Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

xmas time in a U.S company...

xmas time in a U.S company...

Old Dec 16th 2003, 10:36 pm
Forum Regular

Poshpaws is an unknown quantity at this point

I have to ask..(unless you are married to an American) how did you lot get here with temp jobs etc?
Old Dec 16th 2003, 10:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute

Hubby's firm does quite well- Christmas dinner, generous gift certificates and various gifts from business associates- they also have a Christmas brunch on the last day and best of all the place shuts down for a week! I on the other hand get a $50 American Express gift certificate and have to work Christmas night No party nothing....and nothing like the 'works do's' and Christmas bonuses in UK.
Old Dec 16th 2003, 10:43 pm
Professional Mover

Location: Derry, NH Via Salem, NH via Ma, NC, ex Manchester, UK.
RoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by Poshpaws
I have to ask..(unless you are married to an American) how did you lot get here with temp jobs etc?
I'm married to an american.....
Old Dec 17th 2003, 2:19 pm
Never right in the head!

Yosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Poshpaws
Yosser....a care package is not so great as a hamper..so don't get carried away..You have not been here that long have you..I can tell.
I have been here 4 years never heard of a care package, but seriously I'm fine maybe donate one to a local charity of something!

Thats something we all need to do, even our local Starbucks is collecting toys for kids in need, I going to drop a few pressies off at the weekend, my brother-in-law (the loaded one) has through his company adopted a family (can't remember the proper title) for xmas gifts this year he is buying each child $200 of toys, the thing is theres 7 of the buggers!.
Old Dec 17th 2003, 8:11 pm
Forum Regular

RChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to all

I got a poinsetta plant as a company gift (this is my first working Xmas in the US) ...great! I went to my wifes workplaces Xmas do last year and it's all so bloody formal...not many people seem to let there hair down much over here. I get no pay for the 2 days I have to take off at Xmas either.
When I told my American co workers about my last Xmas bonus in the UK (about 1500 quid) they were amazed!
Old Dec 17th 2003, 8:49 pm
Time Lord

dgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond repute

I've been making the people at work jealous by telling them that in the UK most companies shut down on Christmas Eve and don't open again until January 2. Certainly makes Christmas a lot more fun than having to go back to work on Boxing Day.
Old Dec 17th 2003, 9:26 pm
Maltesers, Flake, Mars

kazzuk is an unknown quantity at this point

This is our first Christmas, next year we are booking flights to the UK for when we break up and are not returning until the New Year. As much as we love living here, it just isn't the same at Christmas time, we are already looking forward to seeing family, having real belly laughing festive fun, January sales - that really are sales and as my husband pointed out - loads of matches over the Christmas and New Year and a couple of curries in between.
Old Dec 17th 2003, 9:49 pm
Professional Mover

Location: Derry, NH Via Salem, NH via Ma, NC, ex Manchester, UK.
RoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by kazzuk
This is our first Christmas, next year we are booking flights to the UK for when we break up and are not returning until the New Year. As much as we love living here, it just isn't the same at Christmas time, we are already looking forward to seeing family, having real belly laughing festive fun, January sales - that really are sales and as my husband pointed out - loads of matches over the Christmas and New Year and a couple of curries in between.
Okay, okay...... don't rub it in, you lucky so and so!!!
Old Dec 17th 2003, 10:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

snorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond repute

I imagine a lot of it is more to do with who you work for rather than what country you are in. At the last company my husband worked for we got a meal and free bar for the Christmas do for the first couple of years, last year, they were so broke we hadn't been paid for two months by Christmas.

This year we had a fantastic Christmas party at the new company, we got a computer from them and a bonus. Really made our Christmas, but it was the first really decent thing we've ever got from any of my hubby's employers. In the game industry these days, particulary in the UK, you are just lucky to be getting paid at all.

Last edited by snorkmaiden; Dec 18th 2003 at 11:59 am.
Old Dec 17th 2003, 10:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

mrsm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: xmas time in a U.S company...

It's very festive at my job. I'm working in a school, the classrooms are decorated for Hanukah, Kwanzaa & Christmas, you can't move for Poinsettia plants everywhere & the teachers are all wearing the Christmas motif clothes. I only started there last Thursday so I declined the invite to the piss-up they had on the Friday night, they all got paralytic apparently. There is food everywhere, biscuits & chocolates etc in the offices and staff room, the teachers eat all day even while teaching, while the poor kids slave over their desks. Not me though, I don't think it's fair on the kids, but Christmas holidays start on Friday for two weeks - It's a great job!
Old Dec 18th 2003, 3:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond repute

I phoned into work this morning to be told that they held the Christmas party last week as one of my co-workers has to go to jail starting tomorrow (19th) *sigh*
No idea if we're getting xmas bonuses / potted plants or whatever coz our shareholders are a bunch of mean arsed tightwads

Jan
Old Dec 18th 2003, 3:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Pimpbot
I'm off to my wifes works christmas party tomorrow at a fancy steak restaurant where we have a private room for dinner. I was going to order the $79 dollar porterhouse that they have on the menu, but my wife thought that would be a no no.
Well, we had the works dinner last night and it was wonderfull. I had both steak and lobster all washed down with some fine wine a few jack daniels and cokes and a shot that my wifes boss persuaded me to down called gropka(sp?). It was in a very large room at the Mortons steak house and the service and food was excellent. I even came home with a bottle of bubbly
Old Dec 18th 2003, 3:36 pm
Never right in the head!

Yosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Pimpbot
Well, we had the works dinner last night and it was wonderfull. I had both steak and lobster all washed down with some fine wine a few jack daniels and cokes and a shot that my wifes boss persuaded me to down called gropka(sp?). It was in a very large room at the Mortons steak house and the service and food was excellent. I even came home with a bottle of bubbly
Lobster and steak....boxes of goodies sent over from the U.K....tax rebate checks from the U.K.

Your the type that falls into shit and comes up smelling of roses aren't ya Pimp
Old Dec 18th 2003, 3:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

Did I also tell ya that I have a Liverpool victoria savings bond type thingy maturing in febuary as well? Oh, and one in june. Who needs work
Old Dec 18th 2003, 7:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond repute

OK I take back what I said about tightwads .... I popped in to see if they would sort out my pay (even more GRRRRRR) and was told we all got a 10lb turkey for xmas. Ahhhh they do care :x

Jan

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.