Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Yeap, yet another healthcare thread!

Yeap, yet another healthcare thread!

Old Mar 24th 2008, 3:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute
Default Yeap, yet another healthcare thread!

Someone pleaseeee tell me I am not the only who constantly has to argue with the insurance company to get treatment etc covered... Please, anyone?

This is driving me crazy I feel like I am constantly being scammed and if they cover after me arguing it with them, why don't they cover it in the first place?
Old Mar 24th 2008, 3:17 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Yeap, yet another healthcare thread!

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
Someone pleaseeee tell me I am not the only who constantly has to argue with the insurance company to get treatment etc covered... Please, anyone?

This is driving me crazy I feel like I am constantly being scammed and if they cover after me arguing it with them, why don't they cover it in the first place?
Your only suppoed to pay the premium ..not claim ....
Old Mar 24th 2008, 3:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Your only suppoed to pay the premium ..not claim ....
Ohhhh... thats where I have being going wrong, thanks for clearing that one up for me.
Old Mar 24th 2008, 3:25 am
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

It's not just you.
Our insurance comapny covered my daughter for some ongoing treatment and after a few sessions refused to pay again because they had suddenly decided it was experimental! They agreed in the end but it was very upsetting.

I dread anyone being ill because our doctor always seems to want a million tests and the bills roll in forever and they always seem to find a reason not to cover most of it

I have a friend who ended up with a $700K bill after her baby was born....lots of complications and special care for several months. They were out of their minds with worry about the baby but realised eventually they were being billed twice for things. They employed a special medical bill paying expert who found lots of errors and shaved nearly $300K off the final amount.
Old Mar 24th 2008, 3:27 am
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

It's your fault. Stay healthy, don't get sick, and everything will be alright.
Old Mar 24th 2008, 3:30 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

My father had surgery that required about 2 hours of outpatient surgeon & hospital service -- $20,000! I had identical surgery about 18 years ago for $5,000. With the same doctor, at the same place. Go figure.
Old Mar 24th 2008, 11:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Well, this is another one of my top 5 reasons for not liking insurance. If you get it via a job, it's your HR department that tells them what they can and can't cover under the plan. Of course the insurance does have their own list but with a few exceptions and enough perseverance you can get those covered. If your HR says it's not covered, it's not covered.

Also, just because a treatment or whatnot comes back as not covered, it doesn't always mean that it isn't. Last year I had 3 or 4 claims that were billed wrong and came back as not covered but after a call for each they were re-billed. If I had just paid the bills I would be out about $500. Already happened this year too, $40 saved just because I check the bill.
Old Mar 24th 2008, 11:41 am
Forum Regular

hulk_hogan is an unknown quantity at this point

come back to england and get it for free

seriously, whats to stop ppl from doing this?
Old Mar 24th 2008, 11:42 am
Forum Regular

hulk_hogan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by snowbunny
My father had surgery that required about 2 hours of outpatient surgeon & hospital service -- $20,000! I had identical surgery about 18 years ago for $5,000. With the same doctor, at the same place. Go figure.
was it life threatening?
Old Mar 25th 2008, 9:13 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hulk_hogan
was it life threatening?
No, in both cases (mine and his) it was outpatient surgery. My father had no complications and was in fact recovered from the anesthaesia and the surgery far earlier than I'd managed that feat.

The operation was to correct a deviated septum and to remove nasal polyps. The latter grow until they completely block breathing through the nose, causing difficulty in smelling and eating (no sense of taste, have to time breathing differently). The polyps also contribute to massive sinus infections and terrible discomfort. At that point you are in agony.

So.... same surgery, same place, same surgeon.... from $5k to $20k in 18 years.
Old Mar 25th 2008, 11:36 am
Guttural Brumerican

Titchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hulk_hogan
come back to england and get it for free

seriously, whats to stop ppl from doing this?
Ex Pats technically are no longer resident and not entitled to free care, they will (should) get billed retroactively.

However, when I went to the ER a few years ago, and the hospital thought I lived in a house that I hadn't been in for almost 20 years, I accidentally updated them with my mum and dads address rather than my US one. I didn't use the Casualty much as a nipper I guess
Old Mar 25th 2008, 2:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Sadly, not surprised in the slightest you feel like you are getting scammed. Its not just medical insurance either - during my 4 years here I have learned to meticulously read the small print on absolutely everything - I never felt the need to in the UK.

Upside is that I certainly feel a lot more aware of things these days.
Old Mar 25th 2008, 2:07 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Titchski
Ex Pats technically are no longer resident and not entitled to free care, they will (should) get billed retroactively.

However, when I went to the ER a few years ago, and the hospital thought I lived in a house that I hadn't been in for almost 20 years, I accidentally updated them with my mum and dads address rather than my US one. I didn't use the Casualty much as a nipper I guess
Seem to remember reading expats and visitors to the UK are entitled to emergency treatment on the NHS.
Old Mar 25th 2008, 2:57 pm
Ivegotta Member

Triumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Titchski

I keep an address in the UK (friends house) for that very reason.
In America we are customers, not patients............
Old Mar 25th 2008, 3:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Seem to remember reading expats and visitors to the UK are entitled to emergency treatment on the NHS.
Yes, they are entitled to treatment, but it is only free if you are a UK resident.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.