British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Xmas UK Flights (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/xmas-uk-flights-701311/)

CAdreaming Jan 19th 2011 8:14 am

Re: Xmas UK Flights

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad (Post 9112214)
We do the trip from Houston to Teesside (sorry, Durham Tees Valley International) as a family of 5 (kids 5/7/9) and its generally around about a grand a head. We go thru Amsterdam because the connections are generally better than London, even though it means we have to use KLM. Sometimes we go to Newcastle or Leeds, depending on availability of direct flights to AMS, but 1st choice is Teesside. It used to be a little over 500 for off-peak, and 1000 for peak. The last couple of years its been 1000ish whenever. Once we tried to book late, got screwed on connections and had to go through Minneapolis, so the last couple of times I've booked early and monitored the prices and its never got cheaper, and once ramped up quite a bit in the last couple of weeks. Booking now is pretty early, but travelling with kids I like to go for the easy option, so if you like the connections, like the price, I'd be tempted to go for it rather than try to get a few hundred bucks off and end up with an extra connection, added travel time, cranky kids......

All that being said, we're going back this Christmas and I haven't even thought about looking at flights yet!

Hi Yorkieabroad
When i get to the states adn want to visit UK my flights from San Fran will be to Teesside - somehow - havent worked out how yet! Hmm guess Virgin or United doesn't go from Teesside :) You have given me an idea tho regarding Amsterdam so thanks!

tonrob Jan 19th 2011 10:06 am

Note to all - AA are currently in the midst of a pissing match with a number of travel sites regarding listing fees. This has led to AA fares either not being displayed as prominently, or not at all in some cases, even if they are the cheapest option. This has already escalated a bit and not sure when it will end. Make sure you check a number of the 'usual' sites (e.g. Kayak, Expedia, Travelocity, Orbitz etc.) and compare what you find.

CAdreaming Jan 19th 2011 10:22 am

Originally Posted by tonrob (Post 9112777)
Note to all - AA are currently in the midst of a pissing match with a number of travel sites regarding listing fees. This has led to AA fares either not being displayed as prominently, or not at all in some cases, even if they are the cheapest option. This has already escalated a bit and not sure when it will end. Make sure you check a number of the 'usual' sites (e.g. Kayak, Expedia, Travelocity, Orbitz etc.) and compare what you find.

thanks!! hope sproutlet is doing good!:thumbup:

Jerseygirl Jan 19th 2011 11:55 am

Originally Posted by N1cky (Post 9112170)
I booked our xmas flights in July last year, they were cheaper in August and September, twice as much in October and three times more in November and December. Don't know why I feel the need to check once i've booked, I'm just sad I guess:(

My daughter booked hers then too...then the price was reduced by $600.

Scouse Express Jan 19th 2011 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by AdobePinon (Post 9112334)
I would guess that somewhere between $750 to $900 each would be a reasonable non-sale price. BA might be more expensive - their fees and 'taxes' are through the roof. End of summer has usually been the best time to buy for me - you're looking way too early to get a deal.

The "Carbon Departure Tax" imposed by Gordon Brown, when he was Chencellor, is what nails you, especially if you are travelling Business or First ($160 per person). It's $80 for Coach Class.

Try returning on New Years Day. That may bring the price down somewhat.

Jim.

Yorkieabroad Jan 19th 2011 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by CAdreaming (Post 9112507)
Hi Yorkieabroad
When i get to the states adn want to visit UK my flights from San Fran will be to Teesside - somehow - havent worked out how yet! Hmm guess Virgin or United doesn't go from Teesside :) You have given me an idea tho regarding Amsterdam so thanks!

