British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   XBox360 or PS2? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/xbox360-ps2-408343/)

Pickles Nov 16th 2006 12:00 am

XBox360 or PS2?

So with Xmas just around the corner I was thinking what I am going to get myself for Xmas (the wife and I buy ourselves gifts now after a few dissapointing Xmas mornings since we got married, mainly her dissapointment to be honest but lets not dwell on that). I was thinking I would like to get a gaming system, I have a few games for my PC but would like to take advantage of my big screen TV. I don't want to shell out for the PS3 but can't decide between XBox360 and PS2, so anyone have either, or both? WHich is the best and why?

BritGuyTN Nov 16th 2006 12:07 am

Re: XBox360 or PS2?

Originally Posted by Pickles
So with Xmas just around the corner I was thinking what I am going to get myself for Xmas (the wife and I buy ourselves gifts now after a few dissapointing Xmas mornings since we got married, mainly her dissapointment to be honest but lets not dwell on that). I was thinking I would like to get a gaming system, I have a few games for my PC but would like to take advantage of my big screen TV. I don't want to shell out for the PS3 but can't decide between XBox360 and PS2, so anyone have either, or both? WHich is the best and why?

get a new graphics card for your PC that has an output for the TV - job done

Pickles Nov 16th 2006 12:09 am

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
get a new graphics card for your PC that has an output for the TV - job done

TV in basement, CPU on 2nd floor.

USBound Nov 16th 2006 12:11 am

ps2 renders to a MAX resolution of 640x480 (480i) and WILL look crap on a big screen TV.

it does however have many more games than 360, its cheaper AND its games are cheaper. Online is pretty bad tho.

360 will render to a HD buffer and output 720p to your nice big screen TV (provided it can take it) and will look a million times better. It has great online support including messaging and video conferencing.

its games are between $50-$80 new (mostly $60) but they can be picked up on ebay much much less.

Generally ps2 is cheaper with more games but looks bad, 360 is more expensive, looks way better and games are coming out for it all the time.

BritGuyTN Nov 16th 2006 12:36 am

[QUOTE=USBound]ps2 renders to a MAX resolution of 640x480 (480i) and WILL look crap on a big screen TV.QUOTE]

Completely agree, my PS2 i brought over with me from england looks crap on my plasma since the res is so low... good point.

Oh well, justify the expediture to yourself by building a home theatre PC that also plays games