British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   X-Box vs PS2 (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/x-box-vs-ps2-211632/)

Rockgurl Feb 20th 2004 4:34 am

X-Box vs PS2

I'm thinking about buying a gamer at some point, but can't decide which is better: X-Box or PS2. Does anyone have one or the other and what do you recommend. Looking for ease of use, great accessories, graphics capabilities, games choices and functionability.

snorkmaiden Feb 20th 2004 4:46 am

I have an X-Box - I like it, I chose between the two consoles (X-Box and PS2) at Christmas. For some reason I was just drawn to the X-Box and now that I have it I find the controls just fit my hand better than the other consoles. ( I also have a gamcube)

My hubby is a games artist and he prefers the graphics on the X-box but there are more titles available for the PS2.

I guess it really depends on what type of game you like to play. I would suggest you go to this site and ask on the game message board. They are a really friendly bunch (several expats on there too) and they helped me out with the console choice at Christmas :D

Gamerdad

Rockgurl Feb 20th 2004 4:49 am

That's really helpful! Thanks.

Jabba1 Feb 20th 2004 8:14 am

Re: X-Box vs PS2

Originally posted by Rockgurl
I'm thinking about buying a gamer at some point, but can't decide which is better: X-Box or PS2. Does anyone have one or the other and what do you recommend. Looking for ease of use, great accessories, graphics capabilities, games choices and functionability.

You could just wait until next year and buy yourself a nice shiny new PS3!!!

Anyway, the X-Box has the better graphics, but PS2 has far more titles. The PS2 also has the added bonus that it can play the older PS1 games, which gives it a remarkable library of games to chose from. Both have online capability, but I prefer the PS2's online abilities to those of the X-Box. There seems to be many more gamers using the PS2 online than the X-Box, and with the new headset you can actually talk to the gamers your playing against online.

I also have a Gamecube which I love, the graphics just really seem to come alive on the GC!!! The GC also has some really cool Resident Evil titles, including the upcomming RE4. Next month however, is the much anticipated PS2 release of Resident Evil online. This game will allow you to team up with gamers from all over the world via the internet and blow those zombies into the next time zone!!

Sounds like you've a hard choice to make.

whatever Feb 20th 2004 10:35 am

Hey Rockgirl :)

:lecture: We have followed the common route as we started out with the Sega stuff then quickly moved onto PS1... evolved to the PS2 but since the X-box arrived in our house the PS1 has a permanent position next to the portable and the X-box dominates the wide screen.
I only like the Sims so it's the boys who are really into it. For the most part, I think you can buy the same games for either. You can play DVD's on both. I *think* you can go on the internet with both. You can buy an x-box live kit and plug it into your phone socket to play against other x-boxers... pretty cool me finks!
I suppose the main difference is that you don't need to have a memory card for X-Box (it has 50,000 memory blocks for saving), although you can buy a memory card if you want to take your save's with you if you go to play on someone else's X-box (or give them your date).
When PS3 comes out next year, they'll be giving the PS2's away and no doubt x-box won't be far behind with a follow up.

Let us know which you go for
:cool:

Duncan Roberts Feb 20th 2004 12:22 pm

From a technical point of view, the xbox is a more powerful console than the ps2.

Yosser Feb 20th 2004 1:25 pm

Interesting thread, it seems people age 21 and upwards would go for a X-box purely because they would know more of the technical differences between the two.

However the PS2 is very cleverly advertised and I think it appeals more to the younger generation.

We have the PS2 and the Nintendo game cube, but the PS2 is played on 99.9% of the time, and yes I am addicted too it, so that explains for the age mentality:D

I just completed Desert Storm, excellent game.

Oggie Oi! Feb 20th 2004 2:59 pm

I actually have both (which I am almost ashamed to admit) and while the Xbox is probably the more powerful console, it has a serious problem. After about 9 months I started to get error messages stating that my discs were dirty or damaged, yet they were spotless.

Turns out that this is a VERY common problem because the drive in the Xbox is cheap and tends to malfunction. MS is more than happy to repair it - for $99. Search the web and you will find dozens of sites where people rant about this problem. Many people have had their Xbox become unplayable within a year.

