Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

XE Trade Question

XE Trade Question

Old Aug 14th 2007, 6:23 pm
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute
Default XE Trade Question

I've finally gotten around to buying some USD on XE but it seems I have screwed up MAJORLY! I called my UK bank who have told me that they cannot make a payment to XE unless I am present in the bank. Pretty impossible right now!

The person I spoke to at the UK bank told me that they don't have anyway for me to do this unless I am physically present in the bank, but to call back and speak to someone in their Swift Department who may be able to do this as a 'special favor'. I will call them but their operating hours are between 1am and 9am PT so that will have to wait until tomorrow. And I didn't like the sound of my chances, 'a special favor', 'a one off', didn't sound likely really.

In the meantime, has anyone ever had a similar problem? Any solutions? Note, I don't have internet banking at present.
Old Aug 14th 2007, 6:41 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: XE Trade Question

Originally Posted by CaliforniaBride
I've finally gotten around to buying some USD on XE but it seems I have screwed up MAJORLY! I called my UK bank who have told me that they cannot make a payment to XE unless I am present in the bank. Pretty impossible right now!

The person I spoke to at the UK bank told me that they don't have anyway for me to do this unless I am physically present in the bank, but to call back and speak to someone in their Swift Department who may be able to do this as a 'special favor'. I will call them but their operating hours are between 1am and 9am PT so that will have to wait until tomorrow. And I didn't like the sound of my chances, 'a special favor', 'a one off', didn't sound likely really.

In the meantime, has anyone ever had a similar problem? Any solutions? Note, I don't have internet banking at present.
I suppose the 'special favour' depends how much your account is worth to them.
Old Aug 14th 2007, 6:44 pm
Gone but not forgotten. RIP

TRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond repute

What's the Bank? It sounds like you got a moron on the phone.

I have an account at the Portman BS which has no online banking but if I send them my passbook and written instructions via Fedex they make a CHAPS payment to XE's account at Bank of America in London and I get the funds here in 3 business days.

Your Bank HAS to take written instructions from you. It is ridiculous to claim you have to be there in person.
Old Aug 14th 2007, 8:14 pm
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TRPardoe
Your Bank HAS to take written instructions from you. It is ridiculous to claim you have to be there in person.
I'll ditto that. My Dad always sends written instructions via snail-mail to his bank when he gets cash wired over to us. He's never had to be there in person.
Old Aug 14th 2007, 9:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Philgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond repute

I had the identical problem with NatWest - I resolved it by speaking with the Branch Manager and persuading him that written instructions sent by Fedex were fine if he wanted to keep my account. He was pretty reasonable about it in the end but the folks that pick up in the call center are useless drones.
Old Aug 14th 2007, 9:46 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Philgr
I had the identical problem with NatWest - I resolved it by speaking with the Branch Manager and persuading him that written instructions sent by Fedex were fine if he wanted to keep my account. He was pretty reasonable about it in the end but the folks that pick up in the call center are useless drones.
you can just use on-line banking with natwest....
Old Aug 14th 2007, 9:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Philgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
you can just use on-line banking with natwest....
Not to transfer more than something like 10K Sterling a day and I was moving the proceeds of a house sale.
Old Aug 14th 2007, 11:46 pm
You're all mugs!

dukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond repute

This is stupid! I can understand it for large, large sums but I set it up online with HSBC just like you set up any other payee. I even sent them an e-mail making sure that this was the right thing to do and they agreed. What bank are you with?

The person you spoke to sounds like a right nob cheese!
Old Aug 15th 2007, 5:55 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dukeynorton
This is stupid! I can understand it for large, large sums but I set it up online with HSBC just like you set up any other payee. I even sent them an e-mail making sure that this was the right thing to do and they agreed. What bank are you with?

The person you spoke to sounds like a right nob cheese!
I pay XE Trade the same way as I pay my Visa bill - online.

Takes about 30 seconds.
Old Aug 15th 2007, 12:05 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Not to transfer more than something like 10K Sterling a day and I was moving the proceeds of a house sale.
I did that very thing, just staggered it over a period of a few days.

You also average out the enxchange rate.

Bit more of a pain in the arse, but less so than having a bun fight with the bank...
Old Aug 15th 2007, 4:00 pm
You're all mugs!

dukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
I pay XE Trade the same way as I pay my Visa bill - online.

Takes about 30 seconds.
Yeh me too! Piece of piss I think is the technical term.
Old Aug 15th 2007, 4:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
I did that very thing, just staggered it over a period of a few days.

You also average out the enxchange rate.

Bit more of a pain in the arse, but less so than having a bun fight with the bank...
It's more than a few days when you're moving enough money to buy a house in the Bay Area - Why should anyone have to wait to get their own money just because the bank decides to make up dumb rules for their own benefit? If no one complains nothing ever gets changed.
Old Aug 15th 2007, 5:25 pm
Forum Regular

tonyghiggins is a glorious beacon of lighttonyghiggins is a glorious beacon of lighttonyghiggins is a glorious beacon of lighttonyghiggins is a glorious beacon of lighttonyghiggins is a glorious beacon of lighttonyghiggins is a glorious beacon of lighttonyghiggins is a glorious beacon of lighttonyghiggins is a glorious beacon of lighttonyghiggins is a glorious beacon of lighttonyghiggins is a glorious beacon of lighttonyghiggins is a glorious beacon of light

In that case you do it by telephone, I had to do several transactions > 25k

This was with Natwest offshore though.
Old Aug 15th 2007, 5:36 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

I use NatWest for Swift transfers I just phone and request it and give the details. About an hour before they are going to make the transfer the Swift office calls me back and asks some questions about my account to satisfy themselves the instructions have come from me and then wire the cash to MoneyCorp.

Been doing it this way for a couple of years and quite a few transfers now.

Last edited by lansbury; Aug 15th 2007 at 5:39 pm.
Old Aug 15th 2007, 8:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

tony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm with the NatWest and have never had the slightest problem in transferring funds. Sounds like your manager was not up to par with XE. I do not have to phone anyone I just transfer funds from my account to London having set up the transaction with XE beforehand.

Last edited by tony126; Aug 15th 2007 at 8:16 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.