Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

wow - Ultimate rejection of personal responsibility

wow - Ultimate rejection of personal responsibility

Old May 25th 2007, 4:39 am
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute
Default wow - Ultimate rejection of personal responsibility

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...x.html?cnn=yes

booze limit is 2-3 beers. apparently the subjects blood alcohol content was nearly double that (not really very much to blame the bar for)

interesting story, I really think the accused'ed father is smoking the ganja...
Old May 25th 2007, 4:44 am
Banned

leonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: wow - Ultimate rejection of personal responsibility

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN

booze limit is 2-3 beers. apparently the subjects blood alcohol content was nearly double that (not really very much to blame the bar for)

welcome to the USA, the land of alcohol hatred! 3 beers, its the guys fault not the frickin bar or barman. in texas i believe that its illegal to be intoxicated in a bar. shit like this that make me want to go home, but i try and be strong and think of my career.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...o.627e69d.html

"Among those arrested was an Arkansas man who drank several beers at a hotel restaurant before he retired for the night to his room in the same hotel. "
Old May 25th 2007, 5:12 am
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by leonatlanta
welcome to the USA, the land of alcohol hatred! 3 beers, its the guys fault not the frickin bar or barman. in texas i believe that its illegal to be intoxicated in a bar. shit like this that make me want to go home, but i try and be strong and think of my career.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...o.627e69d.html

"Among those arrested was an Arkansas man who drank several beers at a hotel restaurant before he retired for the night to his room in the same hotel. "
wow, land of the free unless you have had a few...
Old May 25th 2007, 12:00 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

I saw this in the local paper last night. It's ridiculous. They're even suing the poor bastard whose car broke down! I think there might be precedent for the bartender being sued though. It takes real balls to sue on behalf of your son when he was the one at fault.
Old May 25th 2007, 1:22 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Authorities said the 29-year pitcher had a blood content of nearly twice the legal limit for alcohol in his system when he crashed into the back of the tow truck. He was also speeding, using a cell phone and wasn't wearing a seat belt, Police Chief Joe Mokwa said after the accident. Marijuana also was found in the SUV.

But yet it was the resturant, tow truck and the poor stalled car's driver who really were to blame.

Horseshit!!
Old May 25th 2007, 1:52 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

what a dilbert of a story...got to feel sorry for the father, but suing everyone, that's just dumb...the son was old enough to say no, and not drink so much, it's not like the bar tender was slipping him a roofy or anything.
Old May 25th 2007, 2:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

This story made me chuckle today:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/6682827.stm

Ex-employee sues IBM for firing him for using online adult chat rooms.
Old May 25th 2007, 2:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
I saw this in the local paper last night. It's ridiculous. They're even suing the poor bastard whose car broke down! I think there might be precedent for the bartender being sued though. It takes real balls to sue on behalf of your son when he was the one at fault.
It is idiotic - but there is some law or precedent re. bartenders "overserving" patrons - if they're too drunk, they're supposed to be cut off. The ridiculous part though - but the time they're visibly "too drunk" they're probably way too drunk to drive.
Old May 25th 2007, 6:23 pm
Banned

leonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond repute

this has always been my big thing since living here, in the UK they would never cut me off (well sometimes) but here, god its like a i have 5 beers and its like "no more sir". or we sit in a restaurant/bar, order drinks and eat our meal then they give us the check. what a crock. but it really depends on what bar and i dont really want to frequent biker bars to get hammered.

but to sue the bartender, blame the legal system here, i know i work in the legal field and people sue for anything, so watch out when you back out of a parking space in a supermarket for example!

Last edited by leonatlanta; May 25th 2007 at 6:26 pm.
Old May 25th 2007, 8:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

gsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tracym
It is idiotic - but there is some law or precedent re. bartenders "overserving" patrons - if they're too drunk, they're supposed to be cut off.
I've not been 'cut off' here but I was told I couldn't have more than two drinks in front of me at any one time.
Old May 26th 2007, 10:07 pm
Bugger Off!

Silly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond repute

wow, land of the free unless you have had a few...
Me and the wife got 'cut off' in a bar in downtown k-zoo last year. I wasn't nearly as drunk as the guy asleep on the bar next to us. So maybe it was a local thing, who knows, but the barman said that if a cop came in we could be breathalised. Sounded like bulls balls to me but you never know. How can they nick you for being drunk in a bar? Also, we weren't driving home. Seems like a national hangover from prohibition. What next? Arrest people for smoking crack??? I ask yer
Old May 26th 2007, 11:40 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Silly Sod
Me and the wife got 'cut off' in a bar in downtown k-zoo last year. I wasn't nearly as drunk as the guy asleep on the bar next to us. So maybe it was a local thing, who knows, but the barman said that if a cop came in we could be breathalised. Sounded like bulls balls to me but you never know. How can they nick you for being drunk in a bar? Also, we weren't driving home. Seems like a national hangover from prohibition. What next? Arrest people for smoking crack??? I ask yer

Not that I agree but it does have legal precident:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dram_Shop