Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Wrong number - bloody rude people!

Wikiposts

Wrong number - bloody rude people!

Old Jul 26th 2005, 3:30 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Wrong number - bloody rude people!

Some silly cow has given my number out to all her friends by mistake so I keep getting phone calls from people who start babbling Vietnamese at me as soon as I say "hello" (incidentally, I also got a very nice Happy Mothers Day text message so apparently even her offspring got the wrong number).

Anyway, I politely explain "I'm sorry, but I think you have the wrong number" and they ALL - yes! Every single last sodding one of them - put the phone down on me after a few silent seconds while they figure out what I have said.

So I just got another call. Unbeknownst to them, however, the worm has turned. No more Mrs Nice... ummm... person. After this git put the phone down on me, I rang back. When they answered, I said "Excuse me, but I do think that it would be more polite of you in future to apologise for disturbing a person before you hang up on them, don't you?"

Am I a mean ass cow or what? And that's not all. I even.... wait for it.... put the phone down on them.

Sometimes I wish I could be more of a bitch though. Although I reckon my husband wouldn't agree
Old Jul 26th 2005, 4:24 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wrong number - bloody rude people!

Know what you mean. I have a sheet of paper with a rather 'nice' little message on it that I fax back to everyone who tries to fax my work phone. Some of these people will try to fax something through to my voice number 15 or 20 times. You'd think they'd get a clue after two or three! And I get my fair share of hanger uppers too.

Even better are the people who enable call forwarding before they go on vacation. Their callers get mistakenly patched through to my number and have no idea they've got the wrong number because they called the right number!
Old Jul 26th 2005, 5:05 pm
looking for the corkscrew

bored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wintersong
Some silly cow has given my number out to all her friends by mistake so I keep getting phone calls from people who start babbling Vietnamese at me as soon as I say "hello" (incidentally, I also got a very nice Happy Mothers Day text message so apparently even her offspring got the wrong number).

Anyway, I politely explain "I'm sorry, but I think you have the wrong number" and they ALL - yes! Every single last sodding one of them - put the phone down on me after a few silent seconds while they figure out what I have said.

So I just got another call. Unbeknownst to them, however, the worm has turned. No more Mrs Nice... ummm... person. After this git put the phone down on me, I rang back. When they answered, I said "Excuse me, but I do think that it would be more polite of you in future to apologise for disturbing a person before you hang up on them, don't you?"

Am I a mean ass cow or what? And that's not all. I even.... wait for it.... put the phone down on them.

Sometimes I wish I could be more of a bitch though. Although I reckon my husband wouldn't agree
Yep, you're a mean ass cow.
Old Jul 27th 2005, 1:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bored-silly
Yep, you're a mean ass cow.
lol I was going to write the same thing! Well she was just begging for us to confirm it, wasn't she?
Old Jul 27th 2005, 1:40 am
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

I have hang ups.....but I've yet to have someone not say sorry if they talk.....I was chatted up by a young lad a few months ago and asked out on a date......
Old Jul 27th 2005, 4:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Philgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond repute

Some silly cow has given my number out to all her friends by mistake so I keep getting phone calls from people who start babbling Vietnamese at me as soon as I say "hello"

Maybe if you learned to say "Sorry you have the wrong number" in Vietnamese you'd find they talked to you. There's loads of people around here that don't speak any English - not sure what they could do in the situation you describe except hang-up.
Old Jul 27th 2005, 4:31 am
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Philgr
Maybe if you learned to say "Sorry you have the wrong number" in Vietnamese you'd find they talked to you. There's loads of people around here that don't speak any English - not sure what they could do in the situation you describe except hang-up.
That is a bad idea.....I said sorry wrong number yesterday in Spanish.....and she then started talking way to fast for me to translate.....so I had to put the phone down on her.......teach me to be clever......
Old Jul 27th 2005, 4:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Philgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by krizzy
That is a bad idea.....I said sorry wrong number yesterday in Spanish.....and she then started talking way to fast for me to translate.....so I had to put the phone down on her.......teach me to be clever......
Good point - need to learn a bit more of the language too!
Old Jul 27th 2005, 4:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
Know what you mean. I have a sheet of paper with a rather 'nice' little message on it that I fax back to everyone who tries to fax my work phone. Some of these people will try to fax something through to my voice number 15 or 20 times. You'd think they'd get a clue after two or three! And I get my fair share of hanger uppers too.
The fax issue is just auto-redial on a fax machine - since most people don't stand over the fax machine waiting for it to send (and with computer based fax servers there isn't a local machine to stand over) your best bet is just to forward such calls to a real fax number - then the machine delivers and stops bothering you.

What you really want to hope is that someone mean and vindictive doesn't program the fax machine to try and send your home phone number a fax at 2am - every time you answer the phone it re-tries 10 minutes later. (Not that I would ever dream of doing such things of course!)
Old Jul 27th 2005, 5:16 am
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Philgr
Now that's a plan!

Trouble is, I wouldn't have a clue what they were saying if they then started talking to me!

P.S. Lisa and BS... you'll get what's coming to you, mark my words
Old Jul 27th 2005, 5:25 am
dealing with it

Chopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really nice

Now that's a plan!

Trouble is, I wouldn't have a clue what they were saying if they then started talking to me!

P.S. Lisa and BS... you'll get what's coming to you, mark my words
I had a 4am phone call from Barclaycard the other day asking me if I wanted to sign up to their 'priveleged member' service for only 5 pounds per month and a reduced APR

I asked her what number she had dialled, she told me my number, 001 (USA Code) and all...then I asked her where she thought she was dialling...she told me Washington DC, she had my exact address...and a note of the timezone difference, which was placed on the notes after my last 4am call from them...and she had a note that I was angry and that I would cancel my account if they called me again at 4am...

Then I told her that she could ram her privleged member scheme up her ass.

I think she (for once) will read the case notes before dialling in future.

I no longer have a Barclaycard