British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   YA taxes question (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/ya-taxes-question-710846/)

rpjs Mar 25th 2011 4:36 pm

YA taxes question

I've seen it mentioned several times in these forums that USCs living abroad get an automatic extension until June for filing their taxes.

Does anyone know if this applies as well to USCs who have returned to the US since the end of the tax year in question? - I.e. they are now resident in the US again but will be filing for a tax year where they were resident in the UK throughout.

Not a biggy, but what with all the running around she's been doing getting stuff ordered and delivered for the new apartment, it'd be nice to be able to tell OH that she doesn't need to worry about filing her taxes for a little while longer :)

Rete Mar 25th 2011 4:53 pm

Re: YA taxes question

Anyone can file for an extension.

There might be a penalty to pay if you owe taxes but don't believe there is any if you don't owe taxes.

Welcome to Tarrytown. My daughter is just up the road from you in Sleepy Hollow.

rpjs Mar 25th 2011 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by Rete (Post 9264319)
Anyone can file for an extension.

Oh I don't think it's worth filing for an extension as it only took us an hour or so to do the last three years' when we were doing the visa paperwork.

Originally Posted by Rete (Post 9264319)
There might be a penalty to pay if you owe taxes but don't believe there is any if you don't owe taxes.

That's true. The penalty is a percentage of the tax owing and there'd be no tax to pay.

Welcome to Tarrytown. My daughter is just up the road from you in Sleepy Hollow.
Thank you. It's very nice there. We're just north of Main Street near Patriots' Park and the Sleepy Hollow village line. And after seven years subject to the tender mercies of Southeastern trains the Metro-North railroad is commuter heaven for me!

meauxna Mar 25th 2011 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by rpjs (Post 9264296)
I've seen it mentioned several times in these forums that USCs living abroad get an automatic extension until June for filing their taxes.

Does anyone know if this applies as well to USCs who have returned to the US since the end of the tax year in question? - I.e. they are now resident in the US again but will be filing for a tax year where they were resident in the UK throughout.

Not a biggy, but what with all the running around she's been doing getting stuff ordered and delivered for the new apartment, it'd be nice to be able to tell OH that she doesn't need to worry about filing her taxes for a little while longer :)

There is a two month automatic/no application extension given to USCs abroad on April 15.

There is a six month extension available by application (no adjudication, just file the form) to anyone.

http://www.irs.gov/formspubs/article...=98155,00.html

http://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/...blink100047323

Rete Mar 25th 2011 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by rpjs (Post 9264369)
Oh I don't think it's worth filing for an extension as it only took us an hour or so to do the last three years' when we were doing the visa paperwork.

LOL Then why did you ask?

Thank you. It's very nice there. We're just north of Main Street near Patriots' Park and the Sleepy Hollow village line. And after seven years subject to the tender mercies of Southeastern trains the Metro-North railroad is commuter heaven for me!
I know that area well. I drive up and down Benedict Avenue when I visit her and head north on Broadway. Have you shopped on Saturdays yet at the Farmer's Market? Also I worked at the Washington Irving Boat Club at the tip of the train station.

rpjs Mar 25th 2011 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by meauxna (Post 9264470)
There is a two month automatic/no application extension given to USCs abroad on April 15.

Thanks for that - yes, quite clear now that the automatic extension is only available to USCs/PRs actually resident abroad on that date. Oh well guess we need to re-read the super BE Wiki article on filing US taxes for one last year then. :)

Next year as it'll be a tax year when we were both resident in the US for all but a week, but for the first month were still being paid from the UK I think it's really going to pay us to hire an accountant...

rpjs Mar 25th 2011 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by Rete (Post 9264491)
LOL Then why did you ask?

Like I said, getting the move organised has been a lot of work and it'd be nice to know there's one bit of paperwork we could put off a bit longer.

Originally Posted by Rete (Post 9264491)
I know that area well. I drive up and down Benedict Avenue when I visit her and head north on Broadway. Have you shopped on Saturdays yet at the Farmer's Market? Also I worked at the Washington Irving Boat Club at the tip of the train station.

Tomorrow will be our first Saturday in the area, and we've heard the Farmers' Market doesn't begin until June. I'm sure we'll be regulars there when it does though.

meauxna Mar 25th 2011 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by rpjs (Post 9264492)
Thanks for that - yes, quite clear now that the automatic extension is only available to USCs/PRs actually resident abroad on that date. Oh well guess we need to re-read the super BE Wiki article on filing US taxes for one last year then. :)

Next year as it'll be a tax year when we were both resident in the US for all but a week, but for the first month were still being paid from the UK I think it's really going to pay us to hire an accountant...

Did you become a PR in 2010? If so, you may find that you are a tax resident for all of your 2010 income (reporting).

rpjs Mar 25th 2011 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by meauxna (Post 9264510)
Did you become a PR in 2010? If so, you may find that you are a tax resident for all of your 2010 income (reporting).

No, we originally planned to move just before last Christmas but the UK snowfail delayed us until Jan this year, so at least the silver lining is that I don't have to file taxes until next year.

meauxna Mar 25th 2011 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by rpjs (Post 9264538)
No, we originally planned to move just before last Christmas but the UK snowfail delayed us until Jan this year, so at least the silver lining is that I don't have to file taxes until next year.

Oh that's right.. I'll remember it by next May. :D