Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Yankee Swap?

Yankee Swap?

Old Dec 4th 2006, 4:40 pm
Account Closed

kingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura aboutkingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura aboutkingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura about
Post Re: Yankee Swap?

That reminds me, its Carol's office party this weekend, and spouses are also invited. Unfortunately I need to buy a new suit because its a formal affair. At least we get some free food and drinks. Seems I must go, (Office politics) because Carol is looking for a promotion.
Old Dec 4th 2006, 4:42 pm
The Missus

SecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Yankee Swap?

Originally Posted by Bob
well if you haven't heard of these customs, there ain't much help for johnny foreigner having much of a clue....I thought these, along with secret santa's were pretty large work thing around here....I'd certainly never heard of them till I cam here though.

There are two kinds of these party activities:

Yankee Swap where you are asked to bring a gift that someone might actually *like*

AND

White Elephant where you bring something completely hideous (usually something that has been sitting in the garage or basement for years that you never needed or wanted).

The end result is the same.....you end up going home with something and depending on the rules of the people having it, you can "steal" from someone whose gift you like better, or you can pass yours off to someone if you don't like it. Personally I like the White Elephant one better----it can be wicked fun seeing what people bring.

One year I was able to get rid of a pair of ceramic candle holders that were supposed to look like pine cones but really looked like gigantic piles of dog shit. God, that was great. Sent them home with my principal.

~SecretGarden
Old Dec 4th 2006, 5:40 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SecretGarden
White Elephant where you bring something completely hideous (usually something that has been sitting in the garage or basement for years that you never needed or wanted).
now that would be fun...be interesting to see what the divide of shite would be between the artists and the programmers....I'm guessing the programmers would have more shite, being paid about double us artist phlebs are *l*
Old Dec 4th 2006, 8:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond repute

Secret Santa at our place, names in a hat, $10 tops to spend and there usually isn't anything secret about it as by the time the party rolls around everyone knows who there secret Santa is. We all ask each other trying to get ideas of what to buy It's quite amusing though to see what other think you might like, I have cats so I inevitably get something with a feline on it which is a nice thought but I'm not quite the crazy cat lady just yet
Old Dec 4th 2006, 8:09 pm
Account Closed

gardnma will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Tbag
..................... but I'm not quite the crazy cat lady just yet

Hello Fred.

Would you care to alter that last wild claim?
Old Dec 4th 2006, 8:11 pm
Slight chance of Showers

dan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond repute

Did Secret Santa last year but not this year. Got a book that I have no interest in reading and this year everyone has the following list:
  1. Gift card from ....................
  2. Gift card from ...................
  3. Gift card from .................

to which I do not see the point.
Old Dec 4th 2006, 8:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gardnma
Hello Fred.

Hello
It's a bit :scared: isn't it I suppose that's the impression I must give.... what does that tell you I'm actually quite normal really........
I'm scoffing Turkish delight as we speak and I was just telling Vic that I tried mincemeat heated up and poured over ice cream last night..... very yummy indeed
Old Dec 4th 2006, 8:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hello Fred.

By the way, I like your rat thing avatar, I'm in search of a Christmassy one today
Old Dec 4th 2006, 9:16 pm
Account Closed

gardnma will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Tbag
By the way, I like your rat thing avatar, I'm in search of a Christmassy one today
It's not a rat - its a "filligree hamster". Name the quote - if you can.

Nice to see you back Fred.
Old Dec 4th 2006, 9:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

It's not a rat - its a "filligree hamster". Name the quote - if you can.

Nice to see you back Fred.
that has to be Fawlty Towers ? Have you seen the decorations at Jersey girls place, I think the Sextuplets helped
Old Dec 4th 2006, 11:06 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

What a good idea Bob...thank you. Being as I don't work I shall buy myself 2 pressies...wrap them both...then close my eyes and choose one. What a good idea...I can't think why I never thought of it before.
Old Dec 4th 2006, 11:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
well if you haven't heard of these customs, there ain't much help for johnny foreigner having much of a clue....I thought these, along with secret santa's were pretty large work thing around here....I'd certainly never heard of them till I cam here though.
Yes and everything that happens where you live happens everywhere in this big country......does that happen in the UK as well?
Old Dec 4th 2006, 11:33 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

i dunno cookie exchange and now yankee swap, it's all happening

never heard of a yankee swap, don't think we have yankie swaps down here maybe they do a texan swap but i aint swapping my texan not for all the tea in china
Old Dec 4th 2006, 11:42 pm
long live thefinest range

Location: Higham Ferrers, Northants to Spokane Washington and back again!!
Hayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
i dunno cookie exchange and now yankee swap, it's all happening

never heard of a yankee swap, don't think we have yankie swaps down here maybe they do a texan swap but i aint swapping my texan not for all the tea in china
What time are folks chrimbo parties finishing? My work do is over at 10pm. Roll out the barrel. :scared:
Old Dec 4th 2006, 11:44 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Hayley
What time are folks chrimbo parties finishing? My work do is over at 10pm. Roll out the barrel. :scared:

omg that sounds a bit late for here

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.