British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Xmas Cards; Tracking down lost UK friends (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/xmas-cards%3B-tracking-down-lost-uk-friends-341462/)

Englishmum Dec 7th 2005 1:31 am

Xmas Cards; Tracking down lost UK friends

I received a Christmas card today from an old friend and for the life of me I can't think of where I listed her address and she didn't write it on the envelope. I know she's ex-directory so there wasn't much point in looking her up on the British Telecom website (assuming she's even with them these days).

I tried to look her up on the UK electoral register....but most results came up with sites where they charge you for giving the info :mad: However, I have now found a site where you can get the info (address and phone number) free of charge. I've found my friend's address (and those of a few more people I've lost track of over the years :) ) and interestingly the results also came up with a news report of some abseiling my friend did for charity a few months ago....complete with a photo of her doing it!

So if you're stumped for your Aunty Edna's address or an old college mate, this website is worth a try:

http://www.b4usearch.com

On the right hand side of the page you will see "People Finder" You just need to type in their name, but ideally also the town or county where you think they're living if possible.

When you get the page listing the results, scroll halfway down the page for the listings under 'Electoral Register' and click the yellow 'phone' icon to view it.

Bob Dec 7th 2005 4:45 am

Re: Xmas Cards; Tracking down lost UK friends

superb find :)

Circus-of-Power Dec 7th 2005 5:07 am

I have to agree ... that is a priceless find :D

redlobster Dec 7th 2005 6:36 am

This is brilliant....No hiding place !!
Redlobster

Englishmum Dec 7th 2005 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by redlobster
Redlobster

Ooooh....I typed in the name of an ex-boyfriend from many years ago out of curiosity...he was a bit older than me and every time we went out on a date his best friend and best friend's wife always seemed to be tagging along as well (and they all worked for the same well-known national UK company). I eventually found out that my boyfriend was having an affair with his best friend's wife and I was being used as a 'foil' to cover up their sordid deeds.... :mad: A short time after I split up with him the husband found out -typically being the last to know, I think he was in denial - and there was a huge fight....however the wife and my ex-boyfriend moved in together in another town about 50 miles away and her husband divorced her.

After typing in my ex-boyfriend's details on the above website, he is still living with his ex-best friend's wife (the bitch :D ) but she still retains her original married name so I guess they never got married..... :p

Big D Dec 7th 2005 10:09 pm

excellent fun - being a private detective must be a piece of cake these days!

Yorkieabroad Dec 7th 2005 10:23 pm

:) great site.

I typed in an ex's name - we split up amicably, and kept in loose contact for about 15 years then lost touch 5 years ago when I moved house. I sent a few cards (birthday, post, xmas) but after not getting any replies for a couple of years, finally cut her off last year - figured she'd moved as well, and we'd missed each others change of address cards. But according to that site, she still lives in the same house so I guess that means I've been dumped again, 20 years after the first time :o :( :rolleyes: ;)

Englishmum Dec 7th 2005 11:02 pm

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
:) great site.

I typed in an ex's name - we split up amicably, and kept in loose contact for about 15 years then lost touch 5 years ago when I moved house. I sent a few cards (birthday, post, xmas) but after not getting any replies for a couple of years, finally cut her off last year - figured she'd moved as well, and we'd missed each others change of address cards. But according to that site, she still lives in the same house so I guess that means I've been dumped again, 20 years after the first time :o :( :rolleyes: ;)

That's a bummer isn't it? On the other hand, I don't know how often the info is updated by most town halls - some are probably on the ball but others like Hackney Council in London (we once lived in Uppper Clapton in Hackney) probably don't prioritise it unless an election is imminent?

My husband once tracked down an old housemate from his university days, she came to our wedding and we would get together from time to time and she was really nice and friendly....then we lost touch over the years. About 18 months ago he discovered by doing a search online that she now heads up her father's architectural practice (he's retired). Pete sent her an e-mail....and got a curt reply back from her saying that she 'doesn't do e-mails' and only got the message from one of her admin staff. We haven't heard a thing since! :rolleyes:

ScyLarc Dec 7th 2005 11:16 pm

Originally Posted by redlobster
Redlobster

That's for sure, i just found my father who i haven't spoken to since i was 14. Amazing web site!

NC Penguin Dec 8th 2005 12:19 am

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Ooooh....I typed in the name of an ex-boyfriend from many years ago out of curiosity...he was a bit older than me and every time we went out on a date his best friend and best friend's wife always seemed to be tagging along as well (and they all worked for the same well-known national UK company). I eventually found out that my boyfriend was having an affair with his best friend's wife and I was being used as a 'foil' to cover up their sordid deeds.... :mad: A short time after I split up with him the husband found out -typically being the last to know, I think he was in denial - and there was a huge fight....however the wife and my ex-boyfriend moved in together in another town about 50 miles away and her husband divorced her.

After typing in my ex-boyfriend's details on the above website, he is still living with his ex-best friend's wife (the bitch :D ) but she still retains her original married name so I guess they never got married..... :p

You should've let this (the ex) go years ago really...

NC Penguin