Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

xmas time in a U.S company...

xmas time in a U.S company...

Old Dec 20th 2003, 12:36 am
Corpsicle

nathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the rough

I think it really depends on the company, and geographic location has nothing to do with it.

My company just had it's official staff party last week, in the very plush upper ball room of the Terrace on the Park in New York. They rented a 5000 sq foot room with a beautiful view of Manhattan at night; solid marble floors, a gormet buffet, open/free bars with unlimited access to beer and quality liquor, all night DJ, and staff waiting on you hand and foot for every little need.

That's Goodwill, not some uber mega profit company. I shudder to think how much that room could cost.

We also had a smaller inner office party, with a secret santa/chris cringle, party games, homemade food, and snacks and soda. Very cool.

My wifes bank gives out a 25/30lb Turkey each Thanksgiving and xmas too.

Whether a company is stingy has nothing to do with what country it's in, but with who the upper management are
Old Dec 20th 2003, 12:37 am
Forum Regular

englishinusa is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: xmas time in a U.S company...

I can't put my finger on it, it just seems we Brits celebrate alot more leading upto christmas more than the Yanks! weird I calls it.
Well, we got a Christmas party. I couldn't go, though, as my wife was down with the 'flu.

No daytime drinking at all of course, not on a work day!

Last Christmas Eve, we went out looking for somewhere to have a few drinks. All the bars were closed (this was about 7pm Christmas Eve). Virtually all the restaurants were also closed. We eventually ended up at a TGI Fridays, and despite it being the only place to drink for miles around there were only a couple of dozen people there!

I reckon Americans celebrate too many holidays for Christmas to be a big deal. It's only a month after Thanksgiving, which is in turn a month after Halloween. People are sick and tired of celebrating when Christmas comes around.
Old Dec 20th 2003, 1:45 pm
Sad old Crinkly Member

excpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond repute

We all got a shock this year.
I work for Florida State University, ie we aint getting zip !

But lo and behold, their lordships have decided to give us time off (paid) from Dec 26th - Jan 5th.
Also if you earn less than 35K there is a $300 bonus !! (Counts me out ) But , hell 6 days extra vacation. Now that ain't bad

Now, just have to get the misses out of her Christmas nursing shifts then were set for a real Christmas
Old Dec 20th 2003, 10:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

supernav will become famous soon enoughsupernav will become famous soon enough

I don't know where you're getting your info.

Most companies people wind up taking from 1-2 weeks off,a nd we have HUGE xmas parties, and lots of decorations, and even lunches too and bonuses. End of the year, at every US company i've worked for --- has been a great time (unless you're worried about geting laid off).

Where i'm working now, i'm off for 2 weeks, paid. Leaving this wed for Toronto, Canada and come back to LA start of the new year. Lots of time to spend time with family, watch LOTR, play xbox, guitar, go to Tim Hortons, and do some skiing!!! Yeah!!

-= nav =-
Old Dec 21st 2003, 12:13 am
Just Joined

sallys is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy

Hmmmm - don't know where you get YOUR info... I have worked for a number of US companies since arriving here in '74 - including very large (HP), small, banks, etc. etc. and not one of them closed at Christmas except for the day of! Some had parties from small to large, some gave small gifts, but that's it! Where I work now, we go until 5 PM on Christmas eve!
Old Dec 22nd 2003, 3:03 am
BE Enthusiast

supernav will become famous soon enoughsupernav will become famous soon enough

>not one of them closed at Christmas

What kind of dumb company would make their employees work on xmas??!!

-= nav =-
Old Dec 22nd 2003, 4:12 am
Just Joined

sallys is an unknown quantity at this point

sorry - I meant by "except the day of" that only on Christmas Day did they close - no other days...
Old Dec 22nd 2003, 4:01 pm
UK & US Citizen

ScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by supernav
What kind of dumb company would make their employees work on xmas??!!

-= nav =-
Hospitals
Hotels
Airlines
Police
TV Stations
Radio Stations
Firefighters
Paramedics
Electric Companies
Telephone companies
etc
etc

For some of us, Christmas is just another day to work. We have to celebrate on a different day.

Pete