Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

writing a letter to congressman/woman... is it worth it?

writing a letter to congressman/woman... is it worth it?

Old Jul 23rd 2002, 5:44 pm
Forum Regular

cbernard is an unknown quantity at this point
Default writing a letter to congressman/woman... is it worth it?

I work with a lot of immigrants at my office, and some say I should write a letter to my congressman. I noticed on some posts that people have done this, but have those who have written l etters gotten any response? My wife is so depressed from the wait that it's starting to affect her physically... she has been in and out of the hospital several times in the last few months

Thanks,

Court
Old Jul 23rd 2002, 5:49 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: writing a letter to congressman/woman... is it worth it?

I apologize for not recalling the nature of your problem with INS and therefore can't tell if there is a legitimate reason for you to ask for political intervention at this stage of your dealings with INS.

Normally, one does not write a letter to a representative. You either follow the format of how to get assistance from one from their website or call and ask for the immigration liaison in their office.

Our representative faxed us the form to be completed and faxed back to them. Once they received it, they then know how and if they can be of assistance. For us, Ms. Lowey's liaison was a miracle worker although I do warn you it was not instanteous but took about two weeks before they called again and got the ball rolling.

Rete
Old Jul 23rd 2002, 6:01 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Rete
I apologize for not recalling the nature of your problem with INS and therefore can't tell if there is a legitimate reason for you to ask for political intervention at this stage of your dealings with INS...

guess i should have clarified: k1/k3. i tried speaking to a rep and i get either wrong answers, 'i dont knows', or transferrs to a dead-end line.
Old Jul 23rd 2002, 6:04 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I just finished reading your post re your K3 problems. You refer to a K-1 as having a wait time of over 800 days. This is impossible. You must be referring to the I-130 instead.

On your notice of action re the K-3 what is the timeline on the notice for the ajudication of that process? A congress person will usually not intervenue unless you are over the time limit stated on the notice.

You don't mention the country your wife is from but I'm assuming it has to be either from the Philipphines or Africa from the abject poverty and living conditions you describe.

Wishing you good and god speed.

Rete
Old Jul 23rd 2002, 6:21 pm
Forum Regular

the automated system said 30 - 60 days. it's been about 75. i know with reorganization of INS that this might be typical, but when the automated system gave me the option to speak to a rep, it said "no reps are avail" and hung up.

normally i could wait but it's become a race against time. I figure i might wait a couple more weeks, and then try any means neccesarry. thanks.

the 815-825 days was what was on the NOA that I received after filing the I-130 to the Laguna Niguel service center

PS: she's from thailand, but with prejudices i get sometimes, i tend to leave that out (sucks). There's Lao and Burmese refugee camps within a day's rech of her town

Last edited by cbernard; Jul 23rd 2002 at 6:24 pm.
Old Jul 23rd 2002, 8:20 pm
Mrtravel

cbernard wrote:
    >
    > I work with a lot of immigrants at my office, and some say I should write a letter
    > to my congressman. I noticed on some posts that people have done this, but have
    > those who have written l etters gotten any response? My wife is so depressed from
    > the wait that it's starting to affect her physically... she has been in and out of
    > the hospital several times in the last few months

Is it a normal (long) wait or is there something odd about your situation?

Old Jul 23rd 2002, 9:23 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Mrtravel

Is it a normal (long) wait or is there something odd about your situation?
i dont know. i'm sure it's norrmal. i was just wondering if a letter would help.
Old Jul 24th 2002, 2:20 am
Mrtrravel

cbernard wrote:
    >
    > Mrtravel wrote:
    > > Is it a normal (long) wait or is there something odd about your situation?
    >
    > i dont know. i'm sure it's norrmal. i was just wondering if a letter would help.

It shouldn't. If everyone else is waiting, then there are 2 ways for yours to get
done faster.

a. everyone in front of you gets their's done faster
b. you jump the line

I doubt the first is going to happen, and the second one would make tend to
seem unfair.

That said, I recall getting special treatment at the IVIR office in Russia when I
went to register my visa because a friend of my wife's family had connections. But
seriously, the people there didn't come thousands of miles and with little free
time to spend there. My wife has an interesting family, I am jealous. She has
an KGB (and whatever they call it now) cousin, an uncle that worked with the space
program and made discoveries in laser technology in its infancy, and other
assorted scientists and college professors. KGB cousin wasn't invited to the
wedding celebration dinner, but came any way. My wife says he had a tape recorder
with him.