My best advice is to go with PS2. It also has far more games anyhow

whatever Feb 20th 2004 3:44 pm

Originally posted by Oggie Oi!
I actually have both (which I am almost ashamed to admit) and while the Xbox is probably the more powerful console, it has a serious problem. After about 9 months I started to get error messages stating that my discs were dirty or damaged, yet they were spotless.

Turns out that this is a VERY common problem because the drive in the Xbox is cheap and tends to malfunction. MS is more than happy to repair it - for $99. Search the web and you will find dozens of sites where people rant about this problem. Many people have had their Xbox become unplayable within a year.

My best advice is to go with PS2. It also has far more games anyhow
This kept happening on ours when we tried to play a new disc we had got for Christmas. We kept blowing the non-existant dust off and putting it back in.
We thought the game was duff and took the disc back to the shops who happily changed it for another and it never happened again.

Supergirl Feb 20th 2004 5:09 pm

We have both and I only have one thing to say

PS2 EYE TOY

There's nothing like it for any other console.
The Sims you can play on a PC, Halo's pretty good......but there's nothing like the EYE TOY - only for the PS2.

tony_2003 Feb 20th 2004 7:40 pm

XBOX without a question.
Reasons:
More powerful
After you have it modded (around 50 bux...do a google search if you don't know what this is) you can...
Play ANY DVD film in the world regardless of region or if it's in PAL or NTSC, all my UK DVD's play perfectly, this is worth the price on it's own.

Put any files from your PC on it, great for backup storage.
I can download an episode of Eastenders or Corrie etc, shove it on a blank CDR and watch it in full screen on my telly through the XBOX.

Rip DVD's to the XBOX to watch at a later date.
Backup XBOX games...as long as you own the game of course ;)

My entire MP3 collection is on my XBOX, hook the XBOX audio output to a hi-fi and you have a pretty neat jukebox.

I have a proverbial sh**load of old arcade and console games installed on it which it plays perfectly, inc the old Nintendo 64, SNES, Megadrive etc. It even plays old Amiga and Commodore stuff.

As far as I am aware, none of this can be done on a PS2

edit: I've never had a problem with the XBOX drive, I know around 4 other people who have XBOX's and they have reported no probs with it.

Jabba1 Feb 21st 2004 9:31 am

Originally posted by tony_2003
XBOX without a question.
Reasons:
More powerful
After you have it modded (around 50 bux...do a google search if you don't know what this is) you can...
Play ANY DVD film in the world regardless of region or if it's in PAL or NTSC, all my UK DVD's play perfectly, this is worth the price on it's own.

I can download an episode of Eastenders or Corrie etc, shove it on a blank CDR and watch it in full screen on my telly through the XBOX.

My entire MP3 collection is on my XBOX, hook the XBOX audio output to a hi-fi and you have a pretty neat jukebox.

I have a proverbial sh**load of old arcade and console games installed on it which it plays perfectly, inc the old Nintendo 64, SNES, Megadrive etc. It even plays old Amiga and Commodore stuff.

edit: I've never had a problem with the XBOX drive, I know around 4 other people who have XBOX's and they have reported no probs with it.

Sounds as if you have a "sh**load" of free time on your hands there, Tony.:D

mattwilleyusa Feb 21st 2004 4:37 pm

I strongly recommend the XBOX. i have jad one for 1 year and love it. Graphics are better than for Playstation and it has inbuilt memory like your computer to save games. I play a lot of sports games , although Grand thrft auto vice city is a must buy when you get an XBOX.

tony_2003 Feb 21st 2004 5:26 pm

Originally posted by Jabba1
Sounds as if you have a "sh**load" of free time on your hands there, Tony.:D
I wish. The above stuff wasnt done in the same day mate, my wife saw to that. :D

Rockgurl Feb 22nd 2004 1:06 am

Originally posted by tony_2003
XBOX without a question.
Reasons:
More powerful

Wow! I had no idea you could do all that with it...that's awesome! I think you just made up my mind for me. Thanks for that! :D