK we build it up each year.

I also agree that participation is key. But I would think that the kids will like her because she is different - unlike my own experiences coming back to the UK from USA and Hong Kong where I was bullied for it.

My experience in Bible belt is to try be patient...most mean well, although after 3 wks I was phoning home for some sarcasm and cynicism!!
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 12:38 pm
Just Joined

usmarines is an unknown quantity at this point

We're getting ready to move to SC from London once we receive our visas. My daughter (born Feb 1994) just finished Year 9 here.
Looking at the enrollment papers they sent us from the high school in Charleston, they are very different from what we're used to dealing with here. Has anyone had the experience of moving from UK schools to US, when their kids were 14-15? Is she going to struggle in Grade 10 even though she finished with Level 7s?

Thanks
We moved to NC in July 08. My little girl is 6 and had just finished Year one and my little boy is 9 and had just finished year four in Enland. We moved over the summer so they could start a new year at school with everyone else. They both ended up in Grades one and four. I felt like they were repeating too, it now comes about that they are thinking of moving my little girl up to grade two so she would be with kids a year older than her but she has already covered the work in England that they are doing in Grade One now. My little boy seems to find Grade Four very easy but they have not mentioned moving him. Hope this helps. Everyone I know from Britain that has moved to the US usually goes into the Grade with their age group but it is usually the Year they have just finished in school in Britain.
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 1:11 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

my son is 4 and if we were back in england he would be in reception class at infants now. Here he wont go into kindergarten til next year so is starting school a year later than his uk peers.
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 5:47 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck with the move, my teen would be horrified if we made him move right now. He was also born feb '94 and is in 9th grade.
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 11:32 pm
Forum Regular

Catgirl has a brilliant futureCatgirl has a brilliant futureCatgirl has a brilliant futureCatgirl has a brilliant futureCatgirl has a brilliant futureCatgirl has a brilliant futureCatgirl has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Good luck with the move, my teen would be horrified if we made him move right now. He was also born feb '94 and is in 9th grade.
Well...it worked out that our daughter actually went to Grade 10 because the school here in SC thought that she had covered enough in her Year 9 in London with very good grades and had enough credits. She is also in English and French honors and so far so good.
She is younger than anyone else in her grade being born in Feb 94 but at least she is not complaining that the school is easy and boring.
Old Nov 4th 2008, 4:07 am
BE Enthusiast

jjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond repute

Well...it worked out that our daughter actually went to Grade 10 because the school here in SC thought that she had covered enough in her Year 9 in London with very good grades and had enough credits. She is also in English and French honors and so far so good.
She is younger than anyone else in her grade being born in Feb 94 but at least she is not complaining that the school is easy and boring.
Hopefully they will give her a GPA for the credits they have given her as our daughther did the same, only to find that when she got her transcripts for college, she had the credits but not the GPA. This meant she missed out on any chance of being in the top 10% (impossible with a whole year of GPA missing) which would have meant an automatic place at UT in Austin. If we, and she, had known that she would have gladly repeated the classes she was granted credits in