Yeah, they work pretty well - we've been using the Amsterdam connection since the mid 90's when we were in Singapore. Then they were about 2/3 the cost of BA, and had the advantage of not connecting thru London - when we lost our bags on the third consecutive transit through Heathrow we gave up! Unfortunately they dont hold the same price competitiveness now, but we still use them for the connection convenience. The planes are old and crappy, and they always screw up the seating arrangements (why can't airlines handle groups of 5 traveling together?), but at least the planes now have seatback entertainment so they are more on a par with the other transatlantic competition. The other avantage with KLM is that they have connections out of Leeds and Newcastle as well so if Teesside is screwed up because of the weather, theres a good chance of getting out of one of the other close airports, which we have done a few times in the last couple of years.

AmerLisa Jan 19th 2011 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by MrsY (Post 9112100)
I know, and with it being Xmas time its ever harder to know whether to wait or book now.

I might add that my older daughter flies with her little ones (5 and 2) over to Seattle from Leeds. She has done BA once (over a Christmas holiday) and it was pretty expensive. KLM usually has better deals. Its not always the best airline to fly with though. This last time she came (this past summer) she went through Delta, it was horrible!

MrsY Jan 19th 2011 2:20 pm

I think British Airways sounds the best bet, esp with small kids, otherwise it would be Delta of KLM via Amsterdam. $4223 is on the cheapest days out and return. My husband reckons being Xmas it wouldn't get that much cheaper.

Rougesvp Jan 19th 2011 5:38 pm

Got to be honest I have not looked, but have you checked prices from Vancouver back to the UK. I have friends who live in Olympia, WA and they generally go out of Vancouver.

Are airmiles not an option, particularly as you are booking so far in advance?

dgsyd1 Jan 19th 2011 6:08 pm

We're going back for Christmas this year too, but we won't be booking up before August, mainly because my wife can't book the time off at work before then. We usually fly direct from DTW-LHR. It's about a 90 minute drive to/from the airport at both ends, but I usually find after an 8 hour flight, the last thing I want to do is get straight onto another plane.

Rougesvp Jan 19th 2011 6:09 pm

Go Spartans!:D

AdobePinon Jan 20th 2011 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by MrsY (Post 9113347)
My husband reckons being Xmas it wouldn't get that much cheaper.

I would disagree with him. Airlines are not worried about packing the cattle into a plane 11 months out.

Vinnyvagus Jan 20th 2011 3:21 pm

On the subject of flights I'm looking to fly back to LHR from here in NC (RDU airport) direct with AA and for myself, wife and 3 year old son we will be paying $1200 each for a seat. Seems as if its a lot cheaper coming the other way from LHR to RDU though (and paying in £). Same flights as well.

keaki80 Jan 20th 2011 3:37 pm

Hi MrsY,
I must live in your neck of the woods as Sea-Tac is where we use, too. I flew back to UK three times just last year, and I have never paid as much as $1,000 for economy. I think it is way too much and I would advise you to wait. I can't imagine many people have booked yet, so prices are high. They drop later in the year and will go up again as December gets closer.
I would advise you keep checking every week or so, and at different times of day. I have NEVER understood the way airlines work out seat-prices, but you may find they suddenly offer a great deal.
One time my son was on the BA web-site in UK and me here AT THE SAME TIME, and he managed to get the same flight for $75 less!! It is very crazy.

I'd suggest you hold back a bit, a little less than $1,000 per person is a better deal. I agree with being in the BA executive club, you will very quickly get enough for a flight - and, I don't know how close you are to Sea-tac, but we often use Vancouver, Canada to fly from as the prices there are sometimes quite a bit cheaper than from Sea-Tac.

Good luck.. it would be interesting to know where you are in WA.:)

CTland Jan 20th 2011 3:58 pm

My family used to fly NY to Teesside a couple of times a year, either via Amsterdam with klm or thro London with virgin/brit midland. Over the years we found that the best bet was getting on Brit soil direct and if needs be hiring a car/ jumping a train up to Darlington -after flt delays cancellations etc- this happened more than once!
Best price recently has been thro Manchester with Delta/Continental and the train goes from the airport to D'ton.
Past years the prices in Dec used to jump up about a week before Christmas (in line with school holidays?) so if you can stretch it to a three week stay you will probably get a better price