Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

xmas time in a U.S company...

xmas time in a U.S company...

Old Dec 16th 2003, 5:30 pm
Never right in the head!

Yosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond repute
Default xmas time in a U.S company...

For those that have employment here in the U.S and to those that are trying to find a job or waiting for a EAD, Christmas time seems to be so different here.

1. Time off seems a big no-no, no more whole weeks off here.
2. The last 4 xmas I've been working here under several different companies I have never had a xmas party.
3. We have accounts with several manufacturers and we have spent over $250,000 with many of them this year, one sent us a christmas card and a piece of ghastly tasting fruit cake and that was it? what happened to xmas hampers that companys would send out to loyal customers I ask you?

I can't put my finger on it, it just seems we Brits celebrate alot more leading upto christmas more than the Yanks! weird I calls it.
Old Dec 16th 2003, 5:34 pm
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: xmas time in a U.S company...

Originally posted by Yosser
For those that have employment here in the U.S and to those that are trying to find a job or waiting for a EAD, Christmas time seems to be so different here.

2. The last 4 xmas I've been working here under several different companies I have never had a xmas party.
3. We have accounts with several manufacturers and we have spent over $250,000 with many of them this year, one sent us a christmas card and a piece of ghastly tasting fruit cake and that was it? what happened to xmas hampers that companys would send out to loyal customers I ask you?

I can't put my finger on it, it just seems we Brits celebrate alot more leading upto christmas more than the Yanks! weird I calls it.

I don't even work for a company and I have been to two work christmas parties already (one as a guest of my neighbor whos husband couldn't go). My wife and all but two of my neighbors have the whole of Christmas week off (compulsory and it costs them 3 days vacation).

Nokia on the other hand always had there Christmas party in January, when it costs less.

Either Texas or NC is weird (and seeing as you live in Texas I am edging my bets on it being Texas)

Patrick
Old Dec 16th 2003, 5:37 pm
I'm as thick as a plank!

PrincessofWales is an unknown quantity at this point

I thought the Yanks had one big holiday from Thanksgiving through New Year...unofficially that is.

During this period the average joe slackens off a bit, shows his face at the office around 10.30 leaves at 4.00, commute is easier, attends parties and lunch dates galore, "works from home" 2 days a week...etc, etc.
Old Dec 16th 2003, 5:51 pm
Never right in the head!

Yosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond repute

Last xmas, i was working for a telecomunication company and the boss felt really generous he let us leave at 3.30 pm on christmas eve providing all the work had been done

no xmas bonus, no xmas party.....bugger all.
Old Dec 16th 2003, 6:30 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: xmas time in a U.S company...

Originally posted by Yosser

Yes, working in the US during Christmas is kind of odd. Gone are the days when you and your coworkers would go out for drinks/to the pub at Christmas. Firstly, nobody ever drinks alcohol during the working day.

Another thing that's odd is that, at my workplace at least, the Christmas "do" was hastily arranged about two weeks before the date AND it's held at the weekend! It's as if there's no way it would be held on a workday (during the day).

I think lots of people in my dept. (I can't speak for the other 15,000 or so, many of whom work in the hospital) are taking the week off between Christmas and New Year.

People have expressed some surprise that I'm heading to the UK for Christmas. I guess they expected me to spend Christmas in the US (I did last year) but since my family are in the UK, it shouldn't be that surprising as pretty much all my colleagues are getting together their families in the US.

Christmas is pretty low key compared to the UK which is pretty odd to me since I'm living in the South and virtually everyone I work with goes to church or has some kind of church affiliation.

We had a cubicle/door decorating competition and I got the impression that including any reference to religion wouldn't win "Brownie points" so my effort was decorated with a penguin theme (of course).

NC Penguin
Old Dec 16th 2003, 6:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

I'm off to my wifes works christmas party tomorrow at a fancy steak restaurant where we have a private room for dinner. I was going to order the $79 dollar porterhouse that they have on the menu, but my wife thought that would be a no no.
Old Dec 16th 2003, 7:23 pm
Forum Regular

Poshpaws is an unknown quantity at this point

It all depends who you work for.

Hubby's company has always been generous...not so much this year though. Still, we are having a Christmas dinner at a fancy restaurant. Last year we did the same, and two weeks before that we all went to Tahoe for a night at company expense. Year before that it was a weekend in Las Vegas, all expenses paid with a huge hamper to great us in our rooms...Always a Christmas bonus too!

Not too shabby , hey?
Old Dec 16th 2003, 7:27 pm
Never right in the head!

Originally posted by Poshpaws
It all depends who you work for.

Hubby's company has always been generous...not so much this year though. Still, we are having a Christmas dinner at a fancy restaurant. Last year we did the same, and two weeks before that we all went to Tahoe for a night at company expense. Year before that it was a weekend in Las Vegas, all expenses paid with a huge hamper to great us in our rooms...Always a Christmas bonus too!

Not too shabby , hey?
Bloody 'ell, I must be working for some right tight-arses then, all i've ever had was $20 one year for a thanksgiving turkey!
Old Dec 16th 2003, 7:30 pm
Forum Regular

Yosser.

Who do you work for? Is it a corporation or a family business? Makes a difference.
Old Dec 16th 2003, 7:37 pm
Never right in the head!

Yosser.

Who do you work for? Is it a corporation or a family business? Makes a difference.
right now its family owned, although I have worked under the coporate company's, just a case of bad luck I guess.
Old Dec 16th 2003, 7:42 pm
Forum Regular

Yosser,

I'll send you a care package if you like..I mean it.

You know, your name seems to ring a bell..Are you a remnant fom the old WBS days by any chance?
Old Dec 16th 2003, 7:58 pm
I'm as thick as a plank!

PrincessofWales is an unknown quantity at this point

Oddly enough the most generous Christmas bonus package I got was when I was in the UK working for that old goat Muhammad Al Fayed, for an Egyptian he really got into the Chrsitmas spirit and handed out a 1/2 liter bottle of Harrods plonk and a Harrods Christmas pud for all his staff.

At the time I was disgusted, but looking back, considering I was on a a paltry retail salary, I did alright I suppose.

no Christmas bonus's stateswise though just a sodding severance package.
Old Dec 16th 2003, 9:02 pm
Never right in the head!

Yosser,

I'll send you a care package if you like..I mean it.

You know, your name seems to ring a bell..Are you a remnant fom the old WBS days by any chance?
Sorry Poshpaws, I haven't a clue what yer talking about, care package? is that a free xmas hamper?

WBS? no but I was in the WWF once! "can ya smell what the Yosser is cooking"...
Old Dec 16th 2003, 9:46 pm
Professional Mover

Location: Derry, NH Via Salem, NH via Ma, NC, ex Manchester, UK.
RoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to behold

I'm currently working on a temp to perm basis and was horrified that as a temp you have no rights at all..... that means even though the company I work for is closed christmas and new years day, I won't be getting paid for the time off......

Also noticed that there has been no chritmas do and everything definitely seems to be alot more low key. Back in the UK we'd have had about 4 or 5 piss ups at work just for the sake of it during the run up to the big day!

Last edited by RoB1833; Dec 17th 2003 at 4:02 am.
Old Dec 16th 2003, 10:34 pm
Forum Regular

Yosser....a care package is not so great as a hamper..so don't get carried away..You have not been here that long have you..I can tell.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.