Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Yeap, yet another healthcare thread!

Yeap, yet another healthcare thread!

Old Mar 25th 2008, 4:10 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Yeap, yet another healthcare thread!

Originally Posted by md95065
Yes, they are entitled to treatment, but it is only free if you are a UK resident.

Found this on the Dept of Health's website:

What do I have to pay for?

All treatment given by staff at a hospital or by staff employed by a hospital may be subject to a charge with the following exceptions, which are free to all:

* Treatment given in an accident and emergency department (excludes emergency treatment given elsewhere in the hospital);
* Treatment given in a walk in centre providing similar services to those of an accident and emergency department of a hospital;
* Treatment for certain communicable diseases (excluding HIV/AIDS where it is only the first diagnosis and connected counselling sessions that are charge free);
* Compulsory psychiatric treatment.
* Family planning services

http://www.dh.gov.uk/en/Healthcare/E...able/DH_074374
Old Mar 25th 2008, 4:11 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

im p*ssed off with mine. we came here in oct and joined a new doctors. attended a new patients appt for both my kids. one was 3 and a half at the time so they did a 3 year old wellness check on him and caught him up with some jabs. in the summer he will be 4 and due more jabs (and a 4 year old check) and the insurance co have said only one per year. so he will have to be 6 month late for all future innoculations just because the earliest docs appt i could get was january.
Old Mar 25th 2008, 4:29 pm
I'm off to find a spanner

sime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond repute

I love listening to talk radio (for a good laugh) and all the right wing talkers are always banging on about this being the best healthcre in the world. I always think to myself about how I got just as good treatment back in the UK and because of national insurance system it was very cost effective. This country is pure capitalism (as advertised) and like someone else said on this thread you are a customer first and patient second.
Old Mar 25th 2008, 5:24 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sime303
I love listening to talk radio (for a good laugh) and all the right wing talkers are always banging on about this being the best healthcre in the world. I always think to myself about how I got just as good treatment back in the UK and because of national insurance system it was very cost effective. This country is pure capitalism (as advertised) and like someone else said on this thread you are a customer first and patient second.
Couple of antidotes for ya.

http://www.airamerica.com/
http://www.novamradio.com/
Old Mar 25th 2008, 9:57 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sime303
seconded with the anecdotes

Sirius channel 146.
Old Mar 25th 2008, 10:18 pm
Ben
BE Enthusiast

Ben has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MsElui
im p*ssed off with mine. we came here in oct and joined a new doctors. attended a new patients appt for both my kids. one was 3 and a half at the time so they did a 3 year old wellness check on him and caught him up with some jabs. in the summer he will be 4 and due more jabs (and a 4 year old check) and the insurance co have said only one per year. so he will have to be 6 month late for all future innoculations just because the earliest docs appt i could get was january.
Check with your doctor that he can give the shots before the wellness check. You don't always have to wait for the annual checkup. this goes with many other things too. All it means is the doctor putting a different code on the service.

Also, depending on the insurance company, the annual checkups that are paid for by the insurance company as such can run calendar years rather than to the month. So if you have one in September you can have another in January. But then you would have to wait until the following January for the next. Get to know the billing person at the doctors - they are a great source of information if they have been doing the job for a good number of years.
Old Mar 25th 2008, 11:02 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ben
Check with your doctor that he can give the shots before the wellness check. You don't always have to wait for the annual checkup. this goes with many other things too. All it means is the doctor putting a different code on the service.

Also, depending on the insurance company, the annual checkups that are paid for by the insurance company as such can run calendar years rather than to the month. So if you have one in September you can have another in January. But then you would have to wait until the following January for the next. Get to know the billing person at the doctors - they are a great source of information if they have been doing the job for a good number of years.
I don't bother with all the annual physicals for my children....terrible mother. They wouldn't have had them in the UK.
The one time we did go the Dr wanted to order all sorts of tests...just to get baseline readings. We didn't bother.

If they need any vaccinations we just go down to the dr's office and the nurse does them.