Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

wow,the move is harder than i thought

wow,the move is harder than i thought

Old May 2nd 2007, 1:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: wow,the move is harder than i thought

Originally Posted by norfolkbroad
Do you get that from the SS office? If so, I'll give them a call or swing on by the local one.
yes. she gave me a couple after i explained our interested chat.
Old May 2nd 2007, 2:14 pm
Forum Regular

norfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to behold

Just went on the SS website and it's all there.
Old May 2nd 2007, 3:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

lolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hammersmith_cockney
And.....the wages in the USA are just crap...minimum wage $5.15 an hour.

I'm so glad to be leaving the USA....Superpower? Banana Republic morelike

You only realize how good England is when you leave and come to a dump like the USA.
$5.15 ? my 16 year old son earns $7.85 per hour working at the local supermarket part - time
Old May 2nd 2007, 3:59 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vicky88
I am an Accountant and feel I am more than amply rewarded financially and would have no problems changing jobs tomorrow. I think BigDavy is in the same field and he appears to have no problems getting work either.
How do you get these skills though, and work your way up in your field?

Ageism is rampant here. While there is definitely admiration for someone who does a complete career change at age 45, say, they've only got 20 years til retirement and not a lot of time to work their way up. With family commitments they find it hard to get an entry level job when they are competing with 20-somethings. I've got reams of stories of people who've gone back to get different qualifications and then failed to find a job in their field. One is an extremely intelligent engineer who got a teaching degree. This guy is a great teacher. He was asking for a senior teacher's wage -- eg $40k. Wasn't hired.
Old May 2nd 2007, 4:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Is that her big sister with her?

She's adorable -- and HUGE! but she'll probably slow down a bit and not keep this pace until 12 months.
Yep, that's her big sister. She's quite the little helper You're right - she was 15.5lbs at her 4 month visit (eek!) and has only put on a little over 2lbs, 2 1/2 months later. Had never heard of percentiles before at doctor's visits, but apparently she is in the 65th for her weight, lol.
Old May 2nd 2007, 4:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lolly
$5.15 ? my 16 year old son earns $7.85 per hour working at the local supermarket part - time
$5.15 is shocking and I couldn't believe it when I found that out. I know that as you say, the supermarkets (around here anyway) pay around $7-8 per hour. I know that my husband's ex makes $5.75 an hour working in a daycare and she has a degree in early childhood education! But of course that's just to lower her income to get more child support, ha ha. Joking aside, I always find it shocking that childcare seems to be consistenly low paid everywhere. I honestly don't know how anyone could survive on $5.15 an hour. Could you imagine anyone taking a job in the UK that paid 2-3 pounds an hour!
Old May 2nd 2007, 4:45 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vicky88
I think this is a generalisation that many can dispute, not the amount of the minimum wage, but that the wages in the USA are crap. Both DH and I are on far more than what we got in the UK. It all depends on what your area of expertise happens to be. All I can say is if you are struggling in your current field, do what you can to change to a career where there is a greater need.
blue collar and lower middle class, it is crap here, if your white collar, you'll probably be on par or better off, it all varies by field and location, far more than it does in the UK.

minimum wage in this country is a massive joke, as is the right to fire.
Old May 2nd 2007, 4:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

farmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to behold

There's federal minimum wage, then each State also has it's own minimum wage laws. In Oregon it's $7.80 per hour.

http://www.dol.gov/esa/minwage/america.htm

In Texas the State minimum wage rate is the same as the Federal rate.

Last edited by farmerwife; May 2nd 2007 at 4:48 pm. Reason: sp.
Old May 2nd 2007, 4:49 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

which is above minimum wage..some states have a higher minimum wage...doesn't mean that people aren't making those shite wages though.
Old May 2nd 2007, 5:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

lolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
which is above minimum wage..some states have a higher minimum wage...doesn't mean that people aren't making those shite wages though.
I am aware of that