Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Yankee Swap?

Yankee Swap?

Old Dec 5th 2006, 3:54 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Yankee Swap?

Originally Posted by Sally
Blimey everyone's changing personalities!
Well I ask you...adults buying crappy pressies and swapping them...it's like being back at school.

What happened to everyone going down to the pub and putting the money in the drinks kitty...instead of buying useless pressies?
Old Dec 5th 2006, 3:55 am
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Well I ask you...adults buying crappy pressies and swapping them...it's like being back at school.

What happened to everyone going down to the pub and putting the money in the drinks kitty...instead of buying useless pressies?
Now you're talking
Old Dec 5th 2006, 3:56 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
aye, it's a bit weird, puts the pressure to bring somin' good, so that people dont' talk about "that" crap present...what happened to just bringing something nice for a friend, or nothing if you don't like anyone

I can't believe adults do this sort of thing. Can you imagine if you worked in the UK and suggested a Brit Swap or Secret Santa?
Old Dec 5th 2006, 3:59 am
Account Closed

I can't believe adults do this sort of thing. Can you imagine if you worked in the UK and suggested a Brit Swap or Secret Santa?
And all those cookies...maybe it's a substitute for alcohol
Old Dec 5th 2006, 4:03 am
SUPER MODERATOR

And all those cookies...maybe it's a substitute for alcohol

Maybe we could do a virtual BE Yankee Swap. I'm sure Bob would have the time...it needs someone technical to arrange it. The only problem is...we wouldn't be able to understand his instructions.
Old Dec 5th 2006, 4:08 am
Account Closed

Maybe we could do a virtual BE Yankee Swap. I'm sure Bob would have the time...it needs someone technical to arrange it. The only problem is...we wouldn't be able to understand his instructions.
What BE should do is have little upgrades you could buy with your karma and display.
Old Dec 5th 2006, 4:11 am
SUPER MODERATOR

What BE should do is have little upgrades you could buy with your karma and display.
Bed time for this Jerseygirl....night Sally.
Old Dec 5th 2006, 4:16 am
Account Closed

Bed time for this Jerseygirl....night Sally.
night-night
Old Dec 5th 2006, 1:05 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

because no one goes out on the piss after work around here, they all head home...

saying that, should be interesting, as they just got a nice new pool table in for the lounge area of the office...
Old Dec 5th 2006, 1:06 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

hehe...they'd just laugh at you and call you a tw@
Old Dec 5th 2006, 1:36 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

I've bought green...perhaps we could swap tops...or bottoms.

sounds good jersey and i've a spare gold christmas bell to put around our neck and i'll let you have one...
Old Dec 5th 2006, 1:41 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by TruBrit
sounds good jersey and i've a spare gold christmas bell to put around our neck and i'll let you have one...
Cool...I'll put me stethoscope around me rear view mirror until after Christmas.
Old Dec 5th 2006, 1:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
well it seems everyone i've spoken to has heard of it at work, and most of them ain't local to MA, whole bunch from Cali, Texas, Canada and between, and they all knew what it was about, so yeah, I thought it was a fair assumption that you might have heard about it.
Ok, just to put an end to this. I have never heard of it, I've worked here in Washington (second Christmas) we don't do that where I work. My husband works for a big corporation, they don't do it there. I've worked in California (although its been quite a few years - things change) and again I've never heard of it. Perhaps its more regional than you expect and perhaps its just thankfully by-passed me.
Old Dec 5th 2006, 4:05 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
... perhaps its just thankfully by-passed me.
then your lucky *l*
Old Dec 5th 2006, 8:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

marriedtothemod has a reputation beyond reputemarriedtothemod has a reputation beyond reputemarriedtothemod has a reputation beyond reputemarriedtothemod has a reputation beyond reputemarriedtothemod has a reputation beyond reputemarriedtothemod has a reputation beyond reputemarriedtothemod has a reputation beyond reputemarriedtothemod has a reputation beyond reputemarriedtothemod has a reputation beyond reputemarriedtothemod has a reputation beyond reputemarriedtothemod has a reputation beyond repute

Don't pick on her for not knowing what a Yankee Swap is. It's a New England tradition generally *l* And no one up here has set guidelines for it *l*

Originally Posted by Bob
your the American

It's a war zone apparently, well you bring a gift in, and then pick one you want, and if it's crap, swap it with someone else's till every one has a go....different places have different takes on how ya do it, but that's the gist of it.

MIL has a secret santa, and I'd have thought that would be more fun....but they ain't doing that, and they wanted an excuse to have a party at the new digs, big enough office...oh well...